Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think maybe we are not middle class enough for Dorset Cereals

(96 Posts)
5Foot5 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:24:48

Just that really.

I bought their granola but have more or less given up on it. It's not that I dislike it but I am worried all the time that it will dislodge one of my fillings. DH tried it once and says it tastes like something meant for a budgie's cage. DD won't touch it with a barge pole. It is destined for the bird table.

EuroShopperEnergyDrink Sat 02-Feb-13 17:54:02

Sainsburys own granola is LUSH

They do a tropical one with dried pineapple and coconut and it's my favourite cereal ever. £2.33 for a kg as well, a packet lasts almost a month if you have a handful with a bit of yogurt

SoWhatIfImWorkingClass Sat 02-Feb-13 17:54:35

The Jordan's one with the raspberries is really nice. Bloody expensive though, same goes with Special K!

twinklesparkles Sat 02-Feb-13 17:55:28

Its not middle class

.... You can buy it in poundland ;)

(Not saying those that shop in poundland are of a lower class.. I love a bit of poundland)

FellatioNels0n Sat 02-Feb-13 17:57:10

This thread title has really tickled me. grin I am LOL LOL Lolling.

MrGeresHamster Sat 02-Feb-13 18:02:00

Ah but the Poundland boxes are tiny... a definite con.

kim147 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:05:02

I think it's the packaging and the name. I bet you could put the same stuff in different boxes and people would pay more for the fancy packaging grin

MoreBeta Sat 02-Feb-13 18:12:43

Oh Gawd! Say it ain't so!

"It's probably more MC to make your own ....."

I use this luxury granola recipe to make my own.

<49 years pretending to be classless and then defeated at the last gasp by a bowl of cereal>

sad

5Foot5 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:15:50

I am middle class and I love Dorset Cereals, they even raffle a camper van every now and then

The camper van raffle is the main reason I noticed them in the first place! But then they had a nice cereal called something like "simple honest crunch" which was less threatening to the molars.

It was while visiting the website to see if I had won the van that I formed the impression that i was meant to be eating this stuff out of Cath Kidston bowls while still in my Boden PJs.

FlickSticks Sat 02-Feb-13 18:18:51

I know a lot of working class people who eat dorset cereals... I am MC and don't. I would say porridge is more a MC staple!

sleepyhead Sat 02-Feb-13 18:24:17

That granola recipe looks amazing. Unfortunately I'm far too lazy to try it sad.

I'm on the Dorset Cereals mailing list too (never win the bloody camper van) and they are very, very middle class in a driving the campervan for a weekend in a pastel coloured beach hut with Saskia and William (Saskia's bringing the bunting) sort of way.

5Foot5 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:25:04

I would say porridge is more a MC staple!

Really!? But that is what I normally have on a weekday. The other stuff was meant to be a weekend treat. Mind you I get the porridge that only takes two minutes in a microwave - does that still count?

FlickSticks Sat 02-Feb-13 18:28:38

No! It has to be real porridge, not readybrek.

RandallPinkFloyd Sat 02-Feb-13 18:30:32

I am loving the red berries one, tried it for the first time this week as they've got the full size boxes for £1.49 in B&M Bargains.

Totes posh me.

countrykitten Sat 02-Feb-13 18:32:32

God I love porridge - never tried that microwave stuff though as it's so easy to make it yourself....why bother? Porridge made with almond milk is delish.

Montybojangles Sat 02-Feb-13 18:34:26

When it comes to porridge I'm so lazy I don't even do the microwave cheats variety, I use the porridge pots blush

sleepyhead Sat 02-Feb-13 18:38:58

You can make normal porridge in the microwave too. I do it because it saves on washing a pot and it's only me that eats it. <lazy>

tubsywubsy Sat 02-Feb-13 18:41:15

I tried Dorset's Gingerbread Porrige once. It was like eating wallpaper paste with bits of dry cardboard mixed into it. Utterly vile and completely tasteless.

CheCazzo Sat 02-Feb-13 18:53:09

That's a shame tubsy because it sounds rather nice!
So - home granola makers - what could one put into a home made mix that has to be as low sugar as possible? Almost all the ready made stuff is very high in sugar and we have to avoid that. I know it would preclude dried fruits but any other ideas?

AwkwardSquad Sat 02-Feb-13 19:56:28

I knit my own muesli. And I eat it from a bowl what I made myself and fired in my own kiln. *disclaimer: part of this statement is 100% truth-free (organically sourced).

AwkwardSquad Sat 02-Feb-13 20:01:14

Ps if trying to reduce sugar, use agave syrup instead of honey. Make it flaked nut and seed based (avoid whole nuts for the sake of your molars), that gives you flavour, texture and protein. Then add fresh fruit when you serve it, depending on personal and dietary preferences. I like kiwi fruit.

happybubblebrain Sat 02-Feb-13 20:07:20

My grandma was very middle class, she used to make her own muesli and eat it with sliced bananas or apricots. I buy Aldis cocoa pops, so I'm not quite sure what happened there.

MoreBeta Sat 02-Feb-13 21:36:26

CheCazzo - I suspect granola does rather depend on having some sticky sweetness in to make it glue together. If you need to avoid sugars for health reason you might just need to avoid granola and go for porridge.

CheCazzo Sat 02-Feb-13 21:53:00

Thanks more but for me the only way to eat porridge is with lashings of cream and brown sugar....... grin

wildfig Sat 02-Feb-13 22:25:35

I am so middle class I shun granola and cook porridge overnight in the slow oven of my Aga.

(I don't. I make it in a pan, but with water.)

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 02-Feb-13 22:31:49

Sorry to share this but poundland sell actual dorset cereals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now