Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that I'm not too thin at 5'7 and 9 stone 2?

(56 Posts)
dontcallmehon Fri 08-Feb-13 21:50:42

I have lost a couple of stone on the 5:2 diet. I feel good and very healthy. My family keep commenting that I am too thin and look ill now. I really don't think I do, but could be deluded. I've checked my BMI and it seems perfectly healthy. Does that weight sound ok for my height? I like being slim, but don't want to go too far.

HermioneE Sat 09-Feb-13 09:10:26

You sound just like me (although not right now as am pg smile)

What's the rest of your family shaped like? My weight all goes on my thighs so if I dress right I look thinner than I actually am. The other women in the family are all a bit shorter and are all apple shapes carrying it on their boobs (ok envy there I admit) and stomachs, so it's much more obvious. It means I get a lot of 'oh you're so thin' because they're used to comparing based on those areas.

Ribeno Sat 09-Feb-13 09:21:56

What rude, nasty and unnecessary behaviour from your family! Ive had this a fair bit my own family too. At the weight I am now I still have to defend my self even though my sister is 5 ft 8 and a size 8 she doesnt look to thin as she has a very narrow frame.

I dont think you sound too thin. You are probably small but not model thin and models really dont eat unless they are very lucky/ genetics/small frame or super young.

I used to be 8 stone 2 at 5 ft 8 and I calorie counted/ really strictly controlled carbs and walked non stop so I know. Even then I couldnt fit in to a size 8!!! I looked ill and will admit it!!!

Im now 9 stone 1 or 2 pounds and am 5"8. im usually a size 12 and my wedding dress is size 14 to house my stomach! I have a wide ribcage and hence I look so boney on top.

Its so much more about weight. Its about your percentage of body fat, its about your frame size and for all I know you could have a large bust and not much fat anywhere else. Also how your weight is distributed.

Please dont worry. Its hard but instantly dismiss what they say or move on the conversation.

You are probably a lovely size.

pigletmania Sat 09-Feb-13 09:23:25

Your are slim

AwkwardSquad Sat 09-Feb-13 09:31:57

There's an age thing with weight too, I've found - I'm the same height as you and used to be under 9 stone in my teens and twenties. I looked fine. Skinny but fine. I've fluctuated since, and have recently lost about a stone and a half; I'm now 9 stone 7. This is fine for me - I'm in my forties and if I lose much more, I think I'll start to look haggard. As it is, it's showing on my face a bit - some lines are deeper than they were! I could do with tightening up my muscles now, rather than lose more weight.

PrettyKitty1986 Sat 09-Feb-13 09:37:13

It completely depends on the individual...although it 'sounds' fine to a lot of people who can't see you, maybe you do look too skinny.
At 5'5, I'm a size 8 at about 9.5 stone...if I get down to 9 then you can see ribs and collarbone and I generally look luge I need a good meal. But I have a friend who's only one inch shorter than me, yet is a curvy size 12 at 9.5 stone. Completely depends on your body shape.

dontcallmehon Sat 09-Feb-13 16:51:21

I'm only in my early 30s and don't think I look haggard. Mum was at it again today, saying her friend saw me and thought that I looked gaunt. She also added in the little gem that I use my straighteners too much and my hair looks dry sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now