TheRevengeOfMrGrumpy Mon 28-Jan-13 23:23:17

Sunday lunch for example:

Lift plate1, peas, carrots spuds, meat etc
Lift plate2, peas, carrots spuds, meat etc

Takes ages.

When I do it (majority of time):

Lift carrots - plate 1, plate 2, plate 3, plate 4, plate 5
Lift peas - plate 1, plate 2, plate 3, plate 4, plate 5

Seems much much faster and food is hotter when it arrives on table.

Monty27 Thu 31-Jan-13 00:42:38

Put a (warm) ramekin dish on the (warm) dinner plate with the peas in it. With their own seperate teaspoon. A la gastro pish pubs.

smile

EugenesAxe Wed 30-Jan-13 06:08:36

'..serve themselves a plate of peas, or hog all the pig's trotters...'

Reference my 'promotes understanding of the needs of others' point. You can give them anything they don't take themselves - we always had to have one Brussels sprout, and now we all like them!

Bupcakes - sadly no. It was in reference to my MN name. Makes me think of Grease personally... and 'Careful With That Axe Eugene' of course.

nickelbabe Tue 29-Jan-13 15:42:39

oooh, yes, good idea about the stop watch - then you can have a "plate-off" where you both get to serve dinner your way (with no speeding up deliberately for the timer!), and prove which is fastest.

Nagoo Tue 29-Jan-13 15:34:29

Sub-optimal indeed.

She should lob ladlefuls at you direct from the pan.

You do have a serving hatch?

nickelbabe Tue 29-Jan-13 15:23:11

please tell her she really doesn't need to cut up food for the toddler

DD is 13 mo and we only cut up food into her shape for about 2 months (and then they were bigger so she could hold and eat the same piece f food)

nickelbabe Tue 29-Jan-13 15:20:33

totally YANBU.

my family way of doing it is to put everything into tureens and let everyone serve themselves at the table.
means no one has to be in charge of the boring bit.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 29-Jan-13 15:06:01

do none of you people have microwaves? If it has gone cold mid serve then simply warm it up. Voila

HazleNutt Tue 29-Jan-13 15:02:21

But so what if the kids eat only peas if you use serving dishes? I for example hate carrots, would be just a waste if someone plated a load of them out for me.

HeathRobinson Tue 29-Jan-13 15:00:54

Yes, indeed. grin

Monty27 Tue 29-Jan-13 14:59:31

Greeney wink

Pigsmummy Tue 29-Jan-13 14:56:46

I am hungy now OP! Damn you (BU you are right about dishing up dinner).

ProphetOfDoom Tue 29-Jan-13 14:52:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UC Tue 29-Jan-13 14:50:25

Oh, and as for serving dishes - that way, everyone serves themselves, but YOU might lose a bit of control. Maybe you wouldn't like that? wink

UC Tue 29-Jan-13 14:48:46

I agree totally with MrsHoarder. If I was your DW, and you kept telling me "better ways" to do things (i.e. your ways), I would eventually crack and chuck the dinner at you. Then you could eat it off the floor. Sorry, but I just can't hack being constantly criticised and nitpicked - and it sounds like that's what you're doing to your DW.

So YABU.

ethelb Tue 29-Jan-13 14:44:35

YANBU

MrsHoarder Tue 29-Jan-13 14:41:53

There is an operational research joke about a professor going home and watching his wife rush about in the evening, doing all the jobs. He sits and makes notes, and assuming he is working she leaves him to it.

After about a week, he presents her with an optimal way to do all the chores, telling her she will be 10% faster if she does it his way. She throws the notebook at him and tells him to f***ing do it yourself.

Somehow you reminded me of that.

fascicle Tue 29-Jan-13 13:11:11

TheRevengeofMrGrumpy: Seems much much faster and food is hotter when it arrives on table.

Seems? You have a theory, but no proof! May I suggest a stopwatch, a thermometer and an independent adjudicator. It could be that you are watching your wife in slow motion, whilst speeding up your own performance.

TomDudgeon Tue 29-Jan-13 11:45:59

I'm with your method too
But only because it's the more logical way.

Dh always whines as I don't put everything used next to the sink as I dish up and just leave it on the side.
I refuse to do it his way because when it comes down to it, it's me who loads the dishwasher after dinner and having it all next to or in the sink isn't in the slightest bit easier. So I'm not going to waste my energy before hand.

TheRevengeOfMrGrumpy Tue 29-Jan-13 11:05:15

Pandemoniaa - maybe, though I tend not to let little things like that bother me....grin

Looking at the responses here, I cannot see any YABU comments, so I shall be pressing ahead with my 2013 Dishing Dinner Campaign.

I could have had another AIBU about how she fills the dishwasher, but I'm glad to say that she has finally come round to my way to doing this.

Pandemoniaa Tue 29-Jan-13 10:57:34

Or even sub-optimal?

<hoist on own pedantic petard>

Pandemoniaa Tue 29-Jan-13 10:55:34

Shouldn't that be suboptimal?

HTH

YorkshireDeb Tue 29-Jan-13 10:45:49

Ha ha! Congratulations on a very entertaining thread mr grumpy chances are though, regardless of whether you're right or she's right she's unlikely to change. And not necessarily because she's being pig headed. My do is always telling me 'better' ways of doing things, but I've been doing it my way for 34 years & it's just too hard to change. Maybe you could switch jobs for a bit? She could lay the table & get the kids ready while you serve up? X

TheRevengeOfMrGrumpy Tue 29-Jan-13 10:26:59

"Put it in serving dishes"

Bonkers! grin Reasons why not: creates more washing up, more things that need heating up, kids will just serve themselves a plate of peas, or hog all the pigs trotters etc. That's the way of madness.

Sharksandfishes Tue 29-Jan-13 09:52:53

Kurri grin I used to walk around Cheshire Oaks in an anti-clockwise direction, drove DH crazy!

MrGrumpy - you are amusing me but you are wrong grin

PessaryPam Tue 29-Jan-13 09:47:08

This would bring out the frustrated time and motions man in me too. I think that lazy people can be the most efficient when they do work, sound slike you are lazier than your DW grin I know I am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now