To have told a woman she couldn't go ahead of me in a queue in Lidl?!

(60 Posts)
NoNoNooooo Tue 12-Feb-13 12:24:51

Today I was lining up to pay for my things with my son, who'd just woken up 5 mins earlier. He normally has a melt down when waking up outside the house so I wanted to get out of there quickly before he started.

As I was standing waiting, a woman came and stood next to me and started lingering towards the till, attempting to cut infront. I'd been standing there about 5 mins or more and there were only two tills open today which were both busy.

I pushed my pushchair ahead and began putting my things on the belt when she tapped me on the shoulder and said "do you mind if I go ahead of you?"
I replied (thanks to MN) "No". I don't know how she misunderstood but she replied "thank you" and was about to put her things down when I said "No, I have a baby and he will start crying any minute now".

She looked at me shocked like no one has ever said "no" to her before, and my face went red and I just turned my face the other way in embarrassment. My baby didnt end up crying, but was I wrong to not let her go ahead? She had two big packets of popcorn and something else in her hand I think. I had a basketful of fruit and milk, that's all.

CheeseandPickledOnion Tue 12-Feb-13 12:40:11

Well to be fair, I can see how she misunderstood.

She asked 'do you mind?'. You said 'no'. Which insinuates you don't mind!

That's probably why she looked confused. But no, there is no reason you should have let her. No one person is more entitled than any other.

MonstrousPippin Tue 12-Feb-13 12:41:48

She probably just looked shocked because you seemed like you changed your mind in the space of 5 minutes.

Despite this, I do think use of "No is a complete sentence" in this case would be going a bit far. You'd just seem rude and a grumpy cow. If she asked you nicely, just reply nicely with something like "sorry, but I'd rather go first because I've got the baby".

MonstrousPippin Tue 12-Feb-13 12:42:14

5 seconds not 5 minutes

Arithmeticulous Tue 12-Feb-13 12:44:00

Whoops.

Numberlock Tue 12-Feb-13 12:44:29

Well we need to know what those 2-3 items were so we can judge, No. grin

atthewelles Tue 12-Feb-13 12:45:49

Thank you OP. Finally we can prove that 'no' is not a full sentence. I hate it when people on MN give that advice. A blunt 'no' is rude. Fine, if you are deliberately trying to be rude to someone who is pissing you off but in most situations 'no' is not a complete sentences, it's a grumpy response.

alemci Tue 12-Feb-13 12:47:01

why can't people wait their turn. I would never ask. If someone offered then fine. I would sometimes offer if i had a trolley and someone had a couple of things.

My pet hate is when the person behind you brings their trolley right up to the cashier when you are paying and hassles you. I got so fed up the other day after patiently queuing on a busy till and being late myself and then the lady behind me did this.

I said would you please excuse me and she moved the trolley back.

stormforce10 Tue 12-Feb-13 12:51:37

YANBU though if you were able to it would have been nice of you. I nearly always let people go in fornt if htey've just a small number of things. Sometimes I haven't even finished unloading my trolly before they've paid and left.

Big thank you the lovely lady in Aldi this morning who suggested I go in front of her as DS was sitting in his car seat on the trolly and screaming the place down. We both had about the same amount of stuff in trollies. I think she didn't want to listen to him longer than necessary - she even came up and helped me sling everything into my big bags so I could get out quicker smile Lovely lady

seaofyou Tue 12-Feb-13 12:52:24

YWNBU

I was in Lidl 2 months ago and other till openned and I went towards it man behind me in queue tried to overtake me but couldn't beat megrin

I had ds who has AS with me who hates waiting and shops full stop and would have had melt down if I started letting people go infront.

He then said can I go ahead I only got 3 items...to which I pointed down to my trolley 'No, I only got 4 items'(4 packs of flavoured water I couldn't carry as too heavy hence needed trolley).

BourbonsandTea Tue 12-Feb-13 12:52:39

hahaha oh dear! Don't dwell on it.. but I do think you should Namechange to NoNoNoooooIMeanYes

AlienReflux Tue 12-Feb-13 12:53:47

I asked a woman yesterday if she would mind, we reached the check out at exactly the same time, she had a trolley, and I had a four pack! (she didn't mind , so said no!!) grin

AnnIonicIsoTronic Tue 12-Feb-13 12:55:07

Signpost it:

"sorry -no"
"no - of course not"

Misunderstanding eliminated.

seaofyou Tue 12-Feb-13 12:55:25

Bourbon sounds like the man in Vicar of Dib grin

YeahBuddy Tue 12-Feb-13 13:02:49

I hate that too alemci! Also hate it when people stand over you when paying - get out of my personal space and wait your bloody turn!!

Never mind OP, just look out for a thread about you later gringrin

TomArchersSausage Tue 12-Feb-13 13:07:28

Lol this is very funny thoughgrin. Like one a Two Ronnies sketch.

zippey Tue 12-Feb-13 13:08:06

To be honest, if someone was polite and they asked if they could go in front, I would have let them. I know you had a baby, but its not the end of the world if baby starts crying. Its the little things we do, being neighborly and all that make the world a nicer place to live in.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 12-Feb-13 13:09:17

Never mind. I'm sure on the Karma scale far, far worse things will be done today, I reckon you might have to wait a while for that bite on the bum (and even if it did, it would be more like a tickle than a bite).

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Tue 12-Feb-13 13:12:52

This winds me up, I'll often offer if they have a few items and I have lots. But they should wait to be asked not just push in front basically telling you.
Like pulling out of junctions, don't assume I'll let you go that's just rude. But I will let you go if your waiting patiently!!

Scholes34 Tue 12-Feb-13 13:25:29

I don't see the relevance of her "two big bags of popcorn" against your "fruit and milk". It's almost implying her shopping wasn't worthy.

GetOrf Tue 12-Feb-13 13:28:18

Bless you OP grin

FellatioNels0n Tue 12-Feb-13 13:30:07

hahaha, poor old NoNoNooo grin I can see how the mistunderstanding happened, but she was still being unreasonable if you only had a small basket of stuff. Understandable if you had a great trolley load, but you didn't have much more than her.

that is the obvious flaw in 'No is a complete sentence.' grin

PickledInAPearTree Tue 12-Feb-13 13:30:14

Someone asked me this once in Spar.

They had no teeth mad scarey eyes and looked pissed and really violent, I said of course not you go ahead, sir.

FellatioNels0n Tue 12-Feb-13 13:38:16

I live in the middle east and people do this ALL the time. Drives me nuts. To be fair the supermarkets are terrible at opening tills for 10 items or fewer, so most people will offer if they have tons and someone behind them only has a little bit. But some people are incredibly rude and pushy and expect to go ahead even if they have the same or more shopping than you, and loads of people don't even ask - they just squeeze themselves in, waving money under the cashiers nose, or they waltz up to the head of the queue, bold as brass. I see it every day. shock

At least in supermarkets there is a queue, albeit a slightly disorganised one. Trying to queue up in any kind of an outdoor market or at a bar or a counter with no obvious line is enough to make you have Shop Rage. People are so unbelievably rude and will just jostle and barge and totally ignore the fact that you are halfway through a transaction, and will just start talking to the shop assistant as if you are not there. confused The old people are the worst.

alemci Tue 12-Feb-13 13:46:01

pickled in a pear smile

very sensible. can just picture it. do you think he had left his dentures at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now