to wonder how 'working age' people are supposed to keep finding more and more extra money?

(100 Posts)
littlemisssarcastic Sun 27-Jan-13 22:16:25

Changes to council tax benefit take effect on April 1st 2013.

I'm convinced there are many people who receive council tax benefit, who are not aware of all of the changes coming in.

My eyes have been opened since I checked my local council's website.

I understand different councils are going to tackle this in different ways.

My council have decided amongst other things that;

Working age claimants will have to pay a minimum of 20% of their council tax, regardless of their income.
Just £10 will be disregarded from income from child maintenance rather than the current 100%.
Claims will be backdated for one month only from the date your council tax bill is issued
No Second Adult Rebate
There will be an increase in the non dependent deductions

They have also decided that "You are not a "pensioner" if you have a partner that gets Income Support, Employment and Support allowance or income-based Jobseekers Allowance."
Other than that, pensioners are exempt from any change to the amount of benefit they receive, ie: pensioners will continue to get 100% of their council tax paid if it would have been paid in full under 'council tax benefit' rules IYSWIM.

That is my councils changes.

Darkesteyes Mon 28-Jan-13 23:10:14

Christ this is all going to be one big unholy mess. I havent even had a letter about this from my local council and checking their website they dont make it clear which is probably deliberate.

CaptainNancy Mon 28-Jan-13 23:13:03

Darkest- I think most councils haven't actually decided the details yet- their budgets haven't been set finally for the next financial year.
Ours just had a 'consultation' and are making announcements presently...

AudrinaAdare Mon 28-Jan-13 23:17:24

Our council have decreed that only working people, not just people of working age, will bear the brunt.

Most people who are working in my town are on very low wages. It will be extremely divisive.

ihearsounds Mon 28-Jan-13 23:31:20

It wont be like wtc, because hb wants a change a circumstance to be notified immediately, whereas wtc you have a couple of grand buffer. With hb, I do overtime this month, which brings in extra wage, I have to notify hb, if I don't I face them screwing me financially. Doesn't matter actually if its wages or increase of wtc, it's a change of circumstance. Doesn't matter if next month my hours drop a lot and at the end of the tax year my wages balances out to make up for the extra this month.

It's also a loose/loose for rp's with 50/50 care. It's a loose/loose situation for a lot of people. The only way for things to change very quickly is for the person who thought of this fucking (sorry for swearing) ridiculous fucked up idea to sober up/get to rehab/have a lobotomy/add as appropriate.. And this is just for the council tax changes, never mind all the other changes that are coming in to basically screw people who cannot afford someone to manipulate their finances.

Darkesteyes Mon 28-Jan-13 23:35:51

With us i am of working age but DH is over 60 so fuck knows how they are going to decide with us because we dont fit into one neat little box.

Darkesteyes Mon 28-Jan-13 23:38:42

@Audrina as long as they know to direct their resentment where it belongs, at the people who thought up this ridiculous scheme not at the people on the rung of the ladder just below them.

AudrinaAdare Mon 28-Jan-13 23:44:27

Darkest yes, seems to me that individual councils are coming up with whatever suits their own demographic and that it is ideologically driven.

DH is self-employed (until put on Workfare for having the temerity to not earn enough in a recession) and I am a carer so we are both of working age. God knows how they are going to work it out for couples. Presumably you pay even if just one of you is under 65...

AudrinaAdare Mon 28-Jan-13 23:49:19

Sorry, misread. I doubt that would happen although it would be nice. I remember Dave posing with Asda workers and slating scroungers even though the strivers needed tax credits and childcare help in order to live. They have been coming for the low-paid for a while but measures like this will mean they will fail to place the blame where it should be sad

P.S Whatever happened to Frothers? I was active on the threads last year and we got a few things done IIRC.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 29-Jan-13 00:52:57

I hear,

The spare room charges are not applicable to those who do not recive HB so people who pay there own full rent will be exempt from it.

Sorry to jump in with that on a thread about CT

JakeBullet Tue 29-Jan-13 07:28:52

For others needs restarting I think.....this scummy crowd in Govt care about nobody but their rich chums. They certainly don't give a stuff about you or me. As for that "Call me Dave" photo where he is posing in a "caring and understanding" manner with his disabled son...it makes me want to vomit. He cares not a hot for the families with disabled children in this country who will lose the services he was able to rely on. Hate the bastard.

Salbertina Tue 29-Jan-13 07:51:43

I disagree that he cares not a jot. Yes he is rich and privileged but this does not mean he cannot have a conscience or care. I have met the man several times and he seems warm and empathic. He's always been a v popular constituency MP. just to add, i didn't and wouldn't vote for him as I'm not a Tory. But I do respect him. Any PM now wd have tough calls to make- ever growing and competing demands on a limited budget. Something has to give.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 29-Jan-13 07:57:55

Many services for disabled children are paid for out of council tax. Isn't it quite contradictory to say that people shouldn't have to pay council tax at the same time as it is apparent that services are struggling so much.

If we want good services for society, they have to be paid for by society. That means everyone.

JakeBullet Tue 29-Jan-13 08:11:17

I agree with that but we also have to balance this with ability to pay. I gind it abhorrent that the poorest in society still pay a substantially higher percentage of their income for these services than those who are rich.
This whole issue has been badly thought out. Every council seems to be doing something different. Oir council is asking for a minimum of 15% contribution. ...fair enough. Its means tested but nowhere is there any indication of what is included/excluded for these purposes. So will I face a higher rate as I get Carers Allowance? Are they including child payments from absent parents which the primary parent might or might not get? Fact is even they dont know.

And Dave is a politician through and through. ...you see what he wants you to see face to face. I wouldnt trust many politicians any further than I could throw them. Bunch of self serving bastards most of em....no matter what their political persuasionangry .

Ooh....bitter...me?blush

BeanJuice Tue 29-Jan-13 08:15:04

salbertina some people unfortunately have an inbuilt hatred for any politician who has been to private school and is conservative

CloudsAndTrees Tue 29-Jan-13 08:20:27

Council tax is based on the size of property you live in. If the rich live in bigger homes than the poor, then they will be paying more in council tax. I don't think percentage of income is as important as some on here think it is. the actual amount of money coming in is what matters when it comes to councils planning services.

Everyone should contribute, even if in real terms its not a lot.

I see the benefits of paying council tax every time I step out the front door. I really don't think this is a tax we should begrudge paying.

JakeBullet Tue 29-Jan-13 09:01:26

Essentially I agree with you clouds, I am currently a Carer but have only one child. It's a bill I will pay ...I will find the money somehow. My biggest worry is for those who will find it a real problem.....the people who might be faced with paying the bill or feeding their family. I know which side they will come down on....and the sums the councils need to recover are small enough that pursuing recovery is not going to be cost effective. All I can see is a real cut in services which many rely on.

JakeBullet Tue 29-Jan-13 09:02:44

Beanjuice I reserve my hatred for MOST politicians...,.I don't give a shit where they went to school.....just saying.hmm

theplodder Tue 29-Jan-13 09:02:48

Get used to this sort of thing, people are going to have to learn to stand on their own two feet. The welfare state is unaffordable and is being cut back , and not before time.

JakeBullet Tue 29-Jan-13 09:05:43

Great....I'll be sure to inform my autistic son of that shall I hmm?

cantspel Tue 29-Jan-13 09:07:17

Council tax is not just on the size of the property but also by area as each council sets their own council tax rates and each area gets a different subsidy from the government. i live in west sussex. Our government subsidy is the lowest in the country so our rates are high but west sussex is not an overly rich area. Yes we have affluent areas but we also have our fair share of working poor.

sashh Tue 29-Jan-13 14:07:08

The spare room charges are not applicable to those who do not recive HB so people who pay there own full rent will be exempt from it.

But those of us who get partial HB will have to pay up.

Council tax is based on the size of property you live in. If the rich live in bigger homes than the poor, then they will be paying more in council tax.

No it's not, it's based on the value of your property in 198something.

Rates were paid on property size.

I went from having a £120 rates bill to a poll tax of £2000, my income was about £4000.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 29-Jan-13 14:24:43

Sashh

That's exactly why I said only those who recive HB are applicable for the new room rules in response to a pp who stated that even those who pay full rent will have an additional room charge added to the rent.

Its a shite rule and I disagree compleatly with how its being done but scaremongering is not warrented.

holidaysarenice Tue 29-Jan-13 16:26:38

Do the new council tax rules also affect Scotland?

littlemisssarcastic Tue 29-Jan-13 17:38:13
CloudsAndTrees Tue 29-Jan-13 17:57:37

I don't know if other councils do things differently, but ours charges council tax based on the size of the property when you moved into it. They told me that when I asked for a reevaluation after finding out that the people on the other side of the semi we live in were paying less than us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now