Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To really hate this 'my fashion, family & food is so perfect' blogs on instagram?

(100 Posts)
SilverMoo Sat 09-Feb-13 18:12:48

I have just discovered the world and it is truly vomit inducing, arty instagram shots of boden clad kids frolicking with a designer dog (arty boho chic stuff in background) "Just relaxing with the family", the "A little something I rustled up for dinner tonight' (cue arty instagram shot of rustic papaya, beetroot & pine nut salad with French goats cheese), and "Oh my new £20,000 shoes have arrived, look how rich I am and how pretty they are" (Shot against distressed oak floorboards with perfectly painted toe nails peeping out".................

HestonsFatCock Sat 09-Feb-13 19:07:05

Blaggers

SilverMoo Sat 09-Feb-13 19:08:32

HestonsFatCock - Ha! Yes that's a better one grin

DuchessFanny Sat 09-Feb-13 20:13:04

I actually find being in the company of someone who takes pictures constantly , adding comments to them, adding to FB reaaallly trying and worse than the end product iyswim

have a friend who is lovely, but never 'there' when we are out as she is commentating on her night out the whole time !

pleasethanks Sat 09-Feb-13 20:14:48

Two words ladies, Kelle Hampton. Lovely kids, but gee wizz woman, relax and enjoy the moment will you!

DuchessFanny Sat 09-Feb-13 20:14:49

silvermoo i swear i look better in sepia ( and at an angle )

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 09-Feb-13 20:17:09

Nothing better than a good blog if you are in the mood for a laugh. I have several I check out regularly just to have a smirk at the self indulgent content and photos. Long live the blog!

Dylanlovesbaez Sat 09-Feb-13 20:19:11

I was just talking to dp about this! I use Instagram for friends to see pictures of my daughter as I don't trust Facebook privacy settings. But now bloody hell-those frigging mommy bloggers with kids in stripes, perfect baby bumps, beautiful Scandinavian interiors, crafty and talented, gorgeous women with glossy hair! They all seem to home school and have kids called wolf or arrow! I'm not jealous at all! How are their homes so tidy? I only have one child but its never tidy! Sorry if this is rambling!

pleasethanks Sat 09-Feb-13 20:20:43

The pressure to stage everything and make it all 'just so' must be exhausting. I would hate it. I really do feel for the children actually.

SilverMoo Sat 09-Feb-13 20:22:04

pleasethanks - Just checked out Kelle Hampton, this is what I'm talking about!

DuchessFanny - always from above, at an angle, with light pouring through a window onto your beautiful face, then add an instagram effect, can't go wrong apparently!

SilverMoo Sat 09-Feb-13 20:23:16

Do you think there lives are really as perfect as they make out?

pleasethanks Sat 09-Feb-13 20:38:17

Nope, certainly not silvermoo. I am sure I could describe with a flourish something DD and I did and neglect to mention all the shite.

mam29 Sat 09-Feb-13 20:40:33

Kelle Hampton, loved her photos.

have love/hate thing with blog

plus a few freinds who think there blogs best thing since sliced bread yawn.

crazy american organised ones my fave.

It's just a moment frozen in time though, isn't it?

I agree about the missing things because you are too busy photographing them, but it's just a record of a life lived in the way you want to live it. Or a life lived how you wish it could be lived all the time.

PoppyAmex Portugal Sat 09-Feb-13 20:42:44

My favourites are the Mormon wives blogs - so young, pretty, funky etc.

There was a brilliant article about Mormon mum blogs on salon.com but can't link on phone. Had examples of blogs too.

SucksToBeMe Sat 09-Feb-13 20:43:54

SilverMoo, YANBU and this thread is making me laugh!

PoppyAmex Portugal Sat 09-Feb-13 20:44:42

Pressed post too soon.

Anyway, salon article talked about the ambivalence we feel when we see those "perfect" lives.

I certainly know better but can't help feeling impressed.

honeytea Sat 09-Feb-13 21:10:19

I really enjoy seeing photos of my friend's families. I post between 2 and 5 photos on facebook each day, I think my children will enjoy seeing the everyday things when they are older.

DuchessFanny Sun 10-Feb-13 09:25:12

Dylan just snorted tea out at 'wolf' and 'Arrow'

Silvermoo ... suspicious we know each other as my friends and I only ever take a picture from above ( except whilst at dinner Friday a new friend took a sideways picture of me, then posted it to fb - it wasn't flattering !)

mam29 Wed 13-Feb-13 11:13:26

I have blog rage.

Some are good but most are

showy-in my opinion portraying life more perfect than it is.

self indulgent-gives the blogger some importance .

Boring I dont want itemised itinary of their day or know its blooming snowing.

The fashion ones make me chuckle as often their said outfit looks crap.

Blogs with useful advice, fighting for useful causes or campaigns fine.

Just every bored sahm mum thinks they blogger,

SamanthaStormer Wed 13-Feb-13 11:25:25

Always find it amazing the amount of vitriol poured on bloggers on Mumsnet in threads like these that crop up every now and again at intervals.
For a parenting forum like Mumsnet which actually HAS a Bloggers Network, threads like these are a bit off and scare people away from posting anything about their own blogs.
Not very welcoming or encouraging for bloggers. confused
If someone does have a cutesy pie blog, so what? You don't have to read them. Just like magazines. Don't read them if you don't like them.
As for "every stay at home mum thinks they can blog." Wow. Nice. hmm
Yes there's some shockingly crap ones at there which are badly written, but there's also some fantastic ones too.

ophelia275 Wed 13-Feb-13 11:55:20

Loads of mummy/lifestyle/fashion bloggers do this. Especially ones in the US.

Bleubird Vintage, Merry Mishap, Seventy Tree etc.

They are mummys and artists, doncha know!

MrsBucketxx Wed 13-Feb-13 12:01:13

I have a friend on fb who does this too so yanbu

she makes out her life is sooo perfect, with her shabby chic house and home made baby mobiles, baby showers with a gazillion friends.

SomethingOnce Wed 13-Feb-13 12:30:28

“The minute you start saying something, ‘Ah, how beautiful! We must photograph it!’ you are already close to the view of the person who thinks that everything that is not photographed is lost, as if it had never existed, and that therefore, in order really to live, you must photograph as much as you can, and to photograph as much as you can you must either live in the most photographable way possible, or else consider photographable every moment of your life. The first course leads to stupidity; the second to madness.”

-Italo Calvino, Difficult Loves, 1971

MrsBucketxx Wed 13-Feb-13 12:55:46

I love that.

atthewelles Wed 13-Feb-13 13:22:13

They remind of those celeb cookbooks where they're photographed in gorgeous vintage kitchens with quirky pots and dishes and their beautiful funkily dressed kids all gathered admiringly around a vintage plated sundried tomato and goats cheese tart.

Lisa Faulkner's cookbook is full of that kind of photography and snippets about how this recipe reminds me of a fabulous picnic with my famous best friends etc etc etc

I do like Lisa and think she looks amazing for a woman in her forties but the book was a bit 'look at my perfect life'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now