Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that someone with a hoover flex stretched taught across a pavement at 6 inches about ground level is in the wrong?

(50 Posts)
gazzalw Mon 28-Jan-13 10:12:11

DW and DD walking to school this morning and some man hoovering his car but from the farside rather than nearside. DW of course looking for a slack flex on the pavement but DD nearly went flying because it was actually stretched taught like a booby trap six inches off the ground. DW told the man that it was dangerous and was met with a tirade of abuse about looking where one was going....

Just think it's thoughtless and as it was commuting/school run time entirely out of order...

PessaryPam Tue 29-Jan-13 10:34:36

Don't be, we all do it.

gazzalw Tue 29-Jan-13 07:55:24

Hi everyone. I am very bemused by the turn that this thread has taken.

Can I just point that I was having a not-so-senior moments day yesterday which is why I made the spelling mistake in the first place. I touch-type and sometimes when you do, your brain runs away with the keyboard without actively engaging and then you do make typos.

No worries and thanks to those who defended me...I am actually quite pedantic about such things myself although my bugbear is less about spelling and more about grammatical errors - so maybe it's a case of hubris....

Anyway, it's making me cringe now seeing the thread with a semi-incoherent title blush.

amicissimma Mon 28-Jan-13 21:37:05

I don't find it rude or patronising when people politely correct mistakes, and I am very grateful to the many posters who have educated me by doing so over the years.

OP, I do think booby-trapping the pavement is unreasonable, specially without an apology if someone trips on it.

KellyElly Mon 28-Jan-13 20:45:24

I was just calling a spade a spade Cote. If the shoe fits and all that. That's MY opinion. You seem very adamant that you are entitled to yours so I can surely have mine. Whether you agree with or not or find it rude is up to you. Personally I find derailing a thread to comment on grammar quite rude and extremely patronising as well.

Evangelinadreamer Mon 28-Jan-13 17:19:19

You are patronising though Cote. Or at least you appear that way on this thread!

CoteDAzur Mon 28-Jan-13 16:52:52

Yes, and you would find that they are significantly more in number than the few you can find who will think you are not rude to come into a thread and call people "wankers". HTH.

KellyElly Mon 28-Jan-13 16:44:54

Yes Cote, as I'm sure there are people out there who don't find you tediously patronising smile

CoteDAzur Mon 28-Jan-13 16:36:59

Maybe you could read some of Evangelina's books on etiquette and see if it is rude to call people "wankers". Just a thought.

To each their own, though. I am sure there are people out there who don't find you rude smile

Nagoo Mon 28-Jan-13 16:31:19

grin I love mumsnet.

YANBU OP. Hope your DD was ok smile

KellyElly Mon 28-Jan-13 16:23:40

Or perhaps some of you are just wankers...just a thought.

PessaryPam Mon 28-Jan-13 16:05:49

This is not the street, this is a written forum and some of us have standards.

Evangelinadreamer Mon 28-Jan-13 15:06:46

That's different PessaryPam. what a ridiculous thing to say! Teachers are there to teach. Random strangers in the street are not.

PessaryPam Mon 28-Jan-13 15:03:20

You must have loved school Evangaline. All those know-it-alls telling you things and correcting your work.

Evangelinadreamer Mon 28-Jan-13 14:44:16

It's not polite though however you dress it up. If someone had little confidence and felt rubbish about themselves, the last thing they would want is some know-it-all correcting how they pronounced a word. It's unnecessary. And rude.

PessaryPam Mon 28-Jan-13 14:37:17

I think it is OK to politely correct spelling and grammar errors. How else can people improve their communications skills in English if we don't?

Keep on pedanting Cote grin

And the OP should have 'accidentally' walked into the flex and pulled it out of the wall.

Evangelinadreamer Mon 28-Jan-13 14:34:26

I think if you were to read etiquette books and research good manners, you will see that it is throughly bad manners to correct people on minor speech or grammatical errors. You may think you are great and that you know everything, but I guarantee people will be eye rolling behind your back and avoiding you because they find you rude and a know it all.

CoteDAzur Mon 28-Jan-13 14:29:31

It doesn't matter how many people agree with your opinion. It is still an opinion.

Evangelinadreamer Mon 28-Jan-13 12:54:12

I think lots would find it rude tbh

dontlaugh Mon 28-Jan-13 12:51:50

....in your opinion it was rude, Evangelina. Opinions are not facts.

Evangelinadreamer Mon 28-Jan-13 12:46:15

It wasn't a reasonable post, dontlaugh. It was rude. No need to correct spelling mistakes. It's rude. It's condescending.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Mon 28-Jan-13 12:22:26

It's only a good idea to correct someone's spelling/grammar if it's a thread about spelling/grammar.
Or if they have blatantly brought it on themselves. (eg ranting about 'imigrents what cant spek englsh')

And if you encourage everyone who makes a spelling mistake in their thread title to go back and have it changed, MNHQ may well hunt you down and kill you grin

YANBU about the hoover lead though!

dontlaugh Mon 28-Jan-13 12:21:41

It's "pedantic", not pendantic. It's not rude to politely observe an obvious mistake. It's most rude to derail a thread by attacking a reasonable post and not agreeing to disagree.
OP, yanbu. A taut flex deserves a strong word with the owner, the knob.

gazzalw Mon 28-Jan-13 12:13:46

My error was not to use spell-check. I am usually very good with spellings and grammar but arrogance obviously got the better of me this morning...

I do agree, Evangelinadreamer, that I am sure most people do make spelling faux-pas, particularly on such threads, as the rate of thought/comment is fast and furious and doesn't exactly lend itself to thorough proof-reading!

Hey ho....

Evangelinadreamer Mon 28-Jan-13 11:48:39

It's still pendantic to correct someone's very minor spelling mistake of one word, on a public forum. In my opinion.

You sound very cock sure of yourself Cote. I'm sure doctors and teachers find you an utter delight to deal with.

gazzalw Mon 28-Jan-13 11:47:56

Yes, I am, Nixea!

Perhaps AIBU threads should really be in Pedants' Corner? grin

May not feel vindicated about my unfortunate spelling error but at least I feel that I got support about the original AIBU...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now