to think frozen mashed potatoes are perfectly reasonable?

(251 Posts)
MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:33:47

Busy day, casserole slow cooking all day so we could just come home and eat. I bought some frozen mash the other week for the first time so thought that would compliment the casserole for a quick and easy dinner.

Dh came home and you'd have thought I'd suggested eating mashed worms, the face he pulled. He declined, on the grounds it would be rank and made himself some chips to go with his casserole instead.

Ds's and I ate the mash, it was lovely and creamy, and not the food of the devil as he'd implied. He wouldn't even try it!

My frozen veg has only included peas and corn on the cob until now. But for 80p a bag (of which we only needed half of) and 5 minutes in the microwave I declare frozen mash is the future.

Aibu?

MrsKeithRichards Sun 17-Feb-13 11:03:59

It's the Phillips air fryer. Basically works like a deep fat frustratingly the yuk fat. Does mean chips, roast potatoes, bacon, steak, roast veg and tons of stuff, it's really great. Doesn't use any oil.

lolalotta Sun 17-Feb-13 07:26:48

OP, what's an air fryer your husband used for his chip?

Jessepinkman Sun 17-Feb-13 07:16:33

Thanks, I read 10 pages wondering what sort of chips they were!

I wish I had a freezer.

FellatioNels0n Sun 17-Feb-13 05:54:54

I will buy frozen peppers though. Sometimes you buy fresh peppers and don't use them, or you don't need a whole one and the rest goes manly before you can use it, or you never have a fresh one when you need one on a whim, so I consider that a cost effectiveness/convenience thing, rather than a time saving thing. The chopped onion freezing is a time saving thing.

FellatioNels0n Sun 17-Feb-13 05:52:17

I won't pay for bags of frozen onions. I do chop them an freeze them (on a shallow flat tray first, so they stay nice and loose and don't clump together in a solid lump) and keep the in a plastic bag. I just don't see the point of paying three times the amount for something I can do so cheaply and easily at home. Mash is different though - it's a faff, and I don't find that freezing my own works so well.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 17-Feb-13 01:58:18

sock let's compare penis size

Rochellemaria Sat 16-Feb-13 23:43:47

Good God,I cant wait to try this-sounds fab!

cocoachannel Sat 16-Feb-13 21:34:37

kind = mins

Maybe with my extra mash time I can learn to type.

cocoachannel Sat 16-Feb-13 21:32:58

That is brilliant. I wanted to make DD some mash today to go with (homemade) cauliflower cheese (I did use ready grated cheese though - shoot me now) and only had a huge potato and short if time. Waitrose frozen mash added to my Ocado!

Personally I'd rather 'cheat' with things like this and have the time to make main meal, bread etc. from scratch. In my house the odd 20 kind here and there really does count for my sanity.

I just make extra mash when I'm doing it from scratch and freeze in cubes for the children. Quick to defrost and heat up and I know exactly what is in it. Works really well and makes brilliant bubble and squeak if you have left over veggies from Sunday lunch.

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 16-Feb-13 20:37:37

I have been known to make my own cheese,butter,yogurt, bacon,sausages well loads of stuff really but there is bugger all wrong with frozen mash/ onions

I'm quite keen on frozen mash nobody else in my household eats potatoes so its very handy for me as it means I get to eat something I like without having to naff about or buy bags of them that never get used.

Op are you seeing my estranged husband? He's about 6'4 built like a brick shit house complete wanker tho and was always convinced frozen mash was that smash stuff.

MrsKeithRichards Sat 16-Feb-13 19:42:51

He did make them from a potato grin He has an airfryer thing, was quick and tasty chips.

I used the frozen mash for tea tonight. It was nice. The texture isn't the same as freshly made mash. Kind of stickier (as well as smoother even than mash made with a ricer). But it was much, much quicker and easier. A useful freezer standby.

Jessepinkman Sat 16-Feb-13 04:51:34

MrsKeith did your dh peel, chip and fry his own potatoes to make his chips? He wouldn't eat frozen oven chips would he?

Megsdaughter Fri 15-Feb-13 19:37:46

I have a DH, who peels a sack of potatoes boils them , mashes them (without butter or milk, puts that in when reheating, it dosn't go soggy that way) then bags in portions and freezes.

Does the same with sweet potatoes, swede and squash. Oh and sliced roast meat and cooked sausages.

We both work, DH working shifts, means a meal can be ready in minutes.

mgrg Fri 15-Feb-13 19:19:23

crikey, is this all you have to think about?

Iggly Fri 15-Feb-13 12:55:11

I wouldn't trust that it is frozen mash TBH wink

Meglet Fri 15-Feb-13 12:42:47

Another one who has just returned from the supermarket with frozen mash.

On the basis of this thread, I have been to sainsbos and bought a pile of freezer fare: mash, onion, garlic, ginger, coriander. I'm hoping for a revelation in my cookery (or at least, less time standing about chopping stuff in the kitchen).

Sugarice Thu 14-Feb-13 19:46:07

Dawn tinned produce don't equal unhealthy wink

I'm not faffing with soaking beans overnight either, I'll never produce a baked bean to even resemble heinz!

Dawndonna Thu 14-Feb-13 19:43:01

We had mexican chilli bean wraps tonight. Really unhealthy coz it uses loads of tins!
Tin of mixed beans,
Tin of tomatoes,
Tin of Kidney beans as well as onion, smoked paprika, basmati rice.
Delicious and in fact very healthy, or should I not be lazy and ensure I soak all my beans overnight?

Sugarice Thu 14-Feb-13 19:39:23

My cheese and onion pie made with freshly cut onions was delish. grin home made pastry too! doncha know! wink

My mexican turkey stew made with defrosted turkey breast , frozen onions, chilli, garlic and mixed frozen veg was also fab and was scoffed with plates almost wiped clean with bread ,shop bought then defrosted, oh the shame! wink

All round winner grin

magimedi Thu 14-Feb-13 18:02:15

The other argument for frozen veg is if you are not cooking for a large family it can be far more economical to use an exact amount of frozen broccoli than buy a large packet & waste some.

And much frozen veg has a far higher vitamin content than fresh.

I certainly intend to try frozen onions as I often only need half an onion to fry off & fresh onions do not keep well.

CHIPS WITH A CASSEROLE???

Leave the bastard wink

ILikeBirds Thu 14-Feb-13 17:51:24

We've had the frozen mash from Ikea that you sometimes get free when you buy the meatballs. It's ok but I wouldn't buy it, but it always seems almost magical how much mash you get from a small amount of pellets! Not tried any other sort and never paid for it directly so don't know how it compares cost wise.

I know when I looked into the onions the price was 60p per kilo for loose onions v. £2 per kilo for frozen onions so more than just a little bit more expensive. Can understand that for some people the extra cost is worth the time saved though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now