Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask what your toddler daughter calls her bits?

(63 Posts)
Meggymoodle Thu 31-Jan-13 17:42:24

I only ask as I was fairly mortified the other day to hear my (just) 2 year old refer to her "bits" as her fandango - she has obviously heard me say it in passing at some point in the past blush but she's got it totally in context.

Just wondered if there was any reasonable terminology. We always called it a vagina when I was younger but I hated it as a word - still not desperately keen.

StuntGirl Fri 01-Feb-13 01:04:02

Good god @ some of these terms. If she decided to call her arm or her head or her nose some ridiculous made up word would you go with it? It's her vulva. It's normal. No need to come up with cutsie pie names.

BonzoDooDah Thu 31-Jan-13 22:18:32

"Great wall of GINA" is CLASSIC!!!! thanks

I decided that boys have "willy" that everyone knows what it is so DD would have "fanny" as everyone knows what that is.
I can't stand twee names like flower or tuppence as they are so ambiguous and almost give in to the view that women's bodies should be blushed about and mens bodies joked about.

Also - your vagina is the tube up to your womb. Your vulva is the stuff on the outside - so best to get that bit right if you're teaching them the medically correct name.

Vulva (2 yo DD)
Willy (4 yo DS, is aware it's also called a penis but prefers willy)

We've had a few pregnant friends and family members and lots of interest in how babies grow. I managed to get hold of a copy of this awesome book so they now know, in fairy graphic detail, what vaginas and uteruses (uteri???) are too. Never intended to teach them at such a young age, they just kept asking questions and I kept answering them.

grin at Glenda! Maybe I could start calling it Mavis, or some such.

I have struggled with this with DD (2.5) - vagina/vulva seems wrong at this age, maybe 'girly bits' will have to do for now confused

PartTimeModel Thu 31-Jan-13 22:00:48

Nu nu - I don't know where that came from. I quite like it. My 20 month old has picked it up too bless her grin

We talk about our 'privates' being the entire vagina/bottom region and breasts. that came out of necessity as she was evolving into a flasher aged 3. The concept of 'privates' has been very useful in keeping that under wraps (publicly at least).

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Thu 31-Jan-13 21:58:44

Boys have willies
Girls have Wilmas !!

ISeeSmallPeople Thu 31-Jan-13 21:57:21

Glenda.
No idea why, but she's 4 and has some funny ideas.

Thingiebob Thu 31-Jan-13 21:54:11

My 3 yr insists it is her old
'Volvo'.

HoneyDragon Thu 31-Jan-13 21:48:04

Dd at 3 knows babies come out fanjos <<frowns dswards hmm>>

HoneyDragon Thu 31-Jan-13 21:46:28

Day to day purposes

We have Fanjos and Willies here.

For lecturing purposes it is Vulva and Penis.

Vulva here, although it was pronounced 'roller' until very recently.

ErikNorseman Thu 31-Jan-13 21:44:38

My DS learnt Minnie from nursery and I'm ok with that. He knows penis but calls his a willy. He asked me what the hole was called that babies came out of and I told him it was the vagina, but I don't think he realised it was the same thing as a Minnie confused explaining this stuff feels like a bit of a minefield.

thebitchdoctor Thu 31-Jan-13 21:42:43

My 18 month calls it foofoo or foofie. I will explain the proper terminology (vulva) when she's capable of saying it.

SauvignonBlank Thu 31-Jan-13 21:41:37

Butterfly bottom! She came up with this herself but we both know what it meaans.

Lostonthemoors Thu 31-Jan-13 21:34:21

Don't have a dd yet but if/when we do, I'm going for bits, I think.

paddyclamp Thu 31-Jan-13 21:33:13

Nowt wrong with fanny imo...hate front bottom etc...poo doesn't come out of it! smile

Arcadia Thu 31-Jan-13 21:30:18

Was discussing this with a friend the other day. DD is 3.3 and will refer to it as her bottom which is confusing if she says her bottom is sore. Having read this think I am going to use 'girl bits'. When we were children we always said fanny but for some reason people seem to think that is rude now.

Arcadia Thu 31-Jan-13 21:28:29

My DP started 'bits and bobs' but that can backfire when I thoughtlessly say 'just going to get some bits and bobs from the car'!

FarelyKnuts Thu 31-Jan-13 21:28:04

My 3yo DD insists its all her bum and laughs uproariously when I try to talk about vulvas grin

ledkr Thu 31-Jan-13 21:26:00

Dd2 who is 2 says wa wa as she pats the appropriate bit!!
Dd1 always said lulu which is nice expect that's my name!!

mrswoz Thu 31-Jan-13 21:25:41

We say foofoo. Or sometimes just foo.

My family used the word mini for it when my sisters and I were growing up and I hated it, lots of people drove round in Mini cars at the time and all my friends called it a fanny, I wanted to be the same as them!

Doo da grin

jamdonut Thu 31-Jan-13 21:19:18

My gran always used to say it was "your penny"!! And that is what I used to call it when I was younger. But for DD I used to say front bottom and back bottom.

gazzalw Thu 31-Jan-13 21:13:30

She used to say "front bottom" but now says "minnie" instead! She's got that from one of her school friends!

BlackholesAndRevelations Thu 31-Jan-13 21:12:02

Oh and Minnie is a PERSON'S NAME! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now