Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Ds wants Halo 3 for his 12th birthday next month

(59 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 09-Feb-13 13:26:11

It's a game apparently.

Its also a 15.

I have said no and he thinks IBU.

Am I?

Halo is just shooting alien bad guys. It's awesome. And I think ok for a 12 year old.

cantspel Sat 09-Feb-13 19:23:41

The halo games are not in the same league as COD and i would let a 12 year old play them.

My 13 yo DS plays it.

I wouldn't let him have CoD (any of them) Far Cry or Grand Theft Auto.

He plays in the next room, doors are always open so I know roughly what he's up to without being in his face .

MrsReiver Sat 09-Feb-13 20:24:36

The Halo franchise does not warrant the 15 certificate at all, no gore or swearing. I wouldn't have a problem with a 12yo playing it.

MrsReiver Sat 09-Feb-13 20:26:07

The female characters in Halo are pretty damn fabulous too, which sets it apart from almost every other xbox game around (Apart from Mass Effect, and Dragon Age, and possibly Skyrim) Okay so maybe not every other xbox game but certainly a lot of them grin

Kafri Sat 09-Feb-13 22:16:10

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with a 12 year old playing Halo

but...

if you want a better argument than just 'no'

how about 'its illegal for me to buy you that game'

It could potentially land both you and the person who sells you the game in hot water and seriously out of pocket.

Halo 3 has a BBFC rating while some of the others have a PEGI rating but that's irrelevant really as the PEGI ones are also legally enforceable now.

Sounds silly, but i've had to turn away many a parent who i've suspected is buying for their kids as I really cant afford the 5k fine and losing my job.

Don't flame me as on a personal level I don't have a problem with people watching what they want - hell I watched loads of films I wasn't "old enough' for but while at work I have to follow the law to the letter. (And we have had people prosecuted for underage selling of both alcohol and films)

maninawomansworld Tue 12-Feb-13 09:51:30

To be honest it IS quite a fun game and a blanket '15' is really simplistic. There are 16 and 17 years olds who are not ready for games like that but there ARE younger kids who are fine with them.

I have nephews in their early teens, one I wouldn't allow to play this sort of game (neither do his parents) and the other has been out shooting real guns with me (closely supervised of course). There is only a couple of moths between them but in terms of maturity you'd think there was a couple of years.

It depends on his level of maturity and whether he appreciates that it's just a game. Have you tried playing it yourself to see what it's like rather than just relying on the sticker on the box?

valiumredhead Tue 12-Feb-13 09:56:03

I am very twitchy about games and what ds(11.5) plays and we have the old Halos and I am fine with them. Much prefer the fantasy element and shooting aliens than something like COD which is incredibly graphic. I can't comment on Halo 4 as we haven't got it.

CaffeineAndKeyboards Tue 12-Feb-13 10:04:08

Halo is fun and the series has a good story line and there are tie in books and great atmospheric soundtracks so I would have no problems with it.

However, as the parent the decision is yours and if you don't want him to watch or play things rated higher than his age then that's your reason.

Sugarice Tue 12-Feb-13 10:07:39

I'd let him have it.

I've got three teen boys , the youngest being 13 and they've all played these games for a few years with no ill effect on them, they know it's a fantasy game.

if he's unlikely to use violence in real life then I see no harm in him playing it

mercibucket Tue 12-Feb-13 10:10:12

its a bit out of date now tbh, try halo4

BegoniaBampot Tue 12-Feb-13 10:32:02

i have a 10 yr old (also 7 yr old) who is desperate to play older games like his friends who have been playing cod for a few years. sure he would enjoy halo, is it better to start with the first and follow the story then? he has avatar, skyrim and now thor and battleship. i really struggle with this.

BarredfromhavingStella Tue 12-Feb-13 10:35:51

GTA & COD are in a different league to Halo, I would however always have a look at an age rated game myself & decide if it was appropriate, could either you or DH play it to see what you think?

StuntGirl Tue 12-Feb-13 10:37:33

Games shops can not put Halo on for you due to the age rating. Any shop that does that is risking getting in a lot of trouble if they got caught doing it. Shops have preciously got got caught and have previously got in trouble (job losses and everything). So I'm bemused that they'd take that risk!

You don't need any better reason that no. It's a 16, he isn't old enough, so no. End of.

However...as others have said its shooting aliens. The deaths are not as graphic as say, Call of Duty, Dishonoured or even Skyrim.

However...unless you're not online with you 360 I wouldn't consider it in a million years. Online play with other people is so bad, language wise, if it were subject to ratings it wouldn't even get one and would be banned. Not something I would be interested in exposing my 12 year old to.

KumquatMae Tue 12-Feb-13 10:45:31

I'd say Halo is fine for that age. We are a family of gamers and have pretty firm rules on what we will and won't allow. There is no blood (characters fly across the screen and land in amusing positions though!), and no bad language. If you don't play online (not necessary at all) there's nothing to worry about.
You may get some comments about Cortana's massive boobs though..

Cortana Tue 12-Feb-13 10:47:31

Online play with others can (and should) be controlled by the parent though Stunt. XBOX live has brilliant parental controls that can be adjusted and customised. If you're hearing people swearing over your child's Xbox this is a great place to start.

DS plays online, he cannot hear other players, speak to them, receive messages or friend requests. Any emails from or through Xbox come to my account. I have complete control. It doesn't have to be reason not to play, all he gets from online play is a team who aren't AI which adds a lot to team games IMHO.

Cortana Tue 12-Feb-13 10:48:22

<crosses arms over chest>

PrincessUnderpaid Tue 12-Feb-13 10:54:28

H is a huge gamer, he doesnt drink, smoke or shoot people in the street.

H and DS have been playing Halo 4 since christmas (DS is 8), DS sees it a bit like Ben 10 -fighting the alien bad guys. The guns are all a bit space age and the landscapes are far away worlds, DS has devloped a keen interest in Space and Pyhsics since he started playing Halo so its some consolation.

StuntGirl Tue 12-Feb-13 10:55:32

Well to be fair ALL of it should be controlled by the parent Cortana, online or not. Your average parent doesn't bother with parental controls.

Flobbadobs Tue 12-Feb-13 10:58:33

Halo is pretty tame compared to others, DS plays it as well as Assassins Creed. When he had a PS2 he played a few of the Medal of Honour games, mainly the DDay landings one which was very good and based on accounts from WW2 veterans.
some idiot a family member bought him COD for Christmas and tbh I did let him have a go but he soon got bored with the fact that there was no real story to it, just shooting and swearing! He prefers Fifa, he is the Alex Ferguson of the X Box...

valiumredhead Tue 12-Feb-13 11:02:47

Yeah I'm just about ok with Assasins creed ( I turned off the blood)

PrincessUnderpaid Tue 12-Feb-13 11:12:57

The Portal games are fab for problem solving with a great big gun that shoots holes and makes portals to pass through!

www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Portal-Xbox-360/dp/B004IEA4QE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360667552&sr=8-2

MiaowTheCat Tue 12-Feb-13 12:23:36

Halo I have minimal issues with (apart from my husband sulking when he gets stuck... ok, I don't like him shooting the funny little aliens that run around and say all the daft lines cos they're cute) - things like COD with more realistic violence I've got a much stronger line on... and I wouldn't want a kid that age getting sucked into the multiplayer (although we're cheapskates and won't pay for more Xbox live time so have offline play only in this house, plus the 360's never had a very reliable connection to the internet for some reason).

And yep, guilty of having the Portal song as my phone ringtone.

KumquatMae Tue 12-Feb-13 12:49:50

Oh yes Portal is EXCELLENT.
I think all parents have a responsibility to know what their kids are playing, and the best way to do that is to play the games yourself :D

MrsReiver Tue 12-Feb-13 14:20:24

Portal is fantastic, challenging, clever and really funny. I had to pause and drag DH through when I found a BSOD in the game the other day.

Totally Kumquat - the best way to know what your kids are up to is to pick up a controller and play it yourself, research. At least that's what I tell myself when I spend hours playing Skyrim instead of doing housework. My wee house outside Dawnstar is tidier than my real one grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now