to think maybe we are not middle class enough for Dorset Cereals

(96 Posts)
5Foot5 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:24:48

Just that really.

I bought their granola but have more or less given up on it. It's not that I dislike it but I am worried all the time that it will dislodge one of my fillings. DH tried it once and says it tastes like something meant for a budgie's cage. DD won't touch it with a barge pole. It is destined for the bird table.

VinegarDrinker Sun 03-Feb-13 16:17:18

Does the fact I don't really have a clue what granola is (some kind of muesli?) therefore make me working class?

lottiegarbanzo Sun 03-Feb-13 21:02:43

Nah, granola is an American term. It's an oat-based cearal glued together with honey - like nut clusters - rather than muesli.

(I don't think sugary cereal is very middle class at all. Muesli purists we are. The DC honey granola is lovely though, with yoghurt, as a dessert).

oldebaglady Sun 03-Feb-13 22:14:30

museli is traditionally granola soaked overnight in fruit juice

granola is the oat and fruit/nut ingredient, so it's granola whatever you do with it (make it into bars or pour milk over it etc)
But museli is granola plus fruit juice plus soaking time, some people here say museli when they're putting milk on it but that's not really museli, that's just granola with milk

VinegarDrinker Sun 03-Feb-13 22:20:31

Even more confused now! I would say muesli to mean dry oats plus nuts, seeds and dried fruit. No honey, not soaked in anything... Eaten with cold milk.

What is that called then?!

Montybojangles Sun 03-Feb-13 22:57:30

Bircher muesli is when it's soaked in fruit juice

Montybojangles Sun 03-Feb-13 22:58:17

And very nice too with some chopped up apple and a dollop of yogurt

According to Wikipedia (which couldn't possibly be wrong) granola is toasted in oil but muesli is not.

WelshMaenad Sun 03-Feb-13 23:38:20

The hairy dieters granola recipe looks v nice, if you google hairy dieters granola it will probably come up as I found it in some woman and home site when I needed the cooking times for the accompanying compote. It's sweetened with reduced apple juice.

I make a variant on their muesli, with jumbo oats, rude health puffed wheat, dried berries and cherries, toasted flaked almonds, and some linseed mix (from aldi) with fruit, which sweetens it. It's lovely and quite low cal. I have it with fat free Greek yoghurt and forest fruits, or a chopped nectarine.

lottiegarbanzo Mon 04-Feb-13 04:01:28

Are you American oldbaglady? Thing is, I hadn't heard the term granola in the UK before about five years ago. I have heard it in the US to mean what we call muesli.

Wikipedia and Dorset Cereals use granola to mean oat-based cereal stuck together with honey. I suspect that's what the term granola has been adopted to mean in the UK, even if, in the US, this would be just a sub-set of the wider meaning. We already have the Swiss term muesli for oats plus fruit / nuts / seeds (whatever liquid you eat it with, they often use yoghurt).

I make my own granola. It is mostly the same recipe we used growing up, except I have taken out the rye flakes and added quinoa.
I use spelt flakes, teff, tritacale, oats, bran, quinoa flakes, coconut, hazel nuts, dried blueberries, dried currents and dried apples. I mix it with boiling water/maple syrup/honey mix, and bake in the oven for a few hours, until it is crumbly with some nuggets and mostly flakes.
We eat it cold, with milk, or on top of yogurt.
I am Canadian. We consider granola to be cereal that was made with flakes that were baked/toasted, where as muesli is made with raw flakes.

CuttedUpPear Mon 04-Feb-13 09:06:46

SoldatAuction you bake it for a few hours? Mine would be carbon by then. All it takes is 20 mins with a stir halfway through.

Pedallleur Mon 04-Feb-13 10:37:53

Dorset cereals? Seen them in Home Bargains before now so not mc at all

EmmaBemma Mon 04-Feb-13 12:02:08

Their granola doesn't have nearly enough sugar in it for my liking. I'm addicted to the Quaker granola. It's cheap and cheerful and facking delicious.

oldebaglady Mon 04-Feb-13 12:05:55

"Are you American oldbaglady? Thing is, I hadn't heard the term granola in the UK before about five years ago. I have heard it in the US to mean what we call muesli."

no I'm not, I just believe that the traditional swiss "museli" is not what we in the UK often call museli, i.e. oats+fruit/nuts+milk, it's a dish that is prepared the night before with fruit juice and the oats+fruit/nuts are soaked in fruit juice, and THEN yogurt can also be added - that end product is traditional "museli", I call the dry ingredients granola to distinguish it from the swiss dish, which I sometimes also do!

VinegarDrinker Mon 04-Feb-13 13:03:33

So what do you call the dry uncooked unlocked (and widely eaten/sold) version oldbagelady ?!

VinegarDrinker Mon 04-Feb-13 13:04:00

Unlocked? Should say unsoaked!

oldebaglady Mon 04-Feb-13 13:37:55

granola

VinegarDrinker Mon 04-Feb-13 13:54:50

So what's the stuff that's roasted in oil?

oldebaglady Mon 04-Feb-13 14:07:53

cereal? I don't know what you mean

magimedi Mon 04-Feb-13 15:49:21

just seen a big range of Dorset cereals in Lidl! So they are mass market!

CuttedUpPear I cook it at a low temp for the first hour to form the nuggets, stir, then turn it up for the last hour to crisp it.
The nut get added close to the end so they don't over toast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now