to have bought a duplicate of my living room rug to put in the cupboard?

(54 Posts)
Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 21:35:39

saw it reduced to half price today. the original is really grubby and the carpet cleaner isn't working. it's fine for every day use and the dcs to play/lie on but when i saw the sparkly new one today flaunting it's newness i knew i had to have it. but it's going to live in the cupboard under the stairs and only come out when i know i have people coming to the house.

Am I mad Being Unreasonable?

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 22:55:50

yes 5. to be fair my shower screen is inefficient and doesn't stop water spraying on the floor so the mats do get soaked and i just put them in the wash after 1 use (they'd never dry in time for next use), but i've always had roughly 5/6 mats even when i lived in previous houses. i dont know why really, i just have.

i also have always had at least 2 duvet covers for each bed in the house and umpteen amounts of fitted and flat white sheets as well as a mattress topper each, a super padded fitted mattress protector each and a fitted fleece sheet each underneath the fitted/ flat sheet.

i have too much stuff dont i?

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 22:57:13

why just silver shoes?

tethersend Thu 14-Feb-13 23:00:34

Haha, I have just done exactly this grin

Rug 2 sitting in cupboard.

Both of them were half price.

<bumps fists with Booyhoo>

darksideofthemooncup Thu 14-Feb-13 23:06:25

I have done this with a pair of Fly London boots. I have LIVED in the pair I bought this winter and saw they had been reduced so bought another pair and put them away for next winter.

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:29:58

<bumps tethers>

i dont feel quite so mad odd now.

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:32:06

i wonder what's the oddest thing people have done this with?

is it odd that i bought triple quilted toilet roll today because i have friends coming tomorrow night? the asda smartprice will go in the cupboard for the evening.

thebody Thu 14-Feb-13 23:33:28

Excellent planning Boo. Good idea.

thebody Thu 14-Feb-13 23:35:22

Oh just read asda smart price... I brought Kath Kitson hand wash for guest toilet and that's just for guests. Goes in the cupboard until next visit.

Excellent post.

GW297 Thu 14-Feb-13 23:38:32

That is such a good idea!

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:38:52

ooh soap! why didn't i think to buy nice soap? <kicks self>

ah well my soap dispenser is one of those you buy for decoration and then refil so they wont be able to tell. i'll put a few drops of lavender in to make it smell good.

can you tell it's been a loooong time since i've had people in? grin

Booyhoo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:44:25

the best of it is, my best friend is one of the people coming. she's in my house 2/3 times a week. she knows i use SP stuff. do you think she'll be wiping her arse wondering why the hell she doesn't get the good stuff during the week? grin

elfycat Thu 14-Feb-13 23:45:41

A few years ago we found a light fitting in B&Q that we liked. Flush fitting (loft conversion with lower ceiling than rest of house) for the 2 bedrooms.

We bought 2 for each bedroom plus 2 spare. They were £10 each but we have had to use one of the spares so it was worth storing the extra.

I started out having naice hand soaps for guests. But then decided to give the idea as Xmas/ Birthday gifts and use them all year round. Nothing says 'I love me enough to care' as washing toddler poo off my hands with Moulton Brown.

Catchingmockingbirds Thu 14-Feb-13 23:48:27

That's a really good idea smile.

I have a shiny new copy of my livingroom rug stored in my basement grin

When the one in the livingroom one gets a tad grubby Ill move it to the den and put the new one in livingroom

When I was looking for a rug for den I couldnt find one I liked better than the one I had in livingroom and even though the rooms are totally different colours it worked well in den too grin

I ordered a new one on line,they messed up and sent 2,told me they didnt want the other backgrin

I put the livingroom one in the den,one of the new ones in the livingroom and the other is stored all wrapped up in my basement grin

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 00:00:50

that's a good system trout! grin

Blessyou Fri 15-Feb-13 00:00:54

I went back and bought a second identical rug to replace wrecked model #1.
Wish I'd thought to buy a spare!!

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 00:12:26

is there still time blessyou?

thebody Fri 15-Feb-13 07:51:19

Booy, liking the lavender cheat thing.

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 12:44:53

grin

lavender is a magic fix for everything in this house. either that or vinegar, but not sure vinegar in the handwash would have the desired effect hmm

pinkyponk67 Fri 15-Feb-13 12:47:55

What a fantastic idea OP! I need a whole duplicate house for visitors though!

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 15-Feb-13 12:51:31

My sister bought a cheap version of a white gold necklace that I bought so she could wear it day to day and wear the gold one for best confused

Booyhoo Fri 15-Feb-13 12:53:45

ooh a duplicate house! now there's an idea. the one 2 doors down from me is for sale, i could buy it and duplicate this house then when i see people i know arriving, rush out the back and into 'good' house and welcome them into my lovely clean home. grin

FellatioNels0n Fri 15-Feb-13 12:54:36

That sounds inspired and eminently sensible!

Katienana Fri 15-Feb-13 12:57:40

I'm.now wondering if my friend who has white company towels and linen, jo malone toiletries and candles everywhere is doing it for my benefit?!
I really need a second bath mat.

doodledoodoo Fri 15-Feb-13 12:58:28

Great idea.

I do this sort of thing. Bought a second pair of the same boots on Ebay for half the price because I loved them so much.

I have a cat with black eyebrows a black tail too... Ahh...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now