I can't fucking believe this! Justice in this country is an absolute fucking joke! *Warning triggers*

(69 Posts)
BacardiNCoke Mon 04-Feb-13 13:48:25

5 years ago, when she was 15 my DSD was raped. The guy had previous and was sent down for 13 years. He's getting out on Friday! shockhmmangry We thought he was going to be banned from the city but apparently not only the city centre, fat lot of fucking good that will do! But the icing on the cake is he's moving into the street around the corner from our house! angry You can see the fucking houses from our living room FFS!

DSD has just rang me from work she's in pieces! I mean the likelihood is she's going to bump into him at some point. And that's only if she's lucky. She's had threats from his family over the past 5 years, at one point they turned up at the shop she worked in and she ended up having to get transferred.

I'm worried sick. Worried for DSD, what if they target her again. (It wasn't a random attack). Worried for mine and my smaller dds safety. Worried DH will do something fucking stupid. Her contact from the police did say that they could have us moved. But what does that entail exactly? We live in a HA house atm it means we have a secure tenancy for life, something that we want to cling on to. Also both me and DH are on the dole since he was made redundant last summer so that doesn't give us a lot of options rent wise. Are my dd's going to have to change schools? Massive meltdowns will entail once that one from dd1 who has ASD.

Am in a state of complete panic right now.

Pan Sun 10-Feb-13 15:08:06

cumfy, yes there's bit in the details that just don't add up.

Pan Sun 10-Feb-13 15:06:29

Bacardi - as a victim of this crime she will/should have had the opportunity to be consulted at significant stages of his sentence. Maybe she chose to not pursue this post -sentence? As a 'minor' at the time it would have fell to her parent/guardian to lead on this. Lots and lots of victims don't take up the offer as they understandably don't want anything more to do with the whole thing.

yes, phone the local probation office on Monday.
DSD doesn't have a 'right' to know where he lives BUT she does have a right to be consulted and informed about 'no contact' (which will be there anyway) and exclusion zones on the licence.

good luck, and post again if you aren't satisfied with the probation enquiry?

cumfy Sun 10-Feb-13 15:03:01

Pan, I can imagine there being difficulties if for instance DSD was claiming HB at some other address with her BF and an exclusion had been placed around that address.

But Bacardi has clearly indicated an absence of any such situation.

Which is why I am curious as to what precisely is happening here.

BacardiNCoke Sun 10-Feb-13 14:56:19

Pan 2 weeks ago she was told he would coming out in a month and she would be told where he is. Then last Monday she got a phone call from her contact in the police (not probation, this lady was the CID officer on the case and they've kept in touch) saying that he was being released on Friday just gone. She wasn't consulted on anything. After what you've said I'll inquire some more tomorrow as it doesn't sound right. We don't even know where he is living!

Pan Sun 10-Feb-13 14:40:08

As everything says, licence conditions can be altered post-release so suit whatever changing circumstances there are.

Pan Sun 10-Feb-13 14:36:10

As with Custy, I have a bit of knowledge about these circs are there one or two gaps and inconsistencies in what's being reported, at least. The rights of the victim in these offences and sentence are fairly well-asserted by police and probation, and your DSD would have been a priority in designing the release plan for this rapist. She would have been v heavily consulted about plans and certainly the proposed release date. This 'surprise' is probably the thing that makes me most hmm.

There will be an appointed experienced probation officer at the local office (Assuming this bloke as a 'local' at the time) who will be able to give you much better information.

maddening Sun 10-Feb-13 14:25:14

If you are happy to move and there would be no negative issues like loss of tenancy for life then I would go for a move.

If neither of you are working then you are actually if a good position as you aren't tied by location - especially if you get some extra assistance due to the circumstances.

Look for a lovely town or village where there are jobs available too - you could have a chance here to make it a positive thing.

Yanbu btw - he should not be out - his families actions show there is no remourse and he is still a danger - I don't see how they could make such a decision!

cumfy Sun 10-Feb-13 14:07:49

It does seem very odd that there is an exclusion area around her place of work but not her home.

I do still think someone has made an error.

Please speak to probation again. I am a probation officer. I would request a licence condition for him to be excluded from your home area, even if dsd doesn't live there, to allow her to visit her family. It's not too late to get this condition added.

BacardiNCoke Sun 10-Feb-13 13:54:36

Everythingsgoingtitsup yes DH did. He is banned from the city centre because that's where she works, but won't be banned from our area because technically he won't be living here. Even though his family live in the next street, so he will be around a lot. hmm We've decided to just clear our arrears and move and soon as possible. They're not arsed about whether she bumps into him or not, obviously he as the perpetrator has more rights than her as the victim. hmm

She's also just found out she's pregnant. sad Which hasn't gone well with her boyfriend. Grrrr I could ring his bloody neck right now. And she doesn't want DH to know so my head is all over the bloody place atm, trying to be supportive in secret. The poor kids have been neglected over the past week.

Cherriesarelovely Sun 10-Feb-13 11:19:23

This is so dreadful,I am so very sorry for your dsd and you all. How can this be allowed? It beggars belief. How is your dsd being provided with protection in this scenario? Sending you all huge hugs at such a difficult time for your family.

Bacardi- did you speak to probation? His licence can and will be amended to include an exclusion zone around your house, where dsd goes to school/works whatever. Their job is to provide victims with this protection as many earlier posters have said. They should have contacted you after he was sentenced to offer you input into where he will live and licence conditions on release, then kept in touch. Did they? If not you've good grounds for complaint. Please contact them.

How awful, glad your daughter has a wonderful Mum like you supporting her every step of the way. She is very lucky in that respect. <♡hugs♡> and love for both you and your daughter.
And sally, yes, a blunt knife, with vodka(not for him to drink), and plenty of salt rubbed in afterwards, the bastard.
I'm not normally that cruel, but on this occasion....
Hope you get all the help you need smile

garlicblocks Fri 08-Feb-13 13:41:40

Oh, I'm sorry. Just sending you a squeeze.

Sallyingforth Fri 08-Feb-13 13:36:14

I don't know what is strongest - my sadness for your family or my anger for the bastard rapist.
There is a solution to this, it requires a blunt knife, but unfortunately I don't think it's legal.

LittleChimneyDroppings Fri 08-Feb-13 13:19:04

I'm so sorry. Its not fucking fair. I hope you manage to move somewhere else soon.

Oh, poor lass.

I am absolutely sure it must mean the world to her to have someone like you in her corner, supporting her and ready to look after her.

Songbird Fri 08-Feb-13 12:53:06

This is just so awful, my heart goes out to you all. How on earth do child abusers serve so little time in prison?

BacardiNCoke Fri 08-Feb-13 12:39:12

She moved out last night. sad I had to fight to keep it together whilst she was here, didn't want to upset her further. Also didn't want to cry in front the kids. The kids were surprised because well a week ago we had no idea she'd be moving out. We had to tell them she was moving to help look after her grandad for now. When the kids went to bed I got in the bath and sobbed my heart out. sad

I'm angry today, really fucking angry. Her moving out should be a happy time. It should be happening on her terms when she's ready to move out on her own into her own place, and be independent. Something she's chosen and a natural progression of growing up. Not being pushed out of her childhood home in under a week to go and sleep on a couch because of some sadistic twat and the farce we call a justice system in this country! angry

LouMae Wed 06-Feb-13 20:47:34

Did he serve time on an electronic bail tag? The courts can also knock that off sentences.

Oh, how horrible.

I've no idea what to say but that is just awful. All sympathy to you and your step daughter. She must be a very brave women to have gone through the process of his trial, that must have required a huge amount of courage, especially at the age she was.

armagh Wed 06-Feb-13 20:18:46

Am so sorry for your sd and all your family. If only we could harness the power if all the women on mumsnet to get the laws changed. Rapists to serve full sentences and not to be allowed live within for example 50 miles of victim. Mumsnetters to pressure politicians. If only....

TheFallenNinja Wed 06-Feb-13 20:14:01

I'd go straight to the nationals with this. If you try any of the involved agencies you'll get nothing but bleeding heart apologists.

garlicblocks Wed 06-Feb-13 20:10:46

Bugger. Link

garlicblocks Wed 06-Feb-13 20:10:24

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear about the boyfriend on top of everything else. Poor DSD. I really hope you, DH and her Nan, modelling decent support, will give her enough of a comparison to lose the loser! Perhaps a whole load of "I'm sorry he wasn't more respectful/helpful/thoughtful/etc" from all of you will get through ...

It's good that her attacker's not going to be nearby full-time, but I can see why she's stressed out about him visiting there. Will the authorities serve a [[ http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7238173_restraining-order-uk.html non-molestation order]] on him? If he's on probation he could be sent back to prison for going within X yards of her, attempting to make contact, etc.

Having one might help with your housing association, too. Talk to the CAB. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now