To take my 3.5yo to the lion king?

(19 Posts)
Wishiwasanheiress Sun 10-Feb-13 20:59:34

Gosh don't it will bore her silly. It's more than the film. Lovely but honestly it doesn't half go on a bit. I'm really not sure she will like it.

Loolumboolum Sun 10-Feb-13 17:32:14

Thanks everyone. Knew I'd get an honest answer. Also knew I'd be proved right! wink

Nordicmom Sun 10-Feb-13 14:56:29

We went to see it when DS was 5/6 y . It was quite long ( with a break in the middle )and unless your child can sit quietly for several hours you shouldn't go . It's also a bit perilous so might be too scary . If your child isn't quiet and still you'll risk annoying other people . I think 3,5 y is too young . Wait a year at least smile. It was very good though .

BackforGood Sun 10-Feb-13 14:48:19

Blimey BluemonkeySpots - we're paying £100 for 4 of us to go, and I thought that was a lot of money ! shock
However, I totally agree with your point. This will be a lot of money for a lot of people who are going. Totally unfair to impose a 3 yr old on them!

Bluemonkeyspots Sun 10-Feb-13 14:19:14

It's £320 for tickets for dh, 2 oldest dc and I. I'm still unsure if I can justify the expense or not but if I do buy the tickets I will be mighty unimpressed if it's ruined by someone's child misbehaving.

BackforGood Sun 10-Feb-13 13:09:35

Form the website :

The Lion King is recommended for a general audience. As a guide to adults who might bring young people, Disney recommends The Lion King for ages 6 and up. Every patron entering the auditorium must be in possession of a ticket. Children under 3 years of age will NOT be admitted to performances as this may disturb other patrons’ enjoyment.

So, yes, YWBU to take a 3.5 yr old, as it would probably be a waste of money for you, and there is a great probability it could spoil things for people around you too.

ENormaSnob Sun 10-Feb-13 12:54:15

I took my 3 year old last month and he loved it.

Sat still and watched the whole thing shock

There were loads of young kids at the showing we went to (2.30pm manchesters palace theatre)

ProPerformer Sun 10-Feb-13 12:53:34

(oh and to a further clarification of my story 'amusing shout out' was also only amusing because he didn't really shout it just said it in normal speaking voice volume. Amusing or not, he did get told it was not appropriate, though the old lady next to us thought it was cute!)

Lexagon Sun 10-Feb-13 12:52:25

I saw it a few years ago, right at the moment of Mufasa's death a little brat angel in the row in front declared "MUMMY, I WANT MY CHOCOLATE NOW".
Kind of ruined the moment.

ProPerformer Sun 10-Feb-13 12:50:07

I'd need to know some particulars - Do you know the story? Do you have a plan for toilet trips etc? Has your DC been to the theatre before? Where are your seats, tiered, aisle?

We took our DS to see a professional production of HMS Pinafore in a large opera house at 3.8. We sat on aisle seats in the upper balcony which were tiered so he could see and plied him with snacks throughout. Apart from wanting to stand up every so often and one amusing shout at the stage (amusing because it was kinda appropriate as he shouted the next line!!) he was good as gold. Then again he had been going to see shows from about 8 months old as we used to sit him at the back with us when singer friends of ours did informal concerts (by invitation of said froends) so has theatre etiquette pretty much instilled in him!

If you think your DC will be ok with the story line/action etc and be able to see then I say go for it - as long as you are prepared to whip them out if they start causing a disturbance to other audience members - its a pain to do (ESP when you've paid loads of money for tickets) but is something you really have to be prepared for as a disruptive or chatty child is really not fair on other audience members.

MerlotAndMe Sun 10-Feb-13 12:43:21

oh this is not the film. a musical? no, don't total waste of money.

MerlotAndMe Sun 10-Feb-13 12:42:05

My 6 yo got a shock when the lion died to be honest. that was not sweetened. dead is dead baby. and i didn't see it coming either. thought he'd get up, brush himself down and triumph over the bad guys. i think i had a tear in my eye.

footphobic Sun 10-Feb-13 12:40:43

I took my dcs a couple of years ago when the youngest was 4.10. She's very good at sitting and paying attention but even so I was glad I didn't take her when she was any younger. Imo 3.5 is definitely too young, both to sit quietly for the duration and to appreciate the beautiful puppetry.

Age 5 (or near to it) is about as young as I think advisable for this and only if they will sit attentively, otherwise I would say 6+.

simplesusan Sun 10-Feb-13 12:34:26

Yes I think the website states an age of around 5, if I remember correctly.
I have been I would say do not take a 3.5 year old.
When we went there was a child who got frightened during the performance and it spoilt it for me. I was quite annoyed as I had spent a lot of money on tickets and made sure that my dcs were old enough and mature enough to enjoy and appreciate the production.

betterwhenthesunshines Sun 10-Feb-13 12:28:51

I think it's a waste of money - tickets are very expensive and I doubt that a 3.5 yo will be able to sit still and follow the story (also it's quite a sad story when the father dies). You'll spend the whole time encouraging them to sit down and not chatter at the top of their voice. I took DD to the ballet recently and there was a mum in front with 2 small children who asked questions all the way through and didn't sit still and TBH it was really annoying for everyone else, so I would think about that too.

If you are in London, I would look at children specific shows - The Lyric in Hammersmith and The Polks Theatre in Wimbledon both do great shows for children for a variety of ages.

KatherineKrupnik Sun 10-Feb-13 12:26:09

The website says 5+ iirc, decided not to take my 4 yo.

Lovecat Sun 10-Feb-13 12:24:59

I took my DN to see Beauty & The Beast (live musical) when she was 4 and it was a complete waste of money on her part. She couldn't sit tall enough to see the stage properly, even with an extra cushion (which was charged for angry), she couldn't follow the plot (even having watched the DVD numerous times) and was far more interested in staring at the other small children running up & down the aisles (I only kept her in her seat by bribing her with a cuddly 'beast' doll) and a week later couldn't even remember she'd been.

So no. I wouldn't. The Lion King musical is a lot more stylised and arty than the film.

Sirzy Sun 10-Feb-13 12:24:25

I thought it wasn't reccomended for under 6s?

Has he been to any sort of show before?

Loolumboolum Sun 10-Feb-13 12:18:27

(The stage show)Not sure whether it would be a disaster.... And causing "discussions" at home. So, MN jury, AIBU?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now