to think women should be able to go topless?

(53 Posts)
BegoniaBampot Mon 11-Feb-13 23:55:43

just watching telly. two young people handing out flyers in london and they take their tops off in the street. policeman asks girl to put her top on but not the guy a she is deemed indecent but why can a man take their top off but a woman is seen as indecent?

HecateWhoopass Tue 12-Feb-13 07:09:09

It's because we (society) have sexualised breasts. They're not mammary glands, there to feed the young. They're pert sexy things, shoved into push up bras, there to arouse...

That's partly why some people do the whole 'disgusted' thing about breastfeeding. Those people see breasts as sexual. Whether they admit it or not.

That said, I think everyone looks better with (decent and well fitting) clothes on, so I'd pitch for the keeping ON of men's tops, rather than the taking off of women's grin

ErikNorseman Tue 12-Feb-13 07:10:24

In principle, I agree with you. In reality, I do not want to see tits all over the place. I can handle (other women) topless on the beach, breastfeeding is obviously different, but topless women wandering the street? No thanks. I would also prefer it if men weren't allowed to be topless other than on the beach to be honest.

claraschu Tue 12-Feb-13 07:18:49

Ankles used to be obscene in our culture. Faces and hair are currently obscene in other cultures (only women's of course).
I agree with the posters who say people would get used to toplessness pretty fast. It still looks ugly for most of us, but there are also lots of ugly clothes around.

Yanbu if you had said on the beach, but seeing titties everywhere on the street would be rather ott and would be yet another thing for men to get rocks off too!
I'd prefer men to be given the same rules, especially with all the hairy 9m preggers looking mens bellies round here last summergrin!

I didn't know their was a legal difference! How unfair.

I agree, should either be both covered or neither have to be. (tempted by both...)

manicinsomniac Tue 12-Feb-13 07:33:47

I think YABU really. I've seen that tv programme before and I can see the girl's point but you can't just change the whole of society by one girl making a statement like that.

Unless you have personally breastfed a child I don't think breastfeeding is seen as the primary function of breasts at all. Biologically it may be but societally they are sexual body parts. Neither gender could go bottomless because it would automatically be seen as indecent and, perhaps unfortunately, women are seen as having sexual parts on both top and bottom halves of our bodies.

Plus, it would be rather uncomfortable!

BegoniaBampot Tue 12-Feb-13 09:49:33

guess i would rather see the rule applied to both sexes as sometimes i have felt uncomfortable in certain situations with guys topless. don't know if the laws are different, anyone know? always been a little interested in naturists, looks really liberating, might have to give it a go.

Sallyingforth Tue 12-Feb-13 10:12:35

There is a time and place for everything.
I love the feeling of the sun on my body and always have my breasts uncovered on the beach or at home in the garden. But not in the street, it just doesn't feel right.

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 12-Feb-13 10:19:50

Legally, the Sexual Offences Act 2003 forbids the exposure of genitals, buttocks or female breasts in a public place. In some Middle Eastern companies, exposure of any part of the female body is considered indecent, but that's a bit long-winded to get into here.

You do not need to commit a sexual act, just to expose any of the body parts listed. If you do commit a sexual act, you'll also be guilty of public indecency, which carries a harsher sentence.

Branleuse Tue 12-Feb-13 10:27:33

i dont think it should be illegal

BegoniaBampot Tue 12-Feb-13 10:37:03

so the law IS reinforcing the idea that breasts are sexual. interesting.

ErikNorseman Tue 12-Feb-13 10:40:19

But breasts are sexual. It's not an idea, it's a fact. They are dual purpose. Nature's multi tasking.

Breasts are natures way of feeding a baby, but they are also a sexual bodypart-Fact.
If they were not, the majority of women wouldn't get sexual feelings from them being touched!

crescentmoon Tue 12-Feb-13 10:53:15

but in those same middle eastern countries breastfeeding in public is perfectly normal and even a veiled woman can get her boob out to feed her child without remark. that is just another culture's way to balance breasts as sexual organs and breasts as mammary glands to feed young.

TheFallenNinja Tue 12-Feb-13 10:55:51

Men have enough trouble concentrating.

Oh ffs

BegoniaBampot Tue 12-Feb-13 10:56:24

but what about mens nipples then. can they not be sexual. tbh, i don't get turned on by my breasts being touched or sucked. my arms and back though...

LadyBigtoes Tue 12-Feb-13 11:00:16

I've thought about this too. I often think when it comes to arguments about burqas etc - it's oppressive if women and not men are either supposed or forced to cover their hair or face, and I don't like it, but UK culture and law are the same, in that there are different rules for men and women re their top halves. I don't actually think topless is particularly a good look for either sex, but the expectations and the law should be the same for both.

So the Canadian system seems like a good idea.

Bunfags Tue 12-Feb-13 11:25:08

YANBU, but why would anyone want seedy men oggling their tits? Some blokes might go away and fap about it afterwards. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the idea of pervy old men fapping over my boobs makes me feel rather ill.

StuntGirl Tue 12-Feb-13 18:08:48

I can see the girl's point but you can't just change the whole of society by one girl making a statement like that.

Tell that to Rosa Parks. Or Mohammed Bouazizi. Or Emily Davison. Or Martin Luther King... One person can have the power to be pretty revolutionary.

Many people get aroused from people touching their necks too pumpkin, I don't see any issues requiring to cover that body part up.

Sallyingforth Tue 12-Feb-13 18:18:22

I don't care in the slightest who sees my body, it's nothing to be worked up about. I'm usually sunbathing topless in the garden on the rare occasions it's warm enough, and in really hot weather I'm often around the house in just knickers or nothing at all. I'm quite happy to pop outside to the bin like that. Yes we are overlooked a bit but I have more important things to worry about than who can see my tits.

catgirl1976 Tue 12-Feb-13 18:24:22

I go topless (and nude) abroad and it's nice because you don't feel your nakedness is something sexual

Whereas here it very much is

That said I wouldn't wish to be topless in a restaurant or at work

somedayma Tue 12-Feb-13 19:10:50

Yanbu

GregBishopsBottomBitch Tue 12-Feb-13 19:21:49

What is the fascination with tits, just masses of fat and flesh, with a nipple attached.

HecateWhoopass Wed 13-Feb-13 16:35:06

I know. Weird, isn't it.

It seems it's actually the nipple that's the issue. You see some really skimpy things but as long as the nipple area is covered - it's not obscene grin Hint of areola and it's smelling salts all round. grin

GregBishopsBottomBitch Wed 13-Feb-13 16:47:56

But men have nipples too, so whats the difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now