To think this bus driver was a complete penis this morning...

(124 Posts)
Mawgatron Mon 11-Feb-13 19:36:22

So, it's snowing. It's 6.50 am (therefore very dark). I have money (£10 note). Get on the bus, apologise for lack of change. This has happened loads of other times, bus driver always fine about it, but I am always overly apologetic anyway.
Fare is £2.30, driver has no change, tells me he will take the tenner and I will have to do without my £7.70 change or get off the bus. I explain that I am 5 months pregnant, it is snowy and slippery on the pavement, I have money and am prepared to pay, but not without change. It will take 40 mins to walk in the dark. He basically tells me tough shit.
Aibu to think he should have let me on without paying, as it is their problem if they don't have any change?
No one else was on the bus, so there would have been no one to spot him helping me out. He was really arsey and rude.
I may have called him a cock loudly once off the bus. Whoops. I am aware that that was unreasonable, but I was fuming (and freezing).

KobayashiMaru Tue 12-Feb-13 19:10:45

they are totally not allowed to open the door when pulled away from the stop, its an instant dismissal offence.

tiggytape Tue 12-Feb-13 19:35:32

ZEN - YABtotallyU. They can't let people on and off in traffic jams even if the traffic is at a standstill. They'd have people weaving through cars to get on and off all along the route!

Bunfags Tue 12-Feb-13 19:56:26

YANBU. What a wanky jobsworth.

A bus driver took me to just outside my house because I'd got on the wrong bus. There were only a couple of people on there apart from me, they didn't mind and it was only a 10 minute detour. So, that cock-end could have been much nicer about things.

Mawgatron Tue 12-Feb-13 20:56:10

Don't actually live in London - it isn't the centre of the universe after all! I live in a town where it has never been a problem to use a note, so why would it be selfish to pay with one? I wasn't expecting a free ride - he could have offered a solution other then I am keeping your change!
Sometimes you can't always get change, I had to get cash out that morning, as I explained earlier I hadn't planned to cycle until I woke up and it had snowed. , no shop open to get change, what was I supposed to do??

Mawgatron Tue 12-Feb-13 21:00:57

Had planned. Bloody iPhone!

KobayashiMaru Tue 12-Feb-13 21:38:43

Some of you people have ridiculous ideas of what bus drivers should do for you. You realise if they did all the things you seem to think they should they would all be fired and you wouldn't have any buses?
Fucks sake, free rides, magically appearing change, straight to your door, hop on and off wherever you like, including in the middle of traffic....what the fuck are you on? GET TAXIS YOU LOONS!

Bogeyface Tue 12-Feb-13 22:20:42

I used the buses when my car was off the road but we did change mainly to taxis. Not for any other reason than as long as it was me and atleast one other fee paying passenger (the kids counted) then a taxi was cheaper. And it was door to door.

As long as that is the case, the bus companies will get fewer and fewer paying customers and be reserved for disabled and OAP pass holder.

You may well in the past had drivers who let you on or had change to give you but this particular bus driver didn't and he clearly told you. If there were any other ways he would of told you but clearly there wasn't. How hard is it for you to understand they have their jobs to keep - what if he did you a good deed and let you on because he couldn't provide you with change and didn't want to keep your whole £10 ,then an inspector gets on at the next stop and he is caught out, disciplined and could even be dismissed from his job. Your overly apologetic manner won't fix that.

He is doing his job as per the rules set by the bus company and for you to then call him a cock is completely unreasonable.

Just learn from this and keep a change jar at home.

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Wed 13-Feb-13 00:42:18

youfhearted Senior citizen bus passes can only be used after 9.30 here. Now that they have to swipe them it is more strictly adhered to but I do see the occasional one who gets on before 9.30 and the driver lets it go.

EnjoyResponsibly Wed 13-Feb-13 19:14:44

So OP have you decided to not report the driver?

Mawgatron Wed 13-Feb-13 19:45:41

I went to phone them, to politely suggest a reasonable float might be worth having, but they are only open between 9 and 3.30 when I am working. Will try them next week when I am on half term.

Bunfags Wed 13-Feb-13 19:57:02

Actually OP is B very U. I keep seeing the words "bus driver" and "penis" in the thread title. Then I click and it's not what I'm expecting. YAB vv U. [[ http://static4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/son+_29f1c49127e71bb8cf304102ace66f0a.jpg You make me sad OP.]]

grin

Bunfags Wed 13-Feb-13 19:58:21

Bollocks You make me sad

Sugarice Wed 13-Feb-13 19:58:41

Mawgatron let it go and have a pot of change to dip into for bus journeys for future bus use.

Don't waste your phone time to suggest to them that they should have a float , you will sound like an arse and be the butt of staff room jokes. Unless you feel very strongly about such a thing.

SomethingOnce Wed 13-Feb-13 21:00:08

Yeah, they will all think YWereBU and will call you a cock/penis.

Pick your battles.

makemineamalibuandpineapple Wed 13-Feb-13 22:12:18

YADNBU. A bus is no different from a shop in my opinion and should have enough change no matter if you are the first person of the day. In the past on the few occasions I have turned up with a £10/20 note I have had mixed reactions with some drivers grumbling. However, you would never get that in a shop so why is a bus different. Definitely complain OP.

Bogeyface Thu 14-Feb-13 00:50:44

make how many buses do you know with safes on them? You know, to keep the bags of change in for entitled idiots like you who dont think ahead?

And what of the security of the drivers? All it takes is word to get round and every driver on the first route of the day will be robbed!

Bogeyface Thu 14-Feb-13 00:51:50

Oh and shops dont run to a timetable, I am sure you would be the first to moan that your bus to work or to a hospital appointment was late because every passenger on it needing change for a £20. Some people........hmm

So drivers should be going around with enough change to provide £10/£20 worth of change to any passenger who needs it?

Get a grip!

Our local bus services (Stagecoach) give their drivers £10 of change for the float and that is it; the chances of them being robbed for their floats is quite high here, why should they risk that for one unprepared passengers convenience?

Bogeyface Thu 14-Feb-13 01:05:38

Most buses have a total capacity of 50+ . Lets assume that it is half full, so 25 people, all paying with £20 notes for a £2.30 journey. The driver would need over £400 in change just for one journey! To be sure of having enough change for each passenger in a single shift he would need to carry thousands!

And you think that's reasonable?!

WorraLiberty Thu 14-Feb-13 01:10:38

Christ what happened to taking responsibility OP?

You say 'this has happened loads of other times'

Well keep a float in your handbag instead of expecting other people to take responsibility for you when you decide to hop on a bus.

Pilgit Thu 14-Feb-13 07:35:59

our local buses start the day with NO float. as have frequently been the first on had to make sure i always had change - one morning i paid in 5 and 10 p's!

HollyBerryBush Thu 14-Feb-13 07:39:11

Don't you have the equivalent of an oyster card?

Bus drivers rarely carry change becasue they get mugged - thats why they are in perspex boxes!

Rhiannon86 Thu 14-Feb-13 07:42:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now