to ask if its really possible to get your career back on track after having a baby

(27 Posts)
quesadilla Mon 28-Jan-13 10:12:26

Feeling really despondent about my job: my work has nosedived after having DD (2). I went back to work full time relatively early (9 months) -- not out of choice but because I'm the main breadwinner. I am lucky in as much as I still have my job, still being reasonably well paid but its the usual story: feel totally sidelined and irrelevant to the company; feel that people think I'm taking the p* because I work from home one day (and I don't think I am but if I'm honest I'm no longer as driven as I was before, simply because I don't have enough hours in the day); have been looking for other jobs with no success whatsoever and my self-esteem has gone right down -- I feel totally unemployable and at some point that I'm going to be made redundant. Am totally at my wits end. I want some honest advice from other in a similar situation: if you aren't wealthy enough to afford a nanny is it really possible to get your working life back to some semblance of the quality it was before? or do you just have to accept that you're not going to progress as fast as if you didn't have kids?

badbride Mon 28-Jan-13 16:19:36

Oops--sorry forgot to add: once you have your objectives, you can break each objective down into steps you can storm through in the course of a working day.

This will give you the confidence to to stop work at 5, safe in the knowledge that everything is under control and that you have done all you need to do that day. So no more shuffling apologetically out of the office past the sidelong glances of disapproving colleagues. You've got the job done, done it well, and they are just a bunch of inefficient tossers. Bugger 'em! Swan past with you head held high smile

With apologies for all the typos: I can spell, I just can't type

FantasticDay Mon 28-Jan-13 16:30:51

I have, but I do work for the civil service who offer a number of flexible working patterns ( I work 0.9 FTE). I had my first child while I was working in private sector consultancy, and there were dispiriting e-mails going round congratulating people for coming into the office weekends etc. - when at least two of us with small kids were putting together - successful - bids at home at two in the morning. I think badbride offers excellent advice for ensuring that your contribution is recognised (esp about SMART objectives). (Btw, if you have a work Blackberry, you might want to send a couple of e-mails out of hours, just to show you aren't swanning off. Would it be possible to speak to US colleagues via Skype/telecon from home when kids are in bed (as long as it is not every night)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now