Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not want school run mums to park accross my drive..............

(83 Posts)
CwtchesAndCuddles Fri 01-Feb-13 17:34:18

I need to vent.

We live very close to dds primary school on the main road through a villiage. There is plenty of parking but very little right by the school because of safety - school zigzags, single yellow lines etc.

There is a yellow line outside my house and residents parking on the other side of the road(terraced houses without drives) the houses my side all have drives and we all use them.

This morning there were two cars blocking mine and my neighbours drive - why do people think they can do this? Just park a bit further along the roadwhere there is space and WALK the extra 100 meters!!!

Don't get me started on the ones who park on the pavement so that people with pushchairs have to walk in the road......................or the ones who pull up blocking my drive to drop off as I'm trying to pull out.

What happens to people on the school run????

WildThong Fri 01-Feb-13 18:16:34

YANBU, very annoying. But what about the school run dads? Are they allowed?
smile

MerylStrop Fri 01-Feb-13 18:18:21

photocopy a lot of passive agressive notes and litter their cars with them

cones is a good idea (also humorous)

manitz Fri 01-Feb-13 18:18:53

i live on a road with difficult parking and have a lowered kerb, technically you can get them a ticket if you complain to the council though I don't ever complain about neighbours i do write down non neighbour cars that park over my lowered kerb and get tickets for regular offenders, they don't do it again but these are often parking for the station and cars can be left for at least 8 hours or upto a week so they need to be there long enough for a warden to get out.

At our school a neighbour of mine drives every day (it's 0.6 of a mile) it takes me the same amount of time to walk and he has a massive cayenne. He always parks over someones drive. People in the road have complained to the school (about other parents blocking drives) and the school takes it seriously and will act. They have told neighbours of the school to give reg numbers and will deal wth it.

We are moving and at our new school people park on the pavement so I struggle to get a pram down. I can tell it's going to be fun...

manitz Fri 01-Feb-13 18:20:40

er and yes I am a bit anal

Matildaduck Fri 01-Feb-13 18:21:37

Yanbu we have a twat of a mum who parks her mahoosive 4 x 4 across ( i kid you not ) the school gate.

She's got peroxide blonde hair and is a chav. Even the school email hasn't stopped her.

I would love to smear a dirty nappy across her window.

HildaOgden Fri 01-Feb-13 18:27:14

Print out an A4 flyer with the words 'you have blocked emergency services access,please refrain from doing it again'.

Then paste it on to their windscreen with wallpaper paste.They won't park there again.

Purple2012 Fri 01-Feb-13 18:29:11

If you cant get IN to your drive because someone is parked there it is not an obstruction. If you cant get OUT then it is.

I suggest, each time someone parks across your drive and you cant get out you have to be somewhere. Ring the police on 101 and tell them you are unable to get out of your drive and you have to be somewhere. Give them the registration number of the offending vehicle. Chances are they wont be able to send someone in time, as it will be a low priority. But if they do have someone free to send they will. Dont get angry if they dont send someone, just every couple of days ring up with the same complaint - you have to be somewhere and you cant get out. Dont do it every day or it will be really obvious!!! But each time ask for a log number and keep a record.

After 2 or 3 weeks of this, when you have quite a few log numbers have the same problem again, and this time ask for a local officer to contact you as this is an ongoing problem. They will have a record of all your calls and the registration numbers. If there is the same reg over and over again it is even better.

When a local officer contacts you they will be able to have someone patroling regularly for a while to get the message across.

It will take time and patience, but the police wont know there is a problem unless you keep ringing it in. Its no good waiting until you are at the end of your tether with it and expecting an instant solution.

NewYearNewBoo Fri 01-Feb-13 18:31:41

Call your local council and ask if a traffic warden can patrol at school time. They can fine people for parking on dropped kerbs and on double yellow lines.

marjproops Fri 01-Feb-13 18:37:09

harbingerofdoom- shirly not!

an empty driveway? what if the home owner comes back while car is blocking driveway?

Happened to me once. couldnt get into my own drive and cars were parked on both sides of road so no one could overtake.stayed where i was waiting, about to phone police.

cars behind me honking, a woman came out and started giving ME grief for holding up traffic.

I told her why ''I cant get into my own drive, you see I have a disabled child with me,why dont you take that reg number of the twat thats done this and tell police/whoever the person shouldnt be on the road as they cant read signs''.

woman ended up agreeing with me, i refused to move till the f*** came back and then SHE got all the grief from the 6 or so cars behind me.

thank you. and breathe......

Pancakeflipper Fri 01-Feb-13 18:39:02

Tell the school. Give them all the car regs. Speak to the Head Teacher
The school should inform parents/carers to be respectful of the residents.
And schools have good contacts with the local community police and they will come at school drop off and pick up times and monitor the situation.

One resident near our school rightly complained about the same old lazy arses parking outside his property on the pavement blocking access to his home. It was a daily thing . And one afternoon 6 lazy arses collected their darlings and came to find parking tickets under their window screen wipers.

ruby1234 Fri 01-Feb-13 18:40:55

Write 'Do not park here' on their windscreen with lipstick.
Takes an age to get off, smears all over. grin

harbingerofdoom Fri 01-Feb-13 18:45:50

The empty driveway blocking is not an obstruction, margproops,daft,or what?

Purple2012 has said the same sad. We'll just have to put up with it.

mrsjay Fri 01-Feb-13 18:48:58

Yanbu I live near a school and the mad parking drives me bonkers I dont have a drive though but they double park and everything, complain to the school and the community police officer somebody must have done that here because after christmas the traffic warden was doing the rounds at 9 am grin

First I would contact the school

You could always use these ... wink

quoteunquote Fri 01-Feb-13 18:49:17

make sure you put their picture on here

start a FB page, with the name of the school, Hatherfield village school selfish lazy parking, put the pictures on there,

get some sticky labels, write on them where they can view their selfish lazy parking, stick on all windows.

JoanByers Fri 01-Feb-13 18:49:55
JoanByers Fri 01-Feb-13 18:50:14

ooh, fucking triple snap

FeckOffCup Fri 01-Feb-13 18:52:52

Break an egg over their window, it's an absolute fucker to shift once it dries on.

Purple2012 Fri 01-Feb-13 18:59:23

Don't put anything on their cars. If it cannot be easily wiped off (you have to be able to just wipe it for it to come off) then it could be classed as criminal damage. It's not worth it.

acceptableinthe80s Fri 01-Feb-13 19:09:03

A relative of mine has the same problem, they got hold of some sort of private parking signs that have a very sticky/glue based backing and stuck them on the windscreen, drivers side. They are a nightmare to remove grin

We are lucky that the police sometimes stand outside ds's school as the station is round the corner. This week is walk to school week and they've been there every day. Much amusement to be had watching everyone panic as they cant park on the corners/double yellows where they usually park.

harryhausen Fri 01-Feb-13 19:13:41

We have this at our school. I do drive to school (it's a 45 minute walk otherwise) but I park at least 3 streets away as I don't want to get embroiled in the parking/dropping/pulling out frenzy there is outside the school.

I have NEVER parked across a driveway. I have a drive. It's quite rural, plenty of places to park and once I woke up to find a random car parked over my drive. It was there for hours. I was LIVID.

The HT at our school gets soooo many complaints about parking. It's so bad that parking wardens are often there once a month or so. The school has asked people to report offending number plates to a certain tel number.

GreenShadow Fri 01-Feb-13 19:16:53

The police may be reluctant to come if you call them and ask them to come now, but try asking for a PCSO to patrol occasionally at school times.

harbingerofdoom Fri 01-Feb-13 19:19:48

It was quiet during the snow as everyone walked but when it's a bit of rain out come the cars again. Everyone should have got used to rain by now.

The parking on the corners,which are double yellows, is 100% full at school time, it is so selfish and dangerous.

Do you think one of those cardboard, cut out, policemen would help (from a distance)?

SilverClementine Fri 01-Feb-13 19:25:34

I have this exact same problem and it makes my blood boil. I always challenge ppl but have never contacted the school or police. Am feeling inspired to do such that now so thank you grin

WorriedMummy73 Fri 01-Feb-13 19:31:29

As a Mum who takes my 3 primary-aged kids to school by bus the whole parking thing drives me insane. At our school we have a cowardly head who hasn't made an appearance at the main gate (where we regularly have people park on the pavement and reverse into families) since before last summer hols. This is no exaggeration - the man does not do confrontation. Parents spent ages getting single yellows on the road outside the school and a sign saying no parking between 8.30-9.30 and 3.30-4.30 but as police/council/head/golf club (who share the school lane) all refuse responsibility people now park where they damn well please. As a bolshy, fuck-with-my-kids-safety-and-I'll-give-you-what-for type of Mum I quite happily tell people off for poor parking and driving, but get an awful lot of verbal in return (usually in front of my kids) despite being polite and not swearing myself. What really pisses me off is the amount of other parents walking by who watch me get the abuse then say (when the offending driver has gone) 'oooh, good for you, someone has to tell them'. Yeah, thanks for the support when I was getting sworn at in front of my 4 year-old. I still keep doing it though - keep hoping I will slowly get the message across or that other parents might actually support me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now