to expect a creche to change my lad's nappy?

(33 Posts)
wreckedone Sat 16-Feb-13 12:25:09

My lad is 20mo, and I've just started putting him in a creche for an hour whilst I swim once a week. I was really nervous about it, have suffered from severe PND and the thought of leaving him made me feel physically sick.Went to register him (you have to do this 24hours in advance of needing the place) and the lass commented on him looking older than he is, as he's very tall and quite chatty. He went to the creche, no problem, happy as Larry to go off and play, but when I picked him up, I could smell him the moment they opened the door! I changed him before we got in the car to go home and he'd obviously been sat in it for a while-very red and sore. He makes a HUGE fuss of pooing-pulls faces, grunts etc, and as I mentioned, I could smell him as soon as I walked in-there was only him and a tiny baby there, so they can't have failed to notice, surely? AIBU to expect them to have noticed and changed him before I got there?

dikkertjedap Tue 19-Feb-13 12:13:23

At our swimming pool, the creche doesn't do nappy changes. They don't have the facilities and don't have the staff. It is only for one hour, two at most. So generally speaking the kids should be okay I presume.

wreckedone Tue 19-Feb-13 12:08:55

He is nearly 3 stone to be fair - I breed them big clearly!!

1944girl Mon 18-Feb-13 19:41:32

I used to care for my youngest DGD two days a week.During that time she went to a playgroup for two hours in the morning.She was just under two at the time and was still in a nappy.She always did a poo first thing in the morning, but one morning she failed to oblige.I took her to the playgroup with a spare nappy, and explained the situation to the leader.She said they were not allowed to change nappies,due to child protection laws, and if she needed changing they would have to ring me to come and do it.She said all the staff were just playworkers and were not covered by law to change nappies.

hmm how heavy can a toddler be and how difficult is it to think to use the floor ?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 18-Feb-13 18:56:50

I'm hmm at them too.

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 11:34:21

he is heavy to lift hmm

wreckedone Mon 18-Feb-13 11:32:51

Thanks for replies everyone, took him again today, and noticed that there's a changing bed on the wall in the baby area, so I raised last week's incident. Apparently they hadn't noticed he'd pooed-seems a bit unplausible, but they were very apologetic. They did raise the fact that my lad is quite heavy to lift onto the changing bed, so I said they were welcome to change him on the floor or get someone to put a tannoy out for me in the pool and I'd come up asap. See how it goes....

mrsjay Sun 17-Feb-13 13:52:39

I agree they shouldnt have left a baby in a nappy it is vile and it is neglectful they should have noticed and called for the babies mum to come and change

What I don't understand is that assuming they r working along side children they would have back ground checks done?

And given that my six yr old can change a nappy I'd assume a "training " line to be a load of rubbish.

At very least they should have come to get you. There is no
Excuse IMO for leaving a child sat in poo it's disgusting. And a health hazzard.

Phineyj Sun 17-Feb-13 13:41:04

YANBU -- read your post yesterday and started to worry about the creche at my gym as I'm about to start using it for DD, 8 weeks old. They looked at me like I was mad and said 'of course we change nappies'! They are Ofsted registered and it's a Virgin gym, if that helps.

mrsjay Sun 17-Feb-13 12:48:18

a creche isnt a child care provider like a nursery is though they are mostly run by play workers,

minibmw2010 Sun 17-Feb-13 12:46:47

I'm amazed at the crèches that don't do changes. Are they ofsted rated? My gym one does, I'd be so upset if DS had to sit in a dirty nappy for 2 hours. sad

mrsjay Sun 17-Feb-13 12:35:00

it is a child protection issue really I worked ina creche decades ago and we never changed nappies either (or clothes) unless it was soaked through, I am sure if there was a problem they would have asked for you over the tannoy you are not gone long really try and not worry about it,

MidniteScribbler Sun 17-Feb-13 12:30:53

My gym doesn't do nappy changes, and that's because there are no fully qualified child care workers to manage the facility so they are not allowed to say that they offer care. It's a supervised "play room". It's not designed as proper child care, just as a place for kids to be entertained while the parent works out. When you drop your child off, they give you a pager that works within the centre, and they'll page you if your child needs to be changed, or is upset or hurt.

wreckedone Sun 17-Feb-13 12:14:09

Mike I didn't because he didn't want to leave and was crying and I just wanted to get him away from the room and in the car home for dinner. Creches where they don't have changing facilities, what do they do for little ones who need the loo?

MikeOxardAndWellard Sat 16-Feb-13 21:45:03

Why didn't you say 'he clearly needs a change, why haven't you changed him?' as soon as you got there and smelt him? That would have been my first question, and then 'where are your changing facilities so I can change him myself right now?'.

edwinbear Sat 16-Feb-13 20:45:47

My gym creche changes nappies, the last one I used didn't. I seem to remember it was something to do with a lack of hand washing facilities available for the staff afterwards, but I could be wrong, it was a while ago. I would have expected them to call you back though once they were aware.

JerryLeadbetter Sat 16-Feb-13 20:25:00

My gym creche does change nappies, but perhaps check their 'poo policy' next time you leave him- if not, then ask that they come and get you. Generally YANBU- i'd expect any child care provision to change an obviously dirty nappy, even if they don't do 'routine' nappy changes, but I guess all vary.

Our gym don't change nappies but will call you back in to do it, then you can carry on exercising.

honeytea Sat 16-Feb-13 20:10:17

But don't let it put you off leaving him just make sure they know to come and find you next time smile

UpUpDown Sat 16-Feb-13 20:09:34

caffeine the kids are only in a gym creche for an hour or 2 hours at a time...no need for a routine nappy change in that time

honeytea Sat 16-Feb-13 20:09:32

I would have thought it took just as long to go and find the parent as it would to change a nappy. I think it probably has more to do with them needed health and safety approved changing facilities.

What's the point of looking after children if your not going to actually look after them though? I don't know how crèches work but I wouldnt happy to have my dd left in poo! Surely nappies fall under basic care.

sausagesandwich34 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:44:00

I've never known a crèche change nappies

Not unusual for them not to call either if they need a change but I'm sure they would if you asked smile

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 16-Feb-13 19:40:03

My gym creche don't change nappies. They would go and find the parent straight away though to ask them to change the child. Ask them next time to let you know as soon as he does a number 2. Maybe this time he just did it just before you came back?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now