Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not want school run mums to park accross my drive..............

(83 Posts)
CwtchesAndCuddles Fri 01-Feb-13 17:34:18

I need to vent.

We live very close to dds primary school on the main road through a villiage. There is plenty of parking but very little right by the school because of safety - school zigzags, single yellow lines etc.

There is a yellow line outside my house and residents parking on the other side of the road(terraced houses without drives) the houses my side all have drives and we all use them.

This morning there were two cars blocking mine and my neighbours drive - why do people think they can do this? Just park a bit further along the roadwhere there is space and WALK the extra 100 meters!!!

Don't get me started on the ones who park on the pavement so that people with pushchairs have to walk in the road......................or the ones who pull up blocking my drive to drop off as I'm trying to pull out.

What happens to people on the school run????

harbingerofdoom Mon 04-Feb-13 19:55:57

Hose pipe ban?

I don't need to water any flowers (all drowned) but the path is looking very mossy wink.

hermioneweasley Sat 02-Feb-13 20:14:56

Lappy - What on earth coukd the police charge him with? Surely an elderly man with poor eyesight just missed aim when he was watering his flowers?

lappy Sat 02-Feb-13 20:04:56

Right next to our school is a small cul-de-sac. One 4X4 mother parked her huge truck across an old mans drive for whole afternoon during sports day. He obviously took issue, she made it clear she didn't give a and he ended up turning his hope pipe on her and soaking her!!! Great but then she called police and he got done for it angry

Sugarice Sat 02-Feb-13 19:43:19

Never feel sorry for the shame face these parking twats put on when they're caught
in the act!

They then think you'll be equally sympathetic THE NEXT TIME they do it.

I photograph the offenders, yesterday some dick in his mahoosive van blocked the entire path on the other side of the road!

I told him his parking was dreadful and I got smile back. Twatpack!!.

pandaptogether Sat 02-Feb-13 19:31:34

happens all the time outside our school. the PTA produced a name a shame leaflet a few times to stop it happening.

Tensixtysix Sat 02-Feb-13 19:27:45

If your car is on the drive and they block it in, then they are breaking the law and deserve and 'egging'. If you can't get back onto your drive then you have to wait as you don't own the piece of road outside your home.

Eggs are great as they will stick to the paintwork good and proper. That should stop them!

Antipag Sat 02-Feb-13 19:25:23

We have his EXACT problem. We started up a Facebook group taking pictures of offending vehicles and naming and shaming. We started distributing in paper form in the playground. It definitely stopped. Although then we had he renewed problem of people driving along at a crawl on he pavement whilst they search for somewhere to sneak their car, that was until one such driver ran a woman's foot over and the local police got involved.

gimmecakeandcandy Sat 02-Feb-13 19:24:36

That website is hilarious

http://youparklikeacunt.com/

dangly131 Sat 02-Feb-13 19:21:00
thebody Sat 02-Feb-13 19:20:32

Gosh.. Key the car... Obviously ensure you aren't seen..

Dededum Sat 02-Feb-13 19:00:24

We live near the junior school and my boys walk home, usual stupid and dangerous parking, on bends, on pavements, chatting with doors open so blocking pavement.

Nice mum, who I like, met me at some do and said - "oh, nearly run A (9) over yesterday". Didn't know quite what to say, if you didn't park your gigantic 4x4 so stupidly or even parked further down the road or heavens above your kids walked the ten minutes home.... No it was my son's fault for having to negotiate the obstacle course of school pick up...

diddl Sat 02-Feb-13 18:56:14

Is it right that it´s OK to block an empty drive?

My Dad has a garage, so the drive is always empty...

Snog Sat 02-Feb-13 18:51:06

The police will help you with this
But if someone parks on your actual drive they won't get involved...
Crazy mixed up world, eh?

bigbluebus Sat 02-Feb-13 18:49:38

I remember when DS was at our local Primary School, parking was always an issue. The footpath down from the school leads to a triangle around which people park. At the end of the triangle, you turn left onto the pavement.
I remember one day walking home with DS to find that someone (who had arrived late) had squeezed her car onto the end of the row and parked directly across the start of the pavement. The result of this was that as children walked down the footpath chatting to their friends, they just walked around her car to get onto the pavament, but in doing so, they were inadvertently walking out into the middle of the road and th eoncoming traffic. It is a wonder noone got run over.
I told DS to wait for me, whilst I stood next to her car and waited for her to return. I made her stand and watch what the children were doing and pointed out how bloody stupid she had been and how her parking could be responsible for the death or serious injury of a child. She 'apparently' hadn't realised! questions whether said woman had the intelligence to pass her driving test. SHe certainly never parked there again in my lifetime at the school, although I had seen her park in equally 'stupid' places around the local town. SOme people will never learn.

SofaKing Sat 02-Feb-13 18:48:17

Some great suggestions here, I might print off section 243 and paste it over every lampost in the street!
I live three doors away from the school; they have recently provided a one way system through my road for school users and a waiting section within the school.
People still park in my street, on one occasion right in front of me when I was waiting to cross with my DC.
They also run their engines as it is cold. This is illegal near schools under a bylaw in our county, and there were TV adverts last year about this. When I pointed it out to one mum she had no idea it was illegal (or that they clouds of choking smoke might be bad for the kids?)

I'm just so scared for the dc, last week ds2 who is 20 months broke his reins and ran a few steps into the road while I was locking the door. He isn't the only toddler to do this or the only child to cross without looking and the school run people just speed up the street without looking, or park without looking often on the kerb.

I wonder if it has occurred to any of them what they would feel if they hurt or killed a child?

marjproops Sat 02-Feb-13 18:34:47

OP, take what MoreCrack said and quote Highway code section 243 to the school, AND maybe write HC section 243 on a paper and stick that on offending cars!!!!

In fact I may cut and paste that and do same thing! Lets all do it!

Tailtwister Sat 02-Feb-13 18:26:45

YANBU, it's really unnecessary and only serves to irritate the residents affected.

I have come to the conclusion that there will always be selfish, self centred people who put their own needs before others. Sometimes it's due to stupidity and other times they are fully aware of the inconvenience they are causing, but choose to do so anyway. DS1's school is full of them. Parking over driveways, on zig zags, the lot.

From the Highway Code section 243

DO NOT stop or park
near a school entrance
anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
in front of an entrance to a property
on a bend
where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic

marjproops Sat 02-Feb-13 18:06:01

Thanx harbinger.

OP, hope you get it sorted too soon.

harbingerofdoom Fri 01-Feb-13 20:43:01

Oh,that's great, best of luck in your new home.

Hope it's easier for you to manage.

marjproops Fri 01-Feb-13 20:26:02

I told blocker Id phone police next time, but what the other drivers were saying was sufficient enough! she didnt even apologise, drove off with middle finger up at all of us. btw its a dropped kerb too.

We're actually moving soon so hopefully won't get this agin. It hasnt happened since btw.

supposed to have a designated space where we're moving to so i hope to God it doesnt happen there!!!!

harbingerofdoom Fri 01-Feb-13 20:19:50

Sorry, rushing again. What happened to the blocker?

harbingerofdoom Fri 01-Feb-13 20:18:24

Margproops-so glad to hear that the impatient drivers backed you up.

What happened? Did they apologise or did you get a mouthful?

Can you get a disabled space painted on the road, or even a yellow line?

justmyview Fri 01-Feb-13 20:17:56

take photos of offending cars clearly blocking your drive and email to police? I suspect they couldn't issue tickets based on your photo, but might enable them to write to the offender warning them off

BoffinMum Fri 01-Feb-13 20:10:44

I've got mobility problems, a blue badge, and when I am having trouble walking, I sometimes park completely legally on a public road near the station, not on a line or anything, not blocking a driveway, and there are very few cars parked on that long road and plenty of space for about fifty additional cars others. In other words, I am not in anyone's way at all.

Some nutjob keeps writing all over my car telling me not to park there, because they have decided this public road is their road because they happen to live there.

I am very pissed off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now