Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask what your toddler daughter calls her bits?

(63 Posts)
Meggymoodle Thu 31-Jan-13 17:42:24

I only ask as I was fairly mortified the other day to hear my (just) 2 year old refer to her "bits" as her fandango - she has obviously heard me say it in passing at some point in the past blush but she's got it totally in context.

Just wondered if there was any reasonable terminology. We always called it a vagina when I was younger but I hated it as a word - still not desperately keen.

familyfun Thu 31-Jan-13 17:43:58

dds say bum and bits. i would be embarassed if they said vagina at church/school, doesnt sound right from 2 yr olds imo.

My dd calls it her frufru, I have no idea why it didn't come from me, maybe from the childminder or one of the little girls at nursery LOL

KenLeeeeeee Thu 31-Jan-13 17:44:33

My dd (4yo) insists that she has "two bums" and won't accept any other terminology. blush

Snowflakepie Thu 31-Jan-13 17:45:16

We've always used bits, because I don't like vagina from a toddlers mouth even though it is anatomically correct. However, after a bath this week, my 3 year old informed me she was drying her 'onesie'. I'm ashamed to say I really was crying with laughter at that one, best stay away from fashion magazines until the trend is over for fear of embarrassment lol!

Feminine Thu 31-Jan-13 17:46:00

bottom

2 yo DD is convinced her bum and vulva are 'bum' and won't hear any different from me.

Booboobedoo Thu 31-Jan-13 17:47:28

My dd (2.3) calls it her fanny.

Seem to remember reading advice on MN yonks ago to teach them to label their body parts so that it would be recognisable to others. It was to do with the child being able to report abuse without causing confusion.

I know fanny isn't accurate, but people in this country know it means vulva, I think.

HeadFairy Thu 31-Jan-13 17:48:00

dd refers to it as her bottom. I'm not going to correct her, I'm happy for her to say front bottom or bottom for now. Ds (5) refered to her clitoris (she had her legs apart in the bath) as her willy. Umm now how to address that one? grin

meddie Thu 31-Jan-13 18:21:36

My daughter called hers her sugar puff.. because well it err looked like a sugar puff..

WellTravelledPrawn Thu 31-Jan-13 19:26:00

My DD aged 4 knows it's her vulva but generally prefers the term 'muffin', lord only knows where she got it from, but she often gives people quite funny looks in Starbucks!

Front bum/ back bum or just bits!

BarredfromhavingStella Thu 31-Jan-13 19:28:47

Tuppence.

peppersaunt Thu 31-Jan-13 19:29:55

Front bottom in our house (though DD spent several years referring to both her front and back as her "bottom").

NickNacks Thu 31-Jan-13 19:30:42

Minnie (as in mini bum!)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 31-Jan-13 19:30:55

Vulva here... Unless your DD is particularly exploratory vagina is not technically correct.

weegiemum Argentina Thu 31-Jan-13 19:31:23

In our house it's boy bits and girl bits.

3monkeys3 Thu 31-Jan-13 19:32:40

Tinkle. Sorry. My ds started it and I just went with it as I couldn't think of what to say myself.

kinkyfuckery Thu 31-Jan-13 19:33:04

A bit older, but my 4 and 7 year old girls call it a "weewee". My friend's 4 year old calls it a cookie - that was a bit awkward on our first playdate!

sukysue Thu 31-Jan-13 19:34:29

foof for girls bits, willie for boys simples!

digerd Thu 31-Jan-13 19:37:56

It was always" wee wee", presumably as that is the place the wee came from.
My younger sister for some reason called wah wah. My sil's nieces called it their fairy.

fosterdream Thu 31-Jan-13 19:38:00

Lady bits my end

IrnBruChew Thu 31-Jan-13 19:39:53

I hate the word fanny! Can't imagine a young child referring to it as that. Dd just says bottom, she's 5

purpleloosestrife Thu 31-Jan-13 19:51:52

My little girl has a tinkle and boys have willies

biglips Thu 31-Jan-13 19:54:18

front bum and back bum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now