To decline a holiday with long term friends?

(34 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Thu 07-Feb-13 21:26:37

We have known this couple for about 6 years and we happen to have dcs of similar ages.

They have suggested holidaying together in the summer. While I can see the benefits...babysitting in eve and company for kids etc. their parenting style is totally different to ours. We like routines of naps and bed times etc whereas they are more go with the flow types. It isnt unusual for their kids to still be up until 11ish or wake in the night lots. Also, their kids are much more 'lively' than ours are seem hard work at times.

My dh is keen but I'm not so sure. Wll it work? We will have two cars so could 'get away' if needed. I'm just worried that I'll spend my one holiday a year being stressed and exhausted.

ballstoit Thu 07-Feb-13 22:44:23

Was going to say no anyway, but with the addition of it being 'their' holiday home and you tagging along I'm with AnyFucker...noooooooooooo

Imsosorryalan Thu 07-Feb-13 22:47:10

Ha, so it that a no then??wink

I will be showing this to dh and making our excuses I think...

AnyFucker Thu 07-Feb-13 22:51:41

if you value your friendship, don't do it

They provide the accommodation so you feel indebted and obliged to do more than half of the childcare. What a relaxing break for them.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 07-Feb-13 22:59:43

Nope. We went once with friends and their lively DS. It was a nightmare, mainly because dd was frequently hit by him and his parents weren't that effective in stopping it. I spent the week biting my tongue and trying to keep him off dd.

WilsonFrickett Fri 08-Feb-13 10:13:26

Noooooooo, the sleeping arrangements would kill that idea right off for me. My DS likes his sleep, not saying we don't keep him up two or three nights over the course of a holiday but any more than that is too much for him.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Feb-13 10:15:33

No. Tell them you've made other plans already.

HecateWhoopass Fri 08-Feb-13 10:18:41

no chance. I don't need a crystal ball to see how badly that would end!

Trills Fri 08-Feb-13 10:19:24

Sounds awful.

Don't lie, tell them that you think your children have such different rules and routines that it would end up being chaos and very stressful for all of you.

Do they know that your children go to bed at 7, etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now