to not like people drying their hands on my bath towel?

(83 Posts)
familyfun Tue 05-Feb-13 14:11:02

in our bathroom there is a hand towel hanging from a towel rail at the side of the sink. it is always clean, changed often.
the kids tend to dry their hands on their own bathtowels which hang on the other side of the room on the bottom rung of the heated rail so they can reach.
when ils come to visit, ive noticed after theyve been to the toilet and wsshed their hands, that there is a trail of water splashed across the bathroom to the bathtowels and my towel is wet and screwed up in the middle.
at first i thought the kids had made the mess but even when the kids havent been upstairs this still happens and the kids cant reach my bathtowel.
i make a point of telling them there is a clean hand towel hanging from the sink when they go up.
dp thinks it doesnt matter, their hands are clean and thinks even if they are using my towel it wont hurt me.
i am funny about things like that, i dont like to touch cups or cutlery or plates which people have used, so im not sure if its me being ott.
aibu to not like this so to remove my bathtowel when they come (and other visitors) so they cant use my towel?

MrsKoala Tue 05-Feb-13 15:07:15

Oh sweet jeebus drjohnson am I supposed to do that too? I was almost hunted down and tarred with a cross put on my virtual door, when I said that dh and I share a tooth brush and I don't clean my loo everyday.

YANBU. Why would anyone want to dry their hands on someone's bath towel (that has possibly already been used, and wiped their bum crack with?) rather than a clean hand towel???

Maybe make a cute sign to hang near the hand towel, and say it's there for the kids if anyone aks?

MechanicalTheatre Tue 05-Feb-13 15:09:42

MrsKoala I am really not obsessed with germs. I HATE wet towels. I hate the feeling of a wet towel when I go to dry myself. And if people keep using my towel as a hand towel, it will not dry (our house is really cold and damp).

Also, sharing bath towels between families? GRIM. Just...blergh. That blows my mind.

Sod washing plates before I use them........do people really do that!! Really??

DH sometimes uses my toothbrush and I don't clean my loo every day, just give it a squirt of bleach if anyone skids (not me) and give it a good scrub once a week.

Sugarice Tue 05-Feb-13 15:10:25

Betty me too, straight into my bathrobe and keep it on til I'm dry! wink

MechanicalTheatre Tue 05-Feb-13 15:10:49

Sharing a toothbrush is also blergh. Come on. Do you really want bits of whatever your partner has been eating in your mouth?

I'll share one in an emergency, but as routine, it's just crying out for a gum infection.

It does annoy me when he uses it to be honest but it doesn't send me into a frenzy or anything...I just roll my eyes, tut and then shove it in me gob smile

I barely clean my loo once a week.....but I would NEVER share a toothbrush.

We have our own towels here. 2 each. Even the baby has his own towels. Mostly because he might wee on it, and I might not notice - I don't want to risk wiping my face on the pissy bit.

MrsKoala Tue 05-Feb-13 15:13:18

But that's my point mechanical, if you just have clean bath towels for everyone you won't use wet towels. Why won't you share towels with your family? What's grim about it?

MechanicalTheatre Tue 05-Feb-13 15:16:17

Well, I do have clean bath towels for everyone! That's why no-one needs to share. And I have a hand towel, so no-one needs to wipe their wet hands on my towel.

It's just unnecessary to share towels. It's not a germ thing, it's just a heave thing. I don't want to sleep in a hotel that hasn't changed its sheets either, but I suppose that's also bonkers?

You can't really compare a hotel not changing its sheets to members of the same families sharing bath towels.

Mmmm, now wondering whether some MN'ers make their husbands bleach their bits before embarking on a bit of frollocking....maybe I am missing a trick here wink

MrsKoala Tue 05-Feb-13 15:22:30

Baby has his own towels because he has non bio detergent. Dh uses my tooth brush because his is always out of batteries, so we just have one now. And tbh I would eat food he had chewed and my mouth is in a lot more germy places so I just don't care.

Also think others are more intimate with their towels, I never dry my bum crack! I just spread the cheeks and give it a blast with the hair dryer. Not really! grin

I blow dry my pubes smile

MechanicalTheatre Tue 05-Feb-13 15:25:29

Why, Betty? Skin cells is skin cells, after all.

Well, I dont particularly want to lay in a total strangers skin cells but hey, my DH and my DS.....I mean, it's not like me and DH don't share other bodily fluids!! Plus, laying next to each other all night, we are shedding skin in our sleep!!

MrsKoala Tue 05-Feb-13 15:28:40

I mean just 8 clean bath sheets ready for use. What if you want to shower more than once and your specially designated towel is still damp? And as Betty said the hotel thing is not the same, your family are not strangers. And if it's not a germ thing why does it make you heave? I don't understand how something which has touched my dc's or Dh's bodies then touching mine is disgusting? Sucking snot out of dc's noses and dabbing calamine on Dh's chicken poxes in his bum crack are things which make me all very unphased by towel sharing!

MrsKoala Tue 05-Feb-13 15:30:22

Please tell me you don't at the gym Betty?

MechanicalTheatre Tue 05-Feb-13 15:31:42

You share bodily fluids with your husband? GRIM.

But if we have 8 clean bath towels, I don't know why we need to share.

How about mooncups? Can we share those too? It's only a bit of fanny blood! Don't be so precious!

I'm only larking, I'm only weird about towels. I just don't like the damp on them. And I would never shower twice a day! Who can be arsed with that?!

Pandemoniaa Tue 05-Feb-13 15:32:03

i am funny about things like that, i dont like to touch cups or cutlery or plates which people have used, so im not sure if its me being ott.

Yes, you are OTT but if it eases your anxiety, remove your bathtowel so that nobody else can use it.

Course I do....it gives me a nice parting grin

You can borrow my mooncup if you want. I don't sterlise it though smile

Pandemoniaa Tue 05-Feb-13 15:33:40

Betty, I refuse to believe I am a heathen when it comes to this. I have honestly never known people to be so neurotic about germs as on these boards.

But I do agree with this, wholeheartedly!

Hasn't anyone raised poo germs on this thread yet? Only it's the next great inevitability when anything related to bathrooms is under discussion.

But surely if someone has just had a bath/shower they won't have poo on them??? So, no poo, no poo germs.

MechanicalTheatre Tue 05-Feb-13 15:36:25

What if they had worms? Eh? And you didn't know? And then they crawled up your bum and you had worms too?

What if what if what if.......................life is too short for what if's smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now