To think that the DfE and Ofsted are in cahoots?

(22 Posts)
sleepylampost Tue 12-Feb-13 20:13:26

A parent at our school complained to Ofsted about the fact that they did not come back to revisit before the DfE barged in and forced our school to become an academy. Low and behold who did she get a reply from? One of Gove's henchmen, or in this case as henchwoman, at the Department of Education.

I thought Ofsted was supposed to be independent! They seem to be incapable of even answering their own complaints from parents, without deferring to the DfE. Maybe they are too busy with their rubberstamps.

sleepylampost Tue 12-Feb-13 20:14:11

'a' henchwoman

nilbyname Tue 12-Feb-13 20:16:58

It is highly speculated and I woulds say within local governments that Ofsted is the tool by which the DfE are making the changes from regular to academy.

The change in Ofsted criteria says it all really. Schools are set up to "fail" and lo, academies are boen.

Eebahgum Tue 12-Feb-13 20:17:04

Don't think they're independent at all. They always have a government agenda of one kind or another to follow.

wherearemysocka Tue 12-Feb-13 20:23:00

No shit, really? It's in Gove's interest for schools to fail Ofsted and be forced to become academies?

nilbyname Tue 12-Feb-13 20:25:26

where lola grin

SuffolkNWhat Tue 12-Feb-13 20:25:27

Gove and Wilshaw are BFFs. I thought everyone knew that?

wherearemysocka Tue 12-Feb-13 20:28:58

Yes, I am a sarcastic and grumpy teacher.

MamaBear17 Tue 12-Feb-13 20:32:17

YADNBU!

Inertia Tue 12-Feb-13 20:38:27

Ofsted head used to be a director of a company which ran academies.

The govt want to privatise education.

Of course they are all in cahoots.

MadamFolly Tue 12-Feb-13 20:38:59

Gove and Wilshaw sitting in a tree...

amillionyears Tue 12-Feb-13 20:41:45

Ofsted get paid by the Government dont they?
Always look for who gets paid by who

sleepylampost Tue 12-Feb-13 20:50:20

The Guardian thought it was interesting too.... doesn't look like the DfE and Ofsted care who catches them in bed together.

sleepylampost Tue 12-Feb-13 20:51:29

Our petition to shake these critters off our back is nearly at 400... can you help us go higher? www.tinyurl.com/saveroke

Many thanks!

mrsbunnylove Tue 12-Feb-13 21:47:59

an HMI announced at a conference i was at, that ofsted is gove's bitch. i'm not sure that was the word we used, but he made his meaning clear.

sleepylampost Tue 12-Feb-13 21:53:27

@mrsbunny Wow how could inspector talk like that and keep his job? I wish more of them would pipe up.

ChairmanWow Tue 12-Feb-13 22:34:47

I've been involved in an anti-academy campaign at a really lovely primary with a great head and the OFSTED inspection was a joke. The local authority had failed to get any schools to convert voluntarily so OFSTED rolled into town and suddenly found several 'failing' schools.

Gove has a face I could never tire of slapping.

mrsbunnylove Tue 12-Feb-13 22:40:57

@sleepy - it was a subject conference, not an ofsted one. i don't think he expected people to be taking notes. but i was.

sleepylampost Tue 12-Feb-13 22:44:03

They are doing city wide swoops so they can catch several school in a single trawl... analogies with seabed trawling wreaking havoc on little fledgling Oysters/kids abound!

amillionyears Tue 12-Feb-13 22:53:00

Probably being naive here, but weren't acadamies Labour's idea?

sleepylampost Tue 12-Feb-13 23:35:08

Yeah Andrew Adonis's brainchild. Stooopid man did not Tory proof them.

Startail Tue 12-Feb-13 23:44:48

OFSTED are shit full stop, they look for reasons to down grade academies too.

Either as a smoke screen to hide the forced conventions or so the Government can pretend to be being tough on education standards.

Totally unfair on staff and pupils.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now