to think people who serve up American pancakes on Pancake day and crepes for breakfast should be shot?

(110 Posts)
ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:03:10

Well am I?

I have to add a disclaimer that one of my parents is American and the other English so the only time I got crepes/thin pancakes was on Shrove Tuesday and American pancakes were a frequent breakfast treat (which I really don't like).

I would be soooo disappointed (and have been in the past) to get them served at the wrong time.

AIBU?

steppemum Tue 12-Feb-13 23:54:48

well, just to be awkward we had DUTCH pancakes, followed by crepes or English pancakes by request.

Dutch pancakes are thick with things in them like cheese and ham. So we started with thick cheese and ham pancakes.

Then we had thin pancakes (English) or crepes (very thin) depending on what people wanted.

On the table we had golden syrup, lemon juice, sugar, chocolate squeezy sauce and squirty whipped cream, with a bowl of chopped bananas, and kids just did what they wanted.

If we have them for breakfast I use jamie Oliver recipe with raising agent and grated pear and make them small and round and serve with syrup and yoghurt/sour cream

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Wed 13-Feb-13 00:04:42

I love all pancakes but Crepes are different to English pancakes. They are not as bubbly and are a bit thinner and crispier.

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Wed 13-Feb-13 00:07:07

steppemum. That sounds like pancake heaven.

I made American ones tonight, they were delish

steppemum Wed 13-Feb-13 00:13:27

it was - I had a thin pancake with banana, chocolate sauce and whipped cream, then folded (crepe style) in half and half again.

actually we often have pancakes with odd fillings for saturday lunch. I can whisk up a batter with my eyes closed!!! (dutch husband - pancakes are very dutch)

munchkinmaster Wed 13-Feb-13 00:23:22

Thanks for recipes!

Erm, aren't you meant to cook pancakes in lard?

steppemum Wed 13-Feb-13 00:38:41

LARD???? Yuck

I use sunflower oil.

Always butter here, wiped over the surface with kitchen roll.

We had buckwheat blinis at the weekend and sort-of crepes last night. smile

But now you bastards have got me wanting bacon and American-style ones too. angry

<rolls self out of thread>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now