to think that Thomas the Tank Engine should be sent to the smelter's yard?

(82 Posts)
WorriedMummy73 Sun 10-Feb-13 23:09:28

I watched the original episodes with my youngest brother when he was little. And we bought the original series 1 for DS (now 8). He was really into Thomas and now ds2 (age 4) is too. He's had the latest film for three Christmases in a row and I really feel that Thomas has become a sanctimonious little turd who causes problems which then take over a bloody hour to sort out!

Case in point - the one with the sodding Jobi wood. Fat Controller says the most useful engine will get to collect the wood. So Diesel says he will be the most useful. Thomas - 'oh no, only steamies can be really useful'. Cue Diesel trying to prove he's really useful, failing miserably, Thomas saves the day. Which, if he'd been a bit more sensitive in the first place, he wouldn't have had to do.

Case in point 2 - two new engines arrive on Sodor. Thomas (obviously, because every other engine is fecking useless compare to him) is chosen to show them around. Goes off to do so, blatantly bins off Percy (best friend) in the process, Percy falls in with a bad lot (diesels again - and how camp is Diesel 10?) and tragedy ensues.

Am I the only one thinking that for the hero of the show he's a bit of a shit?

Disclaimer: this is not a serious post. I am not for one second really suggesting that an engine be sent to the smelters yard or otherwise punished. I don't need to be told 'it's only a kids show' or that 'I'm taking it far too seriously'. Am now awaiting the first person to tell me that they feel sorry for my children smile

MrsGeologist Sun 10-Feb-13 23:37:12

In the Freat Fire if Ponty Pandy, they have to evacuate the town, and they make a big song and dance about it, when there's only, like, ten of them in this quite large village. It's, frankly, a bit bloody embarrassing for them. They could all fit on Trevor's mini bus.

Footface Sun 10-Feb-13 23:43:03

You are not wrong, bloody thomas causes all the problems, he meddles and causes confusion and delay.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 10-Feb-13 23:46:48

I don't watch Thomas, but can someone please let me know what happened to the one who got bricked up in the tunnel? Was there a happy ending? I'm not going to be able to sleep.....

Love the Great Fire of Ponty Pandy!

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Sun 10-Feb-13 23:47:56

They're 2 they're 4 they're 6 they're 8
Shunting trucks and hauling freight

<whistles>

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Sun 10-Feb-13 23:49:56

In the Polish version Thomas is called Tomek
Doesn't make him any less irritating though

smile

PurpleStorm Sun 10-Feb-13 23:50:12

I think that Henry got let out after Gordon burst his safety valve and the Fat Controller couldn't find any other engines strong enough to pull the express train.

And Henry was absolutely filthy after being bricked up for months. So much for protecting his paintwork!

KatoPotato Sun 10-Feb-13 23:53:13

Today on the island of Sodor... We meet a new engine that DS will whine that he doesn't have...

Bloody belligerent sentient engines and their mixed up rules!

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 10-Feb-13 23:53:41

I don't know what happened in the TV version, but in the book version (the "real" version, sniff) Henry got let out to pull the Express when Gordon broke down. He was very grateful and promised not to be so silly again, if I remember rightly. I think he might have got a new coat of paint out of it aswell, as he was so dusty from being shut up in the tunnel for so long.

Not sure why Gordon broke down, but he always was temperamental.

Rev Awdry would never have turned a narrow gauge engine into a generator, surely? Though the bus did get turned into a chicken coop (served it right, though - you can't go round nicking railway passengers and expect to get away with it).

RedHotRudieParts Sun 10-Feb-13 23:55:17

Yanbu, also Bella of Tweenies fame needs a punch in the face, she's an utter cow !

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 10-Feb-13 23:55:29

As you can tell, I was brought up on Thomas the Tank Engine. Steam engines in general, really. And my parents wondered why I cried when they took me to the scrap yard on Barry Island for a day out (don't see why couldn't have just gone to the seaside like other families).

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 10-Feb-13 23:56:09

Yes, I've wanted to slap Bella for years. Bloody know it all.

ComposHat Sun 10-Feb-13 23:59:22

* It's not just Henry. A narrow gauge engine gets turned into a generator for being naughty, positioned so he can see the trains going past, and the bus gets turned into a chicken coup for stealing the railway passengers, and (correct me if I'm wrong, I wasn't paying attention) but aren't Bash, Dash and Ferdinand essentially abandoned on misty Island for not being useful enough?*

The fat controller sounds like a crazed tinpot dictator and his demands that the engines be ' really useful' sounds like something out of Nazi Germany and I was against that.

SamuelWestsMistress Mon 11-Feb-13 00:06:44

Ever since childhood I've thought that Thomas and his friends are possibly the freakiest and ugliest most hideous things invented for children's TV.

No doubt this post will be deleted for being offensive somehow!

mummymeister Mon 11-Feb-13 00:10:44

if you think this is bad my 3 are now on to buffy the vampire slayer - oh yes all 7 series of them. good vs evil, evil starts to win but oh thank the lord good fights back and evil is defeated. episode after episode after episode. i dream of hearing that lovely thomas music again - dah dah dah dahhhh dah dah dahhhha.

DoYaDontYa Mon 11-Feb-13 00:12:03

Glad I'm not the only one to think this about Thomas the flipping tank .
3 years my Ds was obsessed with the crap , using there words etc .
Thankfully he has just come out of his obsession & no longer do I have to see or hear the crap again ha ha grin

BrittaPerry Mon 11-Feb-13 00:12:05

"Thomas and he FENDS!"

That was what I heard 6am every morning for about six months off dd2...now she has a bed she goes off on a wander to find a train to drive over my face first...

She has also told me "I running on time!" when I asked her to hurry up, remarked that hills are "a big hill for Gordon!" and other such train themed remarks. She has Thomas shoes, wellies, t shirts,pencil case, pyjamas, duvet, cushions, blanket, endless endless books and little plastic toys...basically whenever anyone wants to buy her something, she gets Thomas stuff :-)

She is three. When does it stop?

There exists a book for grownups explaining the peoples and history of Sodor, but it is really really expensive on Amazon.

My little boy prefers Peppa Pig. I've tried to get him into Thomas, but he's not loving it.

I am very jealous how Miss Rabbit multitasks so well. In an episode I was half watching the other day, she was driving a bus. I said to my DH "that's the campest rabbit in the world". He said "its a woman"

Oh. Guilty of stereotyping here! :-)

ComposHat Mon 11-Feb-13 00:15:09

And my parents wondered why I cried when they took me to the scrap yard on Barry Island for a day

If it is any consolation the majority of preserved steam trains in the UK were taken from the Barry scrapline as they were slower to dispose of them than other breakers. There is a chance the locomotive you wept over as a child are now superbly preserved and running at a heritage railway.

musicposy Mon 11-Feb-13 00:17:27

DD1 used to love Thomas the Tank Engine as a preschooler. We spent hours traipsing round model railways and Thomas days at real steam railways. We watched it endlessly except for one episode where there is a crash. It's a the mildest crash you can imagine but used to be too much for her. Eventually we got to the point where she could cover her eyes and I told her when it was over!

Then Tweenies and ballet and Barbie took over and that was that.

She's 17 now and wouldn't give you a thank you for a visit to a model railway. grin I quite miss it though!

DoYaDontYa Mon 11-Feb-13 00:21:25

Diesel use to make my Ds cry when he first started watching it , I must admit some of the songs are rather catchy until the ten thousandth time of hearing them & they go round my head constantly .
My Ds is renowned for his knowledge of Thomas though , knows every trains name backwards & all there numbers & colours , yet he can't remember where he left his shoes hmm
Every hill is 'Gordon hill'
he is a 'really useful engine' was distraught when I pointed out he wasn't a train hmm
I'm so glad its over with as I thought it would never end grin
Oh n why is there only 3 female engines ? doesn't seem fair

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Mon 11-Feb-13 00:26:13

From Thomas to Buffy is one heck of a leap, MM.

YY to the lack of female engines - they have tried to squeeze in a fair few, I suppose.

Flisspaps Mon 11-Feb-13 03:48:37

I love Thomas. DD loves Thomas.

My mum knitted me and DB matching Thomas cardigans when we were little. I found the pattern on eBay, she's knitting the same cardigan for DD and DS grin

EugenesAxe Mon 11-Feb-13 04:14:55

You aren't alone in some ways OP - don't really watch Thomas but he sounds like Mike the Knight, who is also a little cock.

When watching Postman Pat the other day I thought 'How has he still got a job? A package has been opened due to noseyness, by all accounts - so that's breaking the law for one; the balloons have flown off - compensation claim; he's broken out the fucking helicopter to retrieve them - huge waste of money. He's probably backed by some union rep claiming he's done nothing wrong and it's mismanagement that has led to such a huge catalogue of incompetence.'

Now I'm going to get a Union related flaming...

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 11-Feb-13 08:00:16

I hate Thomas and try to avoid watching it. Because I start thinking about it too much. For instance, they sometimes refer to drivers. They have drivers?

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Mon 11-Feb-13 08:06:49

YY Katy - they have drivers only when it suits the plot. If they have them all the time, they should be laid off for letting the trains drive all round the island to find their lucky trucks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now