Aibu to expect better from Tesco?

(50 Posts)

Was looking forward to a nice dinner of Jack daniels Marinated chicken drumsticks & thighs!

Got my drumsticks out of the fridge that i bought through online shopping with Tesco Fri evening.

Opened up the value chicken drumsticks ready to marinade with sauce & this rancid smell escapes from the packet, so bad it nearly knocked me out.
Dh had a sniff and he was nearly sickshock

Yes i know they were from the value range, but they didn't go out of date until monday.

So pissed off, short of cash right now & had to send dh out for more.

Aibu to expect to atleast get edible meat from Tesco?
It was rancid, it smelt like someone had shit on it shock

cowmop Sun 03-Feb-13 15:58:10

I opened a box of eggs from sainsbury's online to find 3 of them broken. I rang up and they credited the account. I'm sure you could do the same with Tesco. There's no need for a receipt or the packaging if you bought online as they have all the info.

RuleBritannia Sun 03-Feb-13 15:58:43

I wonder what's in their burgers?

ihearsounds Sun 03-Feb-13 16:00:52

It's not limited to tesco. I have had this in all supermarkets. One of the faults are customers who take stuff out of the fridge and either dump it around the store or change their minds at check out, so the temperature isn't consistent. Then how long as it been out of the fridge when restocking. Then chuck in home delivery and how long its out of the fridge while the packers do your shopping.

Find yourself a butchers. From the time it enters the store, to leave with you, the temperature has been adequately controlled.

WileyRoadRunner Sun 03-Feb-13 16:03:37

YABU to "expect better from Tesco" they use horse eat for beef burgers FFS!

No seriously, that is appalling and I have often had this problem with their chicken. Please take it back and make sure they give you the money back.

MysteriousHamster Sun 03-Feb-13 16:08:33

Ask for a refund. They will definitely give you one.

DeepRedBetty Sun 03-Feb-13 16:09:40

yanbu to expect better from Tesco and any other supermarket.

Please complain, if you don't they cannot track down the source of the problem and prevent it from happening again.

And politely remind them of their refund AND replace/double the difference policy if they don't immediately offer it. Needed to do that with the sourfaced old boot at customer services in ours last time.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 03-Feb-13 16:18:12

Sorry about your chicken but I need your recipe!

WileyRoadRunner Sun 03-Feb-13 16:20:23

^^ blush yes please here too

HollyBerryBush Sun 03-Feb-13 16:23:11

Ah but I lived overseas for many years where meat was hung outside for weeks until it was rancid cured, that included including water fowl and hens - so to me it's quite normal. In fact you don't gut a duck until it's innards have gone green grin

With that lovely thought, I'm off to do some baking grin

fuzzypicklehead Sun 03-Feb-13 16:31:08

I think my innards went green just thinking about that...

RibenaFiend Sun 03-Feb-13 16:35:00

Eeeeeeuwww!!! Green duck guts!!! shock

Startail Sun 03-Feb-13 16:40:18

Take it back, they will moan, but they will replace it.

or at least they did a box of mince that was clearly dead two days before it's date.

MichelleRooJnr Sun 03-Feb-13 16:53:42

I would phone their customer service and get a name/code to pick up free chicken next time you're in Tesco.
I say this because it happened to me last week.
Not chicken, but cat food.

I got home with the shopping and cat - knowing I had bags of shopping - was wrapping himself around my legs and being a right pain, so I opened the box of cat food sachets I'd just bought to shut him up feed him.

As soon as I broke the cardboard the stink hit me.
The box had a flap which you push inwards to open and when I pulled my hand out it had maggots crawling on it shock.
The box was full of maggots!
I threw it straight into a bin bag (and then in three more for good luck) and put it in the outside bin.

Then I phoned Tesco who said "well if you want a refund you need to bring it in to the store". I explained that I wasn't bothered about a refund but thought that they might like to know that there were possibly maggots on their cat food shelf!
And did they really want me to bring a rancid box of maggot-ridden stink into their shop?!

They just couldn't get past the whole "Here's how to get a replacement product" and in the end we left it that next time I came in I was take a box of cat food to service desk and ask for Kevin to get them free.
They never even asked what kind of cat food, whereabouts on shelf it was or anything.

Jux Sun 03-Feb-13 17:07:38

I love horsemeat, so if Tesco could guarantee one of their products contained it, I might actually start shopping there.

Geranium3 Sun 03-Feb-13 17:28:12

Tesco just don't seem to get it, never had a good customer experience with them, they always seem surly and think they are doing a huge favour when you are within your rights to have a refund!!
Certainly don't trust their meat products, haven't for years.
They are always getting their 40p breadrolls or 4 for £1 wrong at the till, i'm always having to check my bill. Once i forgot to check if discount had been correct, took receipt back to my nearer tesco instead of the one 5miles away where i had purchased said rolls from, and the staff were really off as i said this was always happening, and they said i should take them back to original store so i could mention discrepancy, they were pretty miffed when i said it was not my responsibility for tesco staff training or communication between stores!!
I hate shopping at tesco and try to avoid it like the plague!

I hate Tesco, had to fight with them after buying a jogging suit from them and it shrank the first time I washed it. Took it back to be told they had never had a problem before and it was one of their best sellers! I had to go and get another, the same size, and lay the 2 out together before they believed me. Got my money back and a £5 voucher but it took nearly half an hour!

Re: the chicken, as others have said, give them a call and tell them, you should get a redund/replacement

OatcakeCravings Sun 03-Feb-13 17:57:22

I had bad chicken breasts from a really expensive deli once. Not just a Tesco issue, can happen anywhere.

Thankyou everyone, will be phoning their customer services first thing in the morning!

Wasn't a recipe as such, just a Jack Daniels Marinade Saucegrin

To those that say you would eat chicken no matter how it smelt or a few days past it's sell by date-This chicken you wouldn't have, trust me, iv'e never smelt a think like it in my life.

Good tip about freezing when freshly bought, think i might do thatsmile

rainbow2000 Sun 03-Feb-13 18:18:57

Always used to happen wiht the chicken wings i bought in Tesco.What it is people carry stuff around in their trolley and then decide to not take it.So they dump it in a fridge.Tesco staff go round think its still cold and put it back in its proper place.
So it could have been out of the fridge a while.Just go back furhter in teh fridge but i would ring them see what they can do.And i know you bought online so wasnt anything to do with u

sparklyjumper Sun 03-Feb-13 18:33:38

A tip dm gave me is always freeze meat on the day of purchase as it never lasts despite the date. She also said to take it out of the pack and store it in a dish with a plate on top. But I'd still ask for a refund from Tesco. My online Tesco people always pick out the nicest stuff with the longest dates, must be hit and miss.

CheCazzo Sun 03-Feb-13 18:37:23

Seriously - complain and don't bother about taking it back. I once bought a whole fillet of beef for a special occasion, unwrapped it the next day and like you, nearly passed out. Rang the shop the next day and was told not to bring it in (I wouldn't have anyway, it was that rancid!). Good luck but I'm sure you'll get refunded.

fivesacrowd Sun 03-Feb-13 18:45:50

I used to work on customer services at sainsburys. If you've still got the packaging, take a note of the suppliers code and best before date then bin the lot. Then go to customer services or phone them and ask for refund. They won't want you handing back rancid chicken any more than you want to take it to them. Jack Daniels chicken sounds lovely btw

fosterdream Sun 03-Feb-13 18:58:25

I would phone them up, I've stuff from online shops that have gone wrong before and they always refund £10. I do spend a fortune there though.

AmandinePoulain Sun 03-Feb-13 19:08:21

Just phone them. They delivered pork a few weeks ago at 8:30pm that had a use by date of that very day, I phoned and they refunded me, and gave me £5 without me even asking. Plus I just chucked it straight in the freezer and fed it to dh and dd anyway wink. No need to wait until tomorrow either, they are open until late smile

IAmLouisWalsh Sun 03-Feb-13 19:33:06

Definitely phone up or email. They have been excellent about refunding out of date stuff which has arrived for me on online shopping in the last.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now