to think if the actress who plays Gail in Corrie has been there so long she might have learnt to act by now?

(35 Posts)
ssd Wed 06-Feb-13 19:12:40

she is flamin dreadful

ComposHat Fri 08-Feb-13 10:12:50

That was particularly bad with. But then again, there have been some great actors in Corrie.

I still mourn the death of Fred Elliot

ssd Fri 08-Feb-13 09:34:25

did anyone see the last episode, Gail playing a drunk?

god even my kids said she was crap

FakePlasticLobsters Wed 06-Feb-13 21:53:55

She reminds me of those Cluedo characters, a real head on a kind of upside down golf tee, neck far too skinny to hold the head up.

And the flirting with Louis was horrific. All that eyelash batting and hints to go upstairs, all before the watershed. shudders

plummyjam Wed 06-Feb-13 21:48:51

Charlie Brooker once described her as having a head that looks like a mushroom cut in half.

Shakey1500 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:56:23

*aren't

Shakey1500 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:56:05

I agree Lady it's a shame that the subtle nuances of everyday relationships are studied more. Nowadays (especially at Christmas) there is this awful competition to see which soap can have the biggest disaster, the worst tragedy etc.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 06-Feb-13 20:49:21

Me too Jamie, and I used to love Corrie.
What is it with people wanting to watch others having miserable lives?
Ok we need the drama, but couldn't just one person have a happy marriage?
I loved Jack and Vera and Hilda and Stan, there was comedy amid the tragedy there.
Soap writers just seem to write unmitigated misery, but that seems to be what the public wants sad

Shakey1500 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:45:43

I adore theatre work grin Nothing beats it.

The play I'm rehearsing at the moment is a bloody hard slog and I haven't quite found the character yet, but still at line learning stage so no great concern. (note- I am no longer professional, this is amateur. But dare I say sort of high brow amateur grin )

Musical theatre <sigh> if only.... Dream role would be....well....any Sondheim really!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 06-Feb-13 20:41:35

Incan't bear soaps now. So bloddy depressing

ssd Wed 06-Feb-13 20:40:37

shakey I think you've got a stalker grin

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 06-Feb-13 20:40:05

She does seem lovely in RL, she does a lot of charitable work for elephants.(I like elephants grin).
I suppose she's like many of us in a safe job, she wouldn't get any other work in the industry, so sticks to doing what she knows.
I stopped watching Corrie a long time ago, about the time they decided it had to to keep up with East Enders and be utterly depressing.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 06-Feb-13 20:37:57

Shakey

I can imagine stage work is much more fun, but gruelling. In my alternate life not lived i would be in musical theatre. My brief experience with filming tv (i drove my cousin to a shoot once a stuck around for a couple of days) was how boooooring it was. So much technical stuff to set up, then the actors had to come and emote for five minutes, then more hanging around waiting for lighting etc. good gossip fromthe makeup lady though

LindaMcCartneySausage Wed 06-Feb-13 20:36:37

That actress and Ken Barlow are utterly wooden. Two dining chairs could emote better. I suppose if you've been playing a character that long, it's not really acting, more a sort of professional schizophrenia.

Watch out for William Roach's eye-roll/look to the heavens, which is his way of acting every human emotion from cloth rending grief to mild annoyance that is half of Newton & Ridley is slow to arrive in the Rovers.

butterflyroom Wed 06-Feb-13 20:32:48

How funny - OldLadyKnowsNothing

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 06-Feb-13 20:25:37

Shakey

Oooh a thesp! Bloody hard, the business they call show, or so I imagine...

HelloMrWigglesworth Wed 06-Feb-13 20:22:13

Her brother was my Geography teacher. He was Mr Wigglesworth. So Helen Worth was born Helen Wigglesworth, hee hee.

NC for this as I might have mentioned it often in RL as it is my only connection to any famous person ever.

ssd Wed 06-Feb-13 20:20:03

I cant get past her bad acting to notice her men

Shakey1500 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:18:13

<slides into the thread as someone "in the business" or was, still is-ish >

It's so hard. Someone can be the best actor in the universe and it's still and always will be a case of getting them lucky breaks, being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right people and in days of yore, the casting couch grin

When a plum job comes along, it's the bee's knee's and once you're used to earning a certain income and living a certain lifestyle, is hard to give up. Unless you're willing to take the jump off the cliff. But it's rarely successful. Think Martine McCutcheon. Riding high in soapland, decent role in Love Actually (not saying she did a good job mind...), now advertising yoghurt confused The list is endless.

Also it's not as if you have to be a great actor to do soaps (or any television/film for that matter) what with the amount of re-takes at your disposal. Give me the theatre any day. Real, live, honest to goodness real time acting. No room for error, no restarting again, raw emotion, a live audience. If you fuck up then it's up to you and the rest of the cast to use your experience and get yourself out. No saying "Sorry, I forgot my line can we do that bit again?"

Any successful television/film actor who puts their money where their mouth is and takes to the stage gets my vote grin Even better if they do a Shakespeare.

<climbs off soap box <--- see what I did there?> Anyway, I agree. She hasn't the best acting skills as far as Gail goes, be interesting to see how she would do in another role. What bugs me more is Gail's shockingly bad taste in men. You'd think she have learnt by now!

ssd Wed 06-Feb-13 20:14:17

I can get staying in the job forever if they can get away with it, but jesus you'd think she'd try to act, at least

lollilou Wed 06-Feb-13 20:10:22

Wow she looks pretty good for her age. I don't really watch much Corrie so can't comment on her acting but isn't she supposed to be all girly and in love with the charmer?
I think soap actors stay on because of the money and the worry they won't get anything else apart from I'm a Celebrity a few years down the line.smile

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 06-Feb-13 20:06:43

Chanie

Yes. It ain't all glamour.

chanie44 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:01:59

I think long term actors stay in their roles because they get a good solid income every month and are smart enough to realise they'd probably be waiting on tables otherwise/ or applying to work for mi5 like dean gaffney

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 06-Feb-13 19:57:52
zukiecat Wed 06-Feb-13 19:54:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

All I see when I see her face is E.T

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now