Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not go to work tomorrow?

(36 Posts)
iheartmycat Fri 08-Feb-13 00:07:55

Felt like shit for days, went to gp tonight and been diagnosed with chest infection. Can't sleep cos lying down makes me cough and wheeze even more. Joints ache, head aches...moan moan moan. line manager obsessed with my sick leave and I'm currently on a second stage absence review for having a week off in October with a bad back and a day off in January with stomach pain (awaiting surgery for this). I was sent home from work at lunchtime today cos I was so obviously not well my cough was driving them crazy aibu to take tomorrow off even tho they,re monitoring my absence?

maddening Sat 09-Feb-13 10:36:53

If you HAVE to go in have your tried day nurse? That can get me through.

Hope they are cool with the annual leave.

iheartmycat Sat 09-Feb-13 00:54:59

Hi, thanks for all the opinions, I might be a bit guilty of feeling that it is a vendetta against me as opposed to policy. I called my manager first thing and asked if I could come in for the morning (we work flexi, so I had time to call her before going in), do the essential work for the day then take the afternoon off as annual leave,. I know I could (and probably should) have used sick leave but it just wasn't worth the hassle.

drownangels Fri 08-Feb-13 18:26:11

Did you go in or not OP?

DreamingOfTheMaldives Fri 08-Feb-13 14:16:19

If it's the same virus that my husband has just had, and it sounds like it is, it must be bad - he took a day off sick - only the second time in the 12 years we've been together!! He should have stayed off for another day or two because he was that rough but didn't. I nearly collapsed in shock when he phoned in sick!

I would take the day off if I was you and worry about it when you are back.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 08-Feb-13 14:01:59

babie, that IS tough sad

Do you work for the NHS? It sounds very much like our sickness policy.

YANBU to take the day off if you genuinely feel too ill to go to work.

Your line manager is NBU to monitor you as per the sickness policy.

You kind of come across as if you think she has a personal vendetta against you... she hasn't, she is just following procedure.

Trills Fri 08-Feb-13 12:34:11

Being under review doesn't necessarily mean that your manager is thinking bad things about you or that you are likely to be sacked - it may just be policy.

It is good for a company to have a sickness monitoring policy - if all of one team keep having bad backs or another team have higher levels of stress-related issues then the company need to know about this because there may be something they can do about it.

Your doctor told you to go and rest for a few days. So do it. Speak to your work today, not in the morning, and say that you are following doctor's orders. If they need to cover your work then it will be easier for them if they know in advance

lady it sounds tough, but if you contravene your employer's sick absence monitoring policy, you CAN be dismissed (usually a longish procedure, with at least 3 stages). If you are ill a lot, genuine or not, they are entitled to implement their policy & they must apply it equally for all. It's about business needs. Usually they'll send you to an occupational health doctor to see if there's anything they can do, within reason, to improve your attendance.

Before DCs, I worked in civil service legal role (not hr side) and the government imposed targets were harsh. If a department/section didn't meet the sick absence target, the team manager would get bollocked, regardless. I managed a team of predominantly woman (1 man), all either had young kids and were constantly getting ill & in 18 months 3 had hysterectomies. This was not taken onto account & I was monitored for not discouraging absence!

I blame the Daily Mail, civil servants are sick note, lazy bastards.

DH works for private company, consultancy. They need to be 98% billable to meet their targets. This allows either two sick days per year or 1 hour every fortnight for admin (he manages a team of 6, management time is non billable). Their targets come from the board.

It is an employer's world out there right now.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 08-Feb-13 09:23:19

Jinsei, I'm not a lawyer but I think they'd be in trouble if they tried to sack someone in these circumstances.

OP, get advice from your HR department if you have one and if they're not shite like most HR departments

It's entirely possible that the worry and pressure of these back-to-work review things are making you more stressed and more susceptible to illness anyway, so they're not really doing anyone any good.

I agree that you should post in legal to get a clearer view of your rights.

And I wouldn't go in today, or take a day's annual leave.

Jinsei Fri 08-Feb-13 09:13:41

You might be under review but if you have visited your gp and have it documented there isn't an awful lot they can say.

They might not say much but they can sack you, even if it's genuine!

McNewPants2013 Fri 08-Feb-13 08:05:08

I would post in legal to see what your employment right are regarding your heart problem and sick leave.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Fri 08-Feb-13 08:04:15

I really feel for you. We have a similar situation at my work. If you are off sick more than twice in a twelve month period you will have a return to work interview which is just an opportunity to bollock you re your "frequent" absences from work.

I am allowed to be sick again at the end of March, I've been ill all his week and have been dragging myself in and just doing a really shit job

drownangels Fri 08-Feb-13 08:01:43

At the moment people at my work are going in when they are really ill and with good reason.
There are going to be redundancies next year and who goes is decided on a matrix system. Most people have a similar length of service and relevant qualifications and supervisions. The decider is sickness record over the previous two years. Nobody wants any sickness on their record and dragging themselves to work in all sorts of conditions.
It's not fair on them, our colleagues and the public we work with, but perfectly understandable.

Sausagedog27 Fri 08-Feb-13 07:50:30

Take it off. You might be under review but if you have visited your gp and have it documented there isn't an awful lot they can say. I had similar where I used to work. It makes me so angry that the people who take time off for hangovers etc spoil it for the rest of you.

You sound v poorly and don't want to risk it getting worse.

Wishing you a speedy recovery op.

Jinsei Fri 08-Feb-13 00:55:07

Yes, if it's only the number of episodes that triggers the review process. Our policy has a range of triggers - multiple episodes but also total number of days. Makes more sense in my view.

If you'll be penalised for going back then going off again, then you might as well stay at home till you're fully recovered. Presumably your half day this afternoon will be counted as an "episode"?

Hope you feel better soon.

iheartmycat Fri 08-Feb-13 00:53:09

That's a good idea re phoning in the morning and seeing if I can take a days annual leave, that might save any hassle. I,ve never had a day off where I didn't see a gp (ie if I'm not sick enough to be needing medical attention I'm not sick enough to be off) yet you see others in the team have weeks and weeks off at a time, yet it's only classed as one 'absence' under the policy.

I just find it all incredibly stressful on top of feeling rotten!!!

AFAIK - I can self certificate for one week (5 working days).

One day counts as an episode if I'm just off a day, but if I'm off then go back too early and go off again, it is counted as 2 even if it's the same illness.

If you go back you are saying that you are fit to work.

I can (sort of) see why people take a whole week off sick leave,

Jinsei Fri 08-Feb-13 00:43:35

Would your heart condition be regarded as a disability, and if so, have you declared this? Might make a difference to their approach, but only if there is an impact on your current illness.

Jinsei Fri 08-Feb-13 00:39:57

Ah, if you have had 14.5 days off in the last year and you have the lowest number of sick days in the team, that might explain why your manager is obsessed with sickness absence. There must be a huge amount of time lost to absence in the team as a whole, and somebody is probably on her case about it.

Having said that, it sounds like she is just following procedures - you have hit the trigger so you have to have a review. What are the consequences if you are sick again while still on review. Will it go straight to a third stage, and if so, what does that mean?

If the consequences are serious, then you might well be better off taking a day as annual leave. Did they refer you to occ health when you were off with the back problem?

wineandroses Fri 08-Feb-13 00:37:44

70isalimit, yeah, pretty much not worth turning back then is it? My parents were always a bit sceptical about days off school or work, unless I was clearly close to death. Guess I've kept the same ethos. DH's family (medical people) generally believe there's nothing wrong with anyone in the family unless they can't stand up, so our DD has little chance of much time off school! Caveat - exceptions made for infectious diseases.

ThisIsMummyPig Fri 08-Feb-13 00:28:45

Can you book emergency leave (holiday) on the day? Where I work people do that to aviod hitting the sick triggers

iheartmycat Fri 08-Feb-13 00:28:21

Hmm gp did advise to go home, rest and that it will probably take a few days to start feeling better. Have serious underlying heart condition and had pneumonia a few years ago, and I'm always scared of not nipping Chet infections in the bud, if you know what I mean.

iheartmycat Fri 08-Feb-13 00:26:27

Tho gp did say was probably viral flu bug thing, line manager is pregnant, maybe should stay off for her sake? wink

StuntGirl Fri 08-Feb-13 00:26:10

I had a raging chest infection a few years ago and it floored me. Only you know if you're well enough to go in. I know when I had mine there was no way, I was off for the whole week. If you decide to stay off as long as you keep your manager informed I would worry about the meetings later.

iheartmycat Fri 08-Feb-13 00:25:04

Thanks for the opinions, I,ll see how I am in the morning - maybe I could take a half day or something in the afternoon. I had 8 days off earlier in the year when I was hospitalised with stomach pain, we have to have reviews if you,re off more than 3 times in a year and I just seem to constantly trigger the reviews, despite having the lowest amount of days off in the team!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now