Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think frozen mashed potatoes are perfectly reasonable?

(251 Posts)
MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:33:47

Busy day, casserole slow cooking all day so we could just come home and eat. I bought some frozen mash the other week for the first time so thought that would compliment the casserole for a quick and easy dinner.

Dh came home and you'd have thought I'd suggested eating mashed worms, the face he pulled. He declined, on the grounds it would be rank and made himself some chips to go with his casserole instead.

Ds's and I ate the mash, it was lovely and creamy, and not the food of the devil as he'd implied. He wouldn't even try it!

My frozen veg has only included peas and corn on the cob until now. But for 80p a bag (of which we only needed half of) and 5 minutes in the microwave I declare frozen mash is the future.

Aibu?

LouBeee Wed 13-Feb-13 18:46:06

I use it all the time, particularly on top of shepherds pie. It's brilliant and tastes just like homemade - mainly because as above the ingredients are exactly the same. DH eats it happily.

Maryz Wed 13-Feb-13 18:46:27

I think that link to cheat's Shepherd Pie looks great.

I have never seen frozen mash but wouldn't discount it - my kids' favourite is frozen lidl potato croquettes, which I give them as a treat with roasts sometimes.

Surely that's just frozen-mashed-potato-inside-breadcrumbs?

And for the record, my kids like frozen roast potatoes, frozen yorkshire puds and frozen chips (cooked, obvs).

I am a slattern, out and proud!

Sugarice Wed 13-Feb-13 18:47:38

I am a fan of any veg frozen, in fact I buy only frozen broccoli these days and Waitrose frozen mixed grill veg is fab, tastes brilliant.

You were not unreasonable at all MrsKeith. Your dh was bu by not even trying it.

Whatever possessed you to tell him? First rule of quick cheats - don't 'fess up until after everything has been eaten (and hopefully declared delicious).

Maryz Wed 13-Feb-13 18:48:44

And having looked at the ingredients, I have added them to my shopping list grin

SkinnybitchWannabe Wed 13-Feb-13 18:49:26

Frozen mash is great. Tescos and Iceland ones are really nice.
Nothing wrong with frozen vegies either

Frozen mash is just that. It's just boiled mashed frozen potatoes. Nothing synthetic or horrible. HIBU.

Sugarice Wed 13-Feb-13 18:50:20

I might try frozen mash for my shepherds pie topping as my home made mash always sinks on top sad. Will that be any better?

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:50:40

Oh yeah I forgot broccoli, I use that frozen all the time.

slalomsuki Wed 13-Feb-13 18:51:26

Another fan of frozen mash here. It doesn't look too appealing but tastes great especially if you add butter or cream at the final mix. I got in to it via my mum who has too much arthritis to mash potatoes or even peel them and she served it to the kids who loved it. Has to be Waitrose mash though.

Beamae Wed 13-Feb-13 18:51:45

We just had it for the first time recently and it was delish. I was surprised but now sold!

If I bought frozen mash I'd have to stop mashing in the Kitchenaid and that's one of my favourite jobs. I fecked the masher into a hedge the day I bought the KA. grin

Sugarice Wed 13-Feb-13 18:52:14

I do have a potato ricer, bought from Ikea. It's brill but my shepherds pie mash topping always sinks in, where am I going wrong?

kinkyfuckery Wed 13-Feb-13 18:53:34

Nowt wrong with it!

Smartiepants79 Wed 13-Feb-13 18:53:45

I challenge anyone to notice the difference in a blind tasting! Many frozen veg are fab and actually more nutritious as they are frozen so quickly they don't have time to degrade.

ThonHoor another wee paddy crying at the thought here. Is there anything easier than mash? I'm curious though...

My absolute bugbear is frozen omelette, I worked in tesco at uni & ordered omelette for lunch one day, I saw the staff chef take it out of a box in the freezer & asked him wtf he was doing. I swear it would've bounced if it hadn't have been frozen solid <barf> they take 3 mins ffs!

I truly can't believe the prevailance!

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:55:55

Mash s easy but takes a good half hour of peeling, boiling and mashing.

gordyslovesheep Wed 13-Feb-13 18:56:31

oh nowt wrong with frozen veg - including mash!

MrsKeithRichards Wed 13-Feb-13 18:57:03

I have seen frozen baked potatoes, that puzzled me because you can 'bake' one in the microwave in 5 minutes.

AandAmom Wed 13-Feb-13 18:58:53

Morrisons frozen mash with swede and carrots is a gorgeous topping for shep pie smile

LayMizzRarb Wed 13-Feb-13 18:58:57

Never tried it, but have added it enthusiastically to my shopping list. I can also heartily recommend frozen/fresh chopped onions. Weight for weight they are comparable to the rice of unpeeled onions, and it's a lot quicker to stick a tablespoon into the bag and into the freezer. Also, Waitrose also sell resealable pouches of chopped frozen garlic. I will never peel another onion/garlic again.

Sugarice Wed 13-Feb-13 18:59:03

<adds frozen mash to next weeks shop>

manticlimactic Wed 13-Feb-13 18:59:18

Ooh I love frozen mash. It's lump free grin Tastes much better than my attempts. Then there's the peeling, boiling and mashing.

I draw the line at frozen roast potatoes though. They're awful.

GanglyGiraffe Wed 13-Feb-13 18:59:54

My Mum had been bigging it up for ages so I gave in and tried it a few weeks ago. It's great! Tastes good and is so quick and easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now