Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that a large percentage of couples break up?

(57 Posts)
Lostaway Tue 29-Jan-13 00:33:27

Sorry to be a downer.

I was having a stalk look on Facebook. A girl I met when I worked abroad three months, lovely girl had been with her boyfriend three years. She had even moved to Australia to live with him, he was then flying over to France to see her. Has now put on Facebook that she's single.

One of my exs left me for another girl. On paper they sounded perfect together - same age, same friends, same career and even from the same city and yet they broke up 8 months later (I am a little smug about that though.)

A couple I know had a baby together, been together a year before that too. Got married when he was 2 and a month later they'd broken up.

Obviously not all relationships fail, and some do and after some time you get back together but it just seems like a large percentage of couples really don't make it.

Porkster Wed 30-Jan-13 00:31:35

I can only think of 2 couples in our group of friends (about 25 couples) that have split.

The rest have all been together, almost all of us married, for about 15 years.

"You're right, but I think it's gone too far the other way."

Seriously? Have you ever split with a long term partner or ended a marriage? It's hardly the easy option! The easy option is to just muddle along with your head in the sand, going through the same things day in day out. Divorce/separation is hard.

TotallyBS Wed 30-Jan-13 00:32:05

In my circle (relatives, work mates, fellow school parents, personal mates) I would say that 90% have never been divorced.

They probably aren't in better relations than your divorced mates. It's just that in the circles that I move in people are expected to stay married unliess infidelity is involved. Being bored with each other is not an excuse for divorce smile

Booyhoo Wed 30-Jan-13 00:33:31

harriet if they are breaking up over just a row then they aren't in a serious relationship so what is lost?

Booyhoo Wed 30-Jan-13 00:35:12

those quoting 15+ years. were there no relationships before that one?

Booyhoo Wed 30-Jan-13 00:36:13

because never divorcing isn't the same as never breaking up which is what the OP was talking about.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 30-Jan-13 00:39:47

DH was my first proper relationship boo but we were best friends for a few years before it became a relationship and was very much on and off for few months!

when it was on it was on though. and has been now for......think we got together when i was 17 and now im 40, 41 next month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now