Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

to think people who serve up American pancakes on Pancake day and crepes for breakfast should be shot?

(110 Posts)
ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:03:10

Well am I?

I have to add a disclaimer that one of my parents is American and the other English so the only time I got crepes/thin pancakes was on Shrove Tuesday and American pancakes were a frequent breakfast treat (which I really don't like).

I would be soooo disappointed (and have been in the past) to get them served at the wrong time.

AIBU?

ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:21:53

@selfconfessed how ould they be whipped in a packet mix?

Gosh, people really don't understand pancakes do they.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 12-Feb-13 19:22:04

I mean poffertjes godammit!

Pandemoniaa Tue 12-Feb-13 19:23:13

I'm having good, old fashioned English pancakes like what my dm made - neither thick nor thin but always served with lemon and sugar. The only sort of pancake for pancake day, imho.

LauraPashley Tue 12-Feb-13 19:23:31

Could someone wise please clarify the difference between the 3, in terms of recipes?

</sarcasm about egg whites>

My kids are probably eating their pancakes that I made last night to take to school and share with their American friends (who now expect pancakes on pancake day). How many meals of pancakes is acceptable in one day?

ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:25:55

American = has a raising agent in it. Plus, probably sugar.

Crepes = eggs, milk and plain flour

What people on here are caling 'Pancakes' = crepes poured out badly (too much batter in pan)

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Tue 12-Feb-13 19:26:36

<sits next to LauraPashley and awaits pancake/crepe/American pancake enlightenment>

We had 'pancakes' - flour, eggs, milk, thin and with a choice of sweet fillings - Nutella, sugar and lemon, Golden Syrup.

wipes golden syrup from chin

Last year I did a feast of savoury and sweet. We were then pancaked out grin

no, pancakes are cooked in butter and have brown yummy bobbly bits on them where the batter hits a pocket of butter. Crepes are drier and flatter.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Tue 12-Feb-13 19:28:00

ahaaa, no then in that case I make crepes <smug>

Mine are delightfully thin and according to DD even better than any she has ever said (and we ate crepes in Paris!) wink

I may have to go and show those Frenchies how to do it proper like grin

munchkinmaster Tue 12-Feb-13 19:28:42

I would love a recipe for American pancakes? Anyone got a link

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Tue 12-Feb-13 19:29:10

OP are you trying to goad us into a bun pancake fight?

<hoiks bosom>

ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:29:22

I don't buy this 'crepes are dry' business. They are crisp around the edges when made in a proper pan. Which is also wiped with butter. Like pancakes.

Pandemoniaa Tue 12-Feb-13 19:29:48

I am not making badly poured crepes as it happens. What I am not making is American pancakes.

<defends the delicious pancakes that have never been described as a mistake before>

Saski Tue 12-Feb-13 19:29:53

American pancakes are better, so YABU.

English pancakes are more like swedish pancakes... well like the swedish pancakes I've had cooked by swedish friends (never been to sweden).

I add melted butter to my batter too.

ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:30:15

www.marthastewart.com/338185/basic-pancakes

But whisk the egg whites separatly and fold them in at the end.

MamaBear17 Tue 12-Feb-13 19:30:47

YABU. Crepes, or 'traditional' pancakes are gross. American pancakes are lovely, fluffy drops of heaven that you can top with piles of fruit and chocolate sauce. I wouldn't eat them for breakfast as they are too sweet for my taste, but as a yummy treat they are great!

JeeanieYuss Tue 12-Feb-13 19:30:57

Google is your friend for american pancake recipe smile

ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:32:07

I think some people just like American pancakes as they are greedy. One American pancakes = 4 of your English kind.

ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:33:15
CarlingBlackMabel Tue 12-Feb-13 19:34:21

Is today really a day to be pancakist?

SpoonyFucker - you are rigt. The mere mention of creme de marrons has persuaded me.

(mine probably are badly poured crepes - but deliberately so. Crepes, surely are cooked on a flat round griddle thing, not in a frying pan?)

ethelb Tue 12-Feb-13 19:35:13

@carling I would say so. Mine aren't really crepes as they are made in a frying pan.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Tue 12-Feb-13 19:37:47

ah, mine aren't "technically" crepes either then, as also made in frying pan.

They have the crispy edge though and are delish, so call 'em what you will.

American pancakes - have tried and failed to make them. I lived off them when I worked in the States many moons ago, I remember being horrified by crispy bacon and maple syrup - until I tentatively tried it....mmmmmmmmmm memories.

CarlingBlackMabel Tue 12-Feb-13 19:37:51

And can crepes be tossed?

Can I add scotch pancakes into the mix. I think englishers call the drop scones, they are very similar to crumpets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now