Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To want to be able to go to the toilet occasionally whilst at work?

(62 Posts)
CattyBrown Tue 05-Feb-13 07:58:54

I work afternoons and during the morning before I start work and also during my 10 minute break I tend to drink quite a bit of water, it's something that I have always done.

My supervisor however does not like anyone going to the toilet during shift time (IF I do go, I go when it is very quite and there is no work whatsoever to do). She always makes sly digs about how I should go on my break etc.

As long am I am not abusing the situation and going 6-7 times a shift, am I right in thinking that I should be allowed to go the toilet without being questioned and made to feel like a naughty schoolgirl?

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 13:54:20

<bows>

MrsKoala Tue 05-Feb-13 14:04:17

Once I was in a meeting and had to go to the loo, so said 'I'm just nipping to the loo' I was met with stern faces, I stood up and picked up my bag and a male colleague said accusingly 'why are you taking your bag' and I said 'because I need to change my tampon' and everyone gasped, my boss was not impressed. But FFS, seriously? Biology 101. 30 year old women menstruate.

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 14:13:00

I just walk out of meetings now, and no-one ever says a thing. In fact they all look pointedly away from me and the door.

I do occasionally wonder if they are expecting me to come back into a meeting with blood all over my hands and a wild stare screaming 'I am the goddess.'

CheeseandPickledOnion Tue 05-Feb-13 14:21:16

I think I've just fallen in love with Linerunner.

CalamityKate Tue 05-Feb-13 14:24:34

I used to work in a factory and we had breaks every couple of hours and we still went to the loo when we needed to! In fact even if I didn't need a wee I'd go anyway and have a little nap. Da management used to grumble from time to time, especially if my 5 minute nap turned into a proper 15 minute sleep necessitating someone coming to bang on the door to wake me up, but there wasn't much they could do really.

IrnBruChew Tue 05-Feb-13 14:26:31

Hahaha linerunner!

When I worked in a call centre I had to log <snort> every toilet break, in an 8 hour shift you weren't expected to go over 20 mins all in. Not that bad I suppose.

deleted203 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:27:55

This is completely ridiculous! Of course you need to go to the loo. FWIW I need to go fairly frequently (middle aged bladder, had 5 DCs grin) and it can be tricky at times as a teacher. Lessons are an hour long and I just have to go in between (and in a double lesson I'm often crossing my legs after too much coffee in the staffroom). Kids aren't supposed to go in lessons, but if it is a teenage girl asking I generally say quietly, 'Are you desperate?' because obviously if you are 15 and your period's just started unexpectedly I'm not going to force you to sit there for another 45 mins or so.

cantspel Tue 05-Feb-13 14:28:02

We should all be able to go to the loo when needed but 6 to 7 loo breaks in a afternoon is a bit excessive unless you have a medical condition.

ShakeWellBeforeOpening Tue 05-Feb-13 14:32:59

I bet they dont question how many cigarette breaks people get ! That used to really piss me off at work when people kept disappearing for a fag.

cantspel Tue 05-Feb-13 14:35:25

I wish i could find one of these firms that allow you untold fag breaks as everywhere i have ever worked hasn't allowed any.

If you want a fag you have it on your break.

CalamityKate Tue 05-Feb-13 14:47:58

When I first started at the aforementioned factory you could smoke whenever you liked; there were big ashtrays full of sand all over the place.

Then that was banned and you had to smoke on breaks.

CalamityKate Tue 05-Feb-13 14:49:35

...just as well really otherwise what with fag breaks, weeks and naps I'd never have got any actual work done <grin>

CalamityKate Tue 05-Feb-13 14:49:59

Wees not weeks.

Pourquoimoi Tue 05-Feb-13 15:09:17

I also know someone who used to go for a 30min nap most days in the toilet (not me). That is clearly taking the mick but normal toilet breaks should always be allowed.

As for linerunner - well done you and the poster who did the same when accused about taking her handbag. I assume that was a man without a wife?!

Pourquoimoi Tue 05-Feb-13 15:10:46

OP - on a pragmatic note, could you down your water intake a little at you're breaks? You said you drank quite a lot so don't know if it would cause you discomfort not to drink it?

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Tue 05-Feb-13 15:37:27

"I do occasionally wonder if they are expecting me to come back into a meeting with blood all over my hands and a wild stare screaming 'I am the goddess.' "

You should do that one day, just to see the look on their faces. And then, of course, report back to MN grin

Oh, and I agree with quoteunquote. Name these companies so we know who not to give our money to, and join a union.

marjproops Tue 05-Feb-13 17:29:42

When I worked in an office I needed the loo a lot.

What really peeved me was that the smokers could have a 5 min 'smoke break' yet we non-smokers were expected to stay working...and some people smoked a lOT.

as for the loo...geez, its like at school, OP you should raise your hand, jumping up and down in your seat crying ''please Miss, can I go to the toilet'' !

failing that, pee in her seat!!!

IrnBruChew Tue 05-Feb-13 17:40:40

We are not allowed smoke breaks. The boss smokes like a chimney though and goes for a fag every 30 mins. No fair.

sicutlilium Tue 05-Feb-13 17:46:05

Seconds the applause!

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 18:03:12

As for linerunner - well done you and the poster who did the same when accused about taking her handbag. I assume that was a man without a wife?!

Why yes, how on earth did you guess? grin

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 18:06:29

Another useful retort to a toilet-mutterer is, 'I'll just sit here and bleed on my seat, shall I?'

MortifiedAdams Tue 05-Feb-13 22:09:34

Is it wrong that I am hoping to be questioned on leaving a meeting to go to the loo just so I can use LineRunners fantastic retort?

alemci Tue 05-Feb-13 22:20:52

I work in a school and often get stuck in a classroom. i need to go after an hour especially if you drink tea. I can't wait until break or lunch. The kids are allowed to go if they need to as well which I think is good. When it is cold you go more and after having kids.

YANBU

FlouncingMintyy Tue 05-Feb-13 22:25:34

Why can't people understand the op? It seems perfectly clear to me.

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 22:27:39

It won't happen, now, Mortified, you'll have that 'Challenge Me' glint in your eye and no-one will dare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now