....to ask the smokers

(58 Posts)
HoHoHoNoYouDont Wed 30-Jan-13 23:41:34

...who enjoy smoking if a part of you really wants to give it up? If you do then what in your opinion do you think could really help you succeed?

CaptChaos Thu 31-Jan-13 05:36:19

I loved smoking, everything about it, couldn't have given a poop about being all smokey smelly, we just couldn't afford it, so we stopped. Quite how our marriage survived that first couple of weeks, I shall never know.

I still miss it despite now not being able to stand the smell of smoke confused

Chloe55 Thu 31-Jan-13 05:53:16

Ecigs were the only thing that helped me. I have stopped 'smoking' those too now. Dh, my dad, stepmum and some friends all stopped with the help of ecigs. I recommend them all the time. As a smoker I never thought I'd be able to stop but now I'm one of those reformed smokers who hates the smell grin If someone comes into work stinking of cigs it makes me consider that I too must have stunk like that whilst smoking.

MrRected Thu 31-Jan-13 06:29:51

I gave up in September 2000 when I found out I was pregnant with DS1. I smoked 30 a day and just gave up cold turkey. It really was easy, I never craved a cigarette.

I stayed off the cigs until he was 2 started again for about 6 months and gave up again when DS2 was conceived - same thing, gave up as soon as I had a positive pregnancy test. I have never started again.

On the odd occasions I have been tempted, I picture myself at my childrens' weddings and remind myself that it's my job to keep healthy to be around for them well into the future.

wigglesrock Thu 31-Jan-13 06:46:19

I smoke abut 6 cigarettes a week, sometimes less especially if the weathers shitty. I have 1 at about 9.30pm most nights. I have no intention on giving those cigarettes up.

I did obviously smoke a lot more before I had the kids. I was able to stop in each pregnancy without any bother, stay off them for about 6-9 months and then start again as soon as I went back to work.

My husband stopped and started through each pregnancy as well but about 18 months ago just stopped - this time he used nothing - no gum, no patches etc. It was much more successful for him and he hasn't touched them since. He was turning 40 around that time and I think that was a huge motivating factor although he never said.

magimedi Thu 31-Jan-13 09:30:10

After 40 years of smoking (& many failed quitting attempts) I have given up with ecigs.

The strangest thing is that I really, really loathe the smell of cigarettes now & other times when I quit I still loved the smell!!

Worra (& anyone else) how easy was it to quit the eCig? Did you drop nicotine strengths or just go cold turkey?

gordyslovesheep Thu 31-Jan-13 09:35:12

I loved smoking but my friend died of cancer (not smoking related) aged 34 leaving her children behind I asked my self why I would knowingly risk doing the same

I took champix - I stopped 3 years ago and haven't even wanted one since - the thought makes me sick

WorraLiberty Thu 31-Jan-13 09:38:37

magimedi, oddly enough I did neither.

I just kind of found myself using it less and less, especially as I was strict with myself and made sure I still went outside to use it...so no chance of just idly puffing on it when MNetting or anything.

It kind of became like a dose of medicine in the end because the whole smoking element had been taken away...and as long as I knew it was in my bag, I eventually felt as though I just didn't need it.

I think I finally quit it in the end because I kept forgetting to charge the battery.

magimedi Thu 31-Jan-13 09:49:30

thanks Worra

Am ashamed to say that I have not been as good as you & have enjoyed being able to smoke inside!! Will have to go back to outside the back door again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now