Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think a friend shouldn 't give a sip of beer to get ds 8?

(52 Posts)
FedupofTurkey Fri 01-Feb-13 14:18:35

I was :0 at it. She said a bit won't harm, they do in france! Isn't she setting up problems for the future?

Funny replies here.
I'm sure when I was about 4-5 I was sucking the froth off my dads beers?
It used to be our treat if my dad was having a beer.
Had to take in turns with my sister.
And yes, we are both full blown alcoholics today!

DragonMamma Fri 01-Feb-13 14:46:30

YABVU

My DD is 5 and has had a sip and thinks it's absolutely foul. They are hardly likely to feel that lovely heady feeling after the first glass on a Friday and start selling themselves for a bottle of 20/20

manicbmc Fri 01-Feb-13 14:50:55

Has anyone called SS yet? hmm

I am reliably informed that I got tipsy at a Greek wedding when I was 2 (and nicking people's champagne).

I was allowed sips of beer, wine and sherry (at Christmas) as I was growing up. By about 13 I was also allowed a small glass of wine with my dinner, though we rarely had wine anyway.

I'm 43. My liver is in good order and I'm not a raging alcoholic.

And thankyou for reminding me to put wine in the fridge for later. grin

GirlOutNumbered Fri 01-Feb-13 14:56:15

YABU

Trazzletoes Fri 01-Feb-13 14:58:18

Just out of interest, OP, at what age do you think it would appropriate?

OldBeanbagz Fri 01-Feb-13 15:06:57

Was it your DS or hers? If yours then she really shouldn't have done it without asking your permission?

If it's her DS then i'd have no problems. My children (11 & 8) have both had odd sips of wine/beer but it's always met with a look of disgust. I don't think i'm setting them up for a lifetime of alcohol abuse.

I on the other hand, grew up in a house with a strict no alcohol policy and boy did rebel against this in my late teens!

usualsuspect Fri 01-Feb-13 15:11:39

Call the police

BackforGood Fri 01-Feb-13 15:13:23

a sip ? really... a sip ?

Scholes34 Fri 01-Feb-13 15:20:33

You should give some serious thought to CAMRA membership for him.

Pagwatch Fri 01-Feb-13 15:23:23

No. She isn't .
Yabu

Did you not see the other 30 posts saying no, it will not set up problems and yes, you are being unreasonable?

SomeKindOfDeliciousBiscuit Fri 01-Feb-13 15:27:03

Legally you can give a child some alcohol at home from five years old. I assume they mean sips, but YABU.

was this her child or yours?

Booyhoo Fri 01-Feb-13 15:34:16

what problems do you think she is setting up OP?

my dsis and i were both allowed to have a sip of my mum's wine around that age. i thought it was vile and have never touched any wine since. dsis liked it and would have the odd sip now and again however chose to be tee total aged 18 when she saw how some of her friends reacted to alcohol. neither of us have experienced any problems as a result of having wine at that age.

Fenton Fri 01-Feb-13 15:58:56

I'd be surprised if an eight year old would actually like beer and develop a serious taste for it.

I wouldn't be shocked or alarmed.

DS1 has always had a bit of a taste for Pinot Grigio, - he used to toddle over and drop his dummy in my glass, I thought it was an accident the first time it happened grin

He is eight now and he's still only on one glass a day, so it can't be that bad.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Fri 01-Feb-13 16:02:45

If it was Stella YABU
If it was Watneys Red Barrel, YADNBU

In this, as in all areas of parenting, it's important to establish good habits from the off.

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 01-Feb-13 16:03:06

Where have you gone OP, thinking of a new spoon to mix somewhere else?

MrsWolowitzerables Fri 01-Feb-13 16:12:42

YABU.

What harm can it do? I remember being small and my dad letting me have a sip of his whiskey. Apparently I said in a husky voice "oooooooh thats nice".

I also used to be allowed sips of wine as a child or a bottle of alcopop from about 15 yo.

Now I don't drink very often and I really respect my parents for not making alcohol a big issue or a taboo. When I started going out clubbing (is it still called that)? it wasn't a novelty to drink and I never ended up wasted and puking in the toilets and mostly drove anyway as I wasn't that fussed about drinking.

sheepflower Fri 01-Feb-13 16:14:30

YABU. It's a sip. Nothing will happen!

OneMoreChap Fri 01-Feb-13 16:18:01

YABU

I was allowed watered wine or beer as a youngster.
I preferred Coke.

If alcohol is available and drunk with meals, and you don't make it special, it's much less rebellious to drink it.

I remember going to one lads house and he said, "there's some beer left from a party, shall we drink it?" I thought, there's beer in our frdige, and i don't like taht, so said "No".

katiecubs Fri 01-Feb-13 16:19:34

OP you are crackers

ZipItShrimpy Fri 01-Feb-13 16:48:47

Fenton grin

tattoosarenotallowed Fri 01-Feb-13 16:50:51

My gran used to dip my brother's dummy in her vodka and bitter lemon. Hasn't done him any harm that I can see.

TheYamiOfYawn Fri 01-Feb-13 16:55:13

My mother is French, and I was given watered-down wine with food regularly from when I was 5 or so. I would have a glass of undiluted wine from around 14. By that point, I liked nice wine and didn't associate it with getting drunk, so had no desire to get hammered on cheap nasty drinks in my teens. I have continued to drink less than my friends (but very good quality) ever since.

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 01-Feb-13 16:56:04

YABU. You would have been totes shock at me as once when camping I dipped my finger into my wine and my baby DS2 aged about 17 months tasted it. He then reached out to drink the whole glass as he so liked the taste. I have learned not to do that again grin

Mind you both DC now recoil at any suggestion that they might like a sip of beer, so obv not scarred for life

extracrunchy Fri 01-Feb-13 17:00:53

A sip?! For god's sake OP... YANBU YABRidiculous!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now