to not have had/made/gave the children ANY pancakes today?

(59 Posts)

<<awaits flaming>>

We have very eggy pancakes rather often (started doing this when it was the only way to get DS1 to try egg when he was being weaned some 9 years ago ), I had another dinner planned and DSs had asked for apple crumble for dessert.

So I, for one, have been on Pancake Strike today, hmph <<ducks behind barricades>>

wonderstuff Tue 12-Feb-13 20:21:45

dancing I'm loving your style! No pancakes here, only made it home in time for bedtime story and bed. [badmummyemoticon]

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Tue 12-Feb-13 20:21:48

YAB VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY U

Will nobody think of the children. shock

Its not to late to remedy the situation, go on,back into the kitchen. NOW!
Think of the lovely sugery lemonyness.

You don't even have to make them yourself. The ready made ones are perfectly OK.

missorinoco Tue 12-Feb-13 20:24:30

Butter as per the MN recipe. I have no imagination in some aspects of my life. It says melt butter and use some in pan. There are Lemmings that diversify more than me when it comes to following a recipe.

Although now you mention it, it is quite obvious I could have used oil!

missorinoco Tue 12-Feb-13 20:25:55

I tried to give mine pancakes with chocolate spread and bananas once. They looked at me in horror, so I had to eat them all myself. Might try that again tomorrow, hopefully they will still hate the concept.

But, but, but pancakes with Nutella and banana are delicious - shock at your DCs, missorinoco!
I thought butter's ?smoking point was too low for actual frying, non?
I llike butter ON the pancake, melted like, when it's done.

Yes, yes, my DCs are very deprived, almost neglected <<surveyes minimal dinner left-overs>> grin

IME 14 year olds can consume an entire pancake recipe on their own. After dinner. And before dessert grin.

DancingInTheMoonlight Tue 12-Feb-13 20:31:35

wonderstuff i collect ds from the cm an hour before bed! No way i was sending him to bed on a syrupy sugar high! (plus I'm rubbish at making them)

vvviola Tue 12-Feb-13 20:32:23

It doesn't seem to be a thing here (NZ) so DD1 didn't ask. DD2 is allergic to egg and dairy, which makes pancake making a bit more complex.

So, I made an executive decision that we were going to move pancake day to the weekend when I have time to wrestle with the egg/dairy free version & DH is home to wrangle the DDs while I do it.

YANBU- no pancakes here either.

i'm on a diet, DH is in hospital, DS doesn't like them & DD is only 6 months old.

i really wanted them though!

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Tue 12-Feb-13 22:09:39

Don't worry everyone. My DD has just informed me that it is PANCAKE WEEK
.....it's not just today smile

Lovelygoldboots Tue 12-Feb-13 22:16:25

I have had a tooth pulled out today and still made pancakes <awaits flaming for being smug>

spiderlight Tue 12-Feb-13 22:17:16

We had them last Tuesday by accident, after another mum on the school run convinced me that it was pancake day, but they went a bit wrong so I was quite glad of the excuse to have them again today. I even managed to flip them, for the first time ever grin

Lovelygoldboots how smug - having a tooth out doesn't affect your hands does it? You can still wield a pancake flipper..................well you did ask to be flamed grin grin grin

We had pancakes with syrup and peaches (and areosol cream for mine) nom nom nom

bringonyourwreckingball Tue 12-Feb-13 22:28:48

I made the dc American style pancakes for breakfast. I curse every year that pancake day is on a Tuesday as it's my busiest work day and had hoped they wouldn't notice this year but dd2 came out of school yesterday yelling 'pancake day woohoo I love mummy's pancakes' so what could I do?

Pancakeflipper Tue 12-Feb-13 22:29:43

I used the Bero recipe for my special day.
And I mastered the dairy-free ones. I am one happy Pancakeflipper.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 12-Feb-13 22:31:21

I've had two lots today - one at school, more when I got home. Husband cooked them though.

wreckingball, you need to make a stand against the tyrrany that is Pancake Day <<raises fist in defiance>>

Pancake Week shock?? I really don't think so, Donteven...

I feel relieved that I am not entirely on my own with Pancake Refusal today grin.

Lovelygoldboots Tue 12-Feb-13 22:33:26

70isalimitnotatarget, it did affect my hands. The other one has been pressed on the side of my face..<ow emoticon>. To be honest pancakes is the one thing I can do that makes me feel like a good mummy. I can't bake at all.

StuntGirl Tue 12-Feb-13 23:23:58

Ooh we had crepes cannelloni and salad followed by Nigella's mascarpone and ricotta pancakes with rum-steeped strawberries. I may make the rum strawberries to go with everything now, they were that good.

I love pancake day, would be gutted if I missed it. Besides, I have to have something nice before my self-imposed chocolate ban <weeps>

ReturnOfEmeraldGreen Tue 12-Feb-13 23:25:25

YABU. No pancakes?! shock

BluelightsAndSirens Tue 12-Feb-13 23:32:08

Yabu mine had pancakes and sugar for their dinner.

Thingiebob Tue 12-Feb-13 23:32:16

No pancakes here either. I was too busy, pregnant and I'm probably the only one who likes them. I have tried pancakes with Nutella and banana on my three yr old before. I think she thought it was a waste of a perfectly good banana.

DD(4) helped me make the batter, watched me fry the pancakes and helped spread nutella on them. Then in typical 4 year old fashion declared she doesn't like pancakes or nutella. DP and I scoffed the lot and DD had an apple grin

deleted203 Tue 12-Feb-13 23:34:24

Hooray! I'm not the only shit mother in the world! grin I couldn't be arsed with faffing with pancakes, TBH. Easier to cook something else.

I didn't have any either!

Dh made the kids pancaked with bacon and maple syrup for dinner!

Ds asked why he was having breakfast at dinner time!

madbengal Wed 13-Feb-13 00:11:25

we had pancakes today DD had a friend round so was meant to be a joint effort, except I was left doing all the work while they plonked themselves on sofa ummmm think I missed that trick lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now