AIBU to think thankyou letters should just say nice things and thankyou?

(40 Posts)
BorderBinLiner Mon 28-Jan-13 12:02:24

DH sent his nieces (aged 6 & 4) for Christmas a boxset of Moomin books and some cute little metal Moomin tins of sweets he'd brought back from Hong Kong.

We got this letter back:
To DD1 + DD2
thankyou For the sweets and the moomine books I cant read them they are too tricky but we licked them. we did not licke the sweets.
love from niece1 and niece 2

AIBU to think thankyou letters should just say nice things and thankyou?
[Background: SIL is rather passive/aggressive/critical at family events so we sense that she will have encouraged being honest about not the correct reading level and 'liking'/'not liking' the present]

OhTheConfusion Mon 28-Jan-13 12:51:10

Both responses are fab!

BorderBinLiner Mon 28-Jan-13 12:52:14

DonkeysDontRideBicycles word processed, round-robin, boast-battle thank you letters - what is the world coming to.

<clutches pearls, snorts strong smelling salts.>

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 28-Jan-13 12:54:34

Startail Mon 28-Jan-13 12:57:54

I always wanted to send my grandmother.

"Thank you for the hideous clothes, please send money instead next time."

Instead my DM got lumbered with dropping anvil sized hints.

MardyArsedMidlander Mon 28-Jan-13 13:33:16

Ungrateful little so and sos! ( bloody love the Moomins)

You could also add 'Sorry about the books- it's just that our own DC loved them at that age- but I forget that not all children are at that level....'

PostBellumBugsy Mon 28-Jan-13 13:40:46

Amazed they can spell tricky!!!! Not an easy word for a 6 year old, particularly given the other spelling mistakes. Suspect there was alot of parental input into that note & therefore, it is rude!

Don't be so sure, Bugsy. My 4yo has just discovered writing, and will sometimes randomly shout "how do you spell pterodactyl" while I'm stirring the tea grin

aldiwhore Mon 28-Jan-13 14:38:00

So rude... even if it is 'a child's honesty' it wouldn't have got out of our house.

Thank you is thank you, whether you liked/licked the gift is irrelevent.

BeaLola Mon 28-Jan-13 14:44:00

Brownie points that you received a thank you letter - it made me laugh. Suspect that your SIL had input as "tricky" point doesn't ring true. Maybe they were worried that you may buy them the sweets every year!

My dear Goddaughter is 16 & I have have sent 16 years of birthday & christmas gifts through posts & can count on one hand the number of thank you's I have had verbally or written !

Pandemoniaa Mon 28-Jan-13 14:45:27

YANBU. It was a thank you letter, not a review. Brutal honesty needs to take second place to courtesy in this instance.

BarbarianMum Mon 28-Jan-13 14:45:34

Well I wouldn't have let my two send it OP, but I think its funny and rather sweet.

My 4 and 7 year olds had a great lesson in tact this year when thanking a childless friend on mine for the 'War of the Worlds' DVD she sent them hmm. Was very tempted to go with 'Thank you for the DVD. I'm sure we will like it in 6-8 years time when mummy will let us watch it' but I didn't.

TomArchersSausage Mon 28-Jan-13 14:46:54

Lol this is quite funny thoughgrin.

Yes it's terribly rude...but they did at least send a letter.

You could always reply that they they've licked the wrong bit of the present.

Chandon Mon 28-Jan-13 14:48:00

I think OP has sense of humour failure, come on, it is a funny note and brutaly honest, as kids are.

Sending a prissy lttle note back is just so....prissy

ethelb Mon 28-Jan-13 14:51:58

If the parent's were involved it's rude.

However, I just thought the letter was really funny and can see the children being mortified about this when older.

I remember my sister being given a fleece blanket aged 5 and shouting very loudly "why on earth did you think I would like that?!" grin

MamaMumra Mon 28-Jan-13 15:11:01

I agree with Chandon

Even if there was parental involvement, SIL my not have been deliberately rude. Does your DH think the note was rude?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now