To really, really resent the "dog mess" in my neighbourhood

(101 Posts)
whataboutbob Tue 05-Feb-13 14:00:33

There are a fair few dog owners where I live and a good proportion are responsible. However there is also an element who just do not pick up after their dog. It's not a nice topic I know, but at any one time my street and the ones around it will be sporting several samples of dog poo.
I have contacted the council who made the following points: dog wardens only operate till 5 pm (I believe the irresponsible owners come out at night, go for a little walkies around the block and then home), dog bins cost £500 each so I shouldn't expect them to be putting new ones up around my 'hood (there are a few, but not many). They could put up some more notices: you know, those little stickers threatening an £80 fine. Which everyone ignores.
Has anyone successfully mounted an anti dog fouling campaign in their neighbourhood? Do you have any tips on what I can do to reduce the problem? At this point I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Bosgrove Wed 06-Feb-13 10:15:03

We have a 15 minute walk to school, before we had gone half way this morning my 5 year old had counted 30 piles of poo on the pavement. It's really horrid. My three children have got so used to me saying mind the poo , that if my 3YO sees it first she says "I'm minding the poo, Mummy!"

If dog walkers are going to left their dog poo and no pick it up at least they could make their dog go in the gutter so I can have a week without having to clean it off shoes.

Oh and we have the stencils in our town, they don't work.

FeijoaVodkaAndCheezels Wed 06-Feb-13 10:15:24

The whole town I live in is rank. Even the so called posh bits. Well sorry posh lab crap is every bit as foul as the staffy crap in other areas.
My house backs onto a playing field which my kids can't use due to the amount of fouling, it's even in the area with play equipment. It's to the extent I take them 10 mins down the road to a cleaner park.

It is fucking vile, there are plenty of bins around, constant pleas in the local paper and yet the dirty lazy fuckers keep not cleaning up after their dogs.

It's a good thing I don't have access to a paint ball gun and a loud speaker, because I would probably get myself arrested high lighting the issue from my upstairs window!

angry

Tryharder Wed 06-Feb-13 10:19:06

I don't think dogs should be allowed in parks or communal green spaces of any description at all, whether of not the owners pick up after them. Dogs should crap in their own back gardens or in the gutter.

YANBU.

aderynlas Wed 06-Feb-13 11:02:41

We have a lovely little park fenced in for the children with a large area of woodland surrounding it. Couldnt believe it when a woman went in there to chat to someone and let her dog run off and poo by the swings. No attempt to go and clean up. I m not one for confrontation, but I was just so annoyed. Went in and pointed out what her dog had done and waited till she cleaned up. Then pointed out the no dogs in park sign and suggested she should take notice. Walked home feeling abit like John Wayne, just needed a sheriff s badge.

jeee Wed 06-Feb-13 11:08:42

Most days when we're walking to school, I watch a dog having a poo. The owner stands by with a bag.... and the moment he thinks we're not watching he puts the bag back in his pocket. I'm always tempted to take a picture. But I don't want to risk a confrontation in front of the children.

I was amused by a letter to the local newspaper though. It explained how the dog poo came from the new houses.

aderynlas Wed 06-Feb-13 11:19:57

My neighbour takes a little bottle of soapy water when she walks her dog. She picks up mess then sprays the pavement clean. Wish all dog owners were like her.

BerthaKitt Wed 06-Feb-13 11:31:02

I noticed a woman with two dogs on a busy local beach last summer. She watched one of her dogs poo 50 yards or so from her, had a cursory look for it, couldn't see it so just walked off. There were children playing nearby, it was revolting. Dogs should be banned from beaches as well as parks IMHO. Even if people pick up their dogs' shit, there are still traces of it on the grass or sand that you wouldn't want to touch.

It is so nice going to the botanic gardens with my toddler as I know there will be no piles of dog shit hiding in the leaves.

thegriffon Wed 06-Feb-13 11:40:09

I always pick up my dog's poo, and often random poos from other dogs as well. I take a carrier bag to put the filled bags in.
If there's a large deposit in the middle of the path better to pick it up, even though its not my dog's, than have it spread all over the place from people walking in it.

Nancy66 Wed 06-Feb-13 11:40:54

it's definitely a problem that's getting worse.

There was a period where people mostly did seem to pick up after their dogs but now it's almost as bad as it was when i was a kid (I'm mid 40s)

Have to say the elderly seem the worst offenders

ouryve Wed 06-Feb-13 11:43:53

It is revolting. And I see plenty of the stuff under dog bins. I've been known to go out and pick up dog mess form in front of our block and put it in the dog bin 2 doors away, simply because it's easier than cleaning it off the boys' shoes and the carpet, but I can't do that for the whole village.

And you should see it when there's been snow on the ground for a couple of weeks. Ewwww.

ouryve Wed 06-Feb-13 11:45:19

And I'm hoping that the new microchipping laws will make it easier to weed out lazy dog owners.

adeucalione Wed 06-Feb-13 11:45:26

I've got a dog but always pick up, and agree with you that it's absolutely disgusting - a big problem where I live too.

I don't know what the answer is - we have loads of notices, dog poo bins and regular bins but the committed dog-shit-leaver ignores all of these.

One of my neighbours put a sign up saying he had CCTV trained onto his front garden as he was so fed up of picking up dog crap, but it made it worse.

We also had a campaign to raise awareness of the issue, and the council threatened to ban dogs from several public areas, but most dog owners I met said they would ignore any ban anyway.

The most satisfying thing I ever did was take a photo of an owner on my phone when she didn't pick up after her dog, and gave me abuse when I asked her to - I told her I was going to put posters up with her face on it, and send it to the council so that they could fine her (I didn't).

I think it's worse at this time of year because people walk their dogs in the dark before/after work and can't be bothered hunting for the crap.

ouryve Wed 06-Feb-13 11:48:18

East Yorkshire has the dog poo stencils on the pavement. Usually covered with poo.

We were in Filey (N.Yorks) last year; someone who lives there puts fluorescent mini-flags on all the dog poos left on the streets/in the parks. Not sure if it's helped to reduce the number of unwanted gifts, but it was very useful in the turd-dodging sense....

MrsBethel Wed 06-Feb-13 11:53:40

The council aren't going to do anything.

I say we need some vigilantes.

spiritedaway Wed 06-Feb-13 11:57:07

I am a dog owner. . i pick up, and on frosty days i have picked up bag fulls of random poo to clear the grassy area near school. Really not offensive when frozen. . Hope i don't come over as unhinged in any way! Anyway, i think responsible owners can help by keeping a beady eye on fellow walkers. . pointedly offering bags if they forget something or even take out your camera phone to shame them

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 06-Feb-13 11:58:06

YANBU, the problem is there is nothing that can really be done apart from banning dogs from all spaces that are not privately owned by the owner

If anyone ever comes across a successful anti-dog shit campaign I would love to hear about it!

spiritedaway Wed 06-Feb-13 12:00:14

just read your post Adeu. . . nice one! Maybe we could set up a face book page to post shameful pics

spiritedaway Wed 06-Feb-13 12:01:56

colostomy bags for dogs!

YANBU. It is illegal, dangerous, disgusting and irritating. Responsible dog owners will always pick up after their dog, or train them out of the habit of crapping on walks. Those that don't do this don't deserve to own a dog.

What fucks me off is the double standard applied to cat shit, and that cat owners can't possibly be expected to keep cats inside or within an enclosed outside space, or train them to use litter trays. (Yes I'm aware this has been done to death!) It's no less disgusting or dangerous!

EasilyBored Wed 06-Feb-13 12:15:14

I really wish there was a Dog Poo Fairy. Who would pick up the poor the disckhead owners leave on the floor, and deposit it lovingly on their pillow.

happybubblebrain Wed 06-Feb-13 12:21:58

I have the same problem where I live. I know the main culprits and where they live. I have often dreamed of posting the poo back to them through their letter boxes. Or putting a "We let our dogs poo all over the street" sign on their door. I'm sure neither of these things are legal, so I haven't done them.

And, then I think about how my cat poos wherever she wants (because there is no possible way of stopping her) and think any complaint I'd make would make me a huge hypocrite.

happybubblebrain Wed 06-Feb-13 12:29:08

And last summer I went blackberry picking with dd. She asked me to pick her up to reach the highest blackberries which I did. I hadn't noticed the sloppy dog poo all over her shoes. I smelt it instantly but it was too late. It was already smeared in my hair, on both cheeks and on my jacket. I had no wipes or tissues on me. I then had a 15 minute cycle ride home covered in dog poo, wretching all the way.

I've never liked dogs.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Wed 06-Feb-13 12:43:14

We used to have this problem. I used to consider getting a loudhailer and then follow the owners home, all the while explaining to the passing public how he lets his dog shit in pavements and not clean it up. Two outcomes from this - either their dog wouldn't crap by my house again or I'd get firebombed.

I have a friend who lives in another area and when walking to her house I am amazed by the number of people who have bagged dog poo and then leave the bag hanging on nearby railings when there are bins around. Once on a 200m set of railings I counted 6 bags. I mean you've done the manky part in picking it up just put it in the bin, we don't need dog poo decorations thanks very much.

Moominsarehippos Wed 06-Feb-13 14:21:13

Spitting is also completely revolting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now