Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to expect a creche to change my lad's nappy?

(33 Posts)
wreckedone Sat 16-Feb-13 12:25:09

My lad is 20mo, and I've just started putting him in a creche for an hour whilst I swim once a week. I was really nervous about it, have suffered from severe PND and the thought of leaving him made me feel physically sick.Went to register him (you have to do this 24hours in advance of needing the place) and the lass commented on him looking older than he is, as he's very tall and quite chatty. He went to the creche, no problem, happy as Larry to go off and play, but when I picked him up, I could smell him the moment they opened the door! I changed him before we got in the car to go home and he'd obviously been sat in it for a while-very red and sore. He makes a HUGE fuss of pooing-pulls faces, grunts etc, and as I mentioned, I could smell him as soon as I walked in-there was only him and a tiny baby there, so they can't have failed to notice, surely? AIBU to expect them to have noticed and changed him before I got there?

mrsjay Sun 17-Feb-13 13:52:39

I agree they shouldnt have left a baby in a nappy it is vile and it is neglectful they should have noticed and called for the babies mum to come and change

wreckedone Mon 18-Feb-13 11:32:51

Thanks for replies everyone, took him again today, and noticed that there's a changing bed on the wall in the baby area, so I raised last week's incident. Apparently they hadn't noticed he'd pooed-seems a bit unplausible, but they were very apologetic. They did raise the fact that my lad is quite heavy to lift onto the changing bed, so I said they were welcome to change him on the floor or get someone to put a tannoy out for me in the pool and I'd come up asap. See how it goes....

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 11:34:21

he is heavy to lift hmm

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 18-Feb-13 18:56:50

I'm hmm at them too.

hmm how heavy can a toddler be and how difficult is it to think to use the floor ?

1944girl Mon 18-Feb-13 19:41:32

I used to care for my youngest DGD two days a week.During that time she went to a playgroup for two hours in the morning.She was just under two at the time and was still in a nappy.She always did a poo first thing in the morning, but one morning she failed to oblige.I took her to the playgroup with a spare nappy, and explained the situation to the leader.She said they were not allowed to change nappies,due to child protection laws, and if she needed changing they would have to ring me to come and do it.She said all the staff were just playworkers and were not covered by law to change nappies.

wreckedone Tue 19-Feb-13 12:08:55

He is nearly 3 stone to be fair - I breed them big clearly!!

dikkertjedap Tue 19-Feb-13 12:13:23

At our swimming pool, the creche doesn't do nappy changes. They don't have the facilities and don't have the staff. It is only for one hour, two at most. So generally speaking the kids should be okay I presume.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now