ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

to wonder how 'working age' people are supposed to keep finding more and more extra money?

(100 Posts)
littlemisssarcastic Sun 27-Jan-13 22:16:25

Changes to council tax benefit take effect on April 1st 2013.

I'm convinced there are many people who receive council tax benefit, who are not aware of all of the changes coming in.

My eyes have been opened since I checked my local council's website.

I understand different councils are going to tackle this in different ways.

My council have decided amongst other things that;

Working age claimants will have to pay a minimum of 20% of their council tax, regardless of their income.
Just £10 will be disregarded from income from child maintenance rather than the current 100%.
Claims will be backdated for one month only from the date your council tax bill is issued
No Second Adult Rebate
There will be an increase in the non dependent deductions

They have also decided that "You are not a "pensioner" if you have a partner that gets Income Support, Employment and Support allowance or income-based Jobseekers Allowance."
Other than that, pensioners are exempt from any change to the amount of benefit they receive, ie: pensioners will continue to get 100% of their council tax paid if it would have been paid in full under 'council tax benefit' rules IYSWIM.

That is my councils changes.

kilmuir Mon 28-Jan-13 16:51:50

sounds fair to me. not a huge percentage. I would rather tham put it up for those who have to pay the full amount

thekidsrule Mon 28-Jan-13 16:58:01

it's not fair when a single person will have to pay a fair wack out of their benefit

example single male

ct contribution

hb top up and rates are slashed again in april

only recieves £71 a week how would that person survive

disclaimer,this is not me im talking about,but i dont think it's fair

CheeseStrawWars Mon 28-Jan-13 16:58:35

Only 56% of 17-24 year olds are registered to vote. They think they can scrap benefits for under 25s without fear of voting comeback.

Only around 15% of over 45s don't vote. So OAPs are likely to punish you in elections. Stats

littlemisssarcastic Mon 28-Jan-13 17:00:19

aufaniae "Some councils are doing away with the exemption for council tax for students. "

Does this mean that students, who were previously exempt from paying council tax will now have to pay?
What will happen to the students who live away from home and attend uni? Perhaps they share with a few other students near their uni, what will change for them?
How will this affect parents whose DC are studying?
What will they class as a students income? Their grant?

CheeseStrawWars Mon 28-Jan-13 17:05:07

The "They" in my second sentence = Government. Sorry for lack of clarity.

littlemisssarcastic Mon 28-Jan-13 17:09:21

thekidsrule I agree.

I have mentioned my friend on another thread wrt the HB reduction or bedroom tax. This council tax change will be another nail in the coffin for her.

She is unemployed atm, living on £71 a week. She is subject to the bedroom tax which will cost her £16 a week. She will also be subject to the new council tax changes which will cost her at least £6 a week, based on last years council tax, which will probably increase this year.

She has to take a bus to sign on once a fortnight at a cost of £7.

She will be left with £45.50 a week to support herself. She has no other income.

How can anyone support themselves consistently if they only have £45.50 a week for food, bills? Seriously?

thekidsrule Mon 28-Jan-13 17:10:57

the worst of this is we will all moan,worry shake are heads but blithly sit by and let this happen

i really do hope that all these cuts etc will not be taken lying down but i fear they will

bad times for many in all circumstances

NicholasTeakozy Mon 28-Jan-13 17:12:08

The people who brought these measures in are having their second houses paid for by us. That includes their Council Tax and mortgage payments. It's disgusting that these well paid, massively expensed, entitled twats are condemning those who are already struggling to penury.

What they know is their 'cuts' are going to end up costing more.

thekidsrule Mon 28-Jan-13 17:12:55

op what a bad situation for your friend and many like her

im getting so angry about this and fear many have no idea what's coming

Rather worrying, kidsrulesad
It's bad enough with ctc to help but i can't imagine how awful childless people's lifes are going to be now they are bringing in these changes.

£71 a week only just covers food and a bit if a utility bill, sad

I'm guessing these lot will be voted out come 2015, i for one cannot wait.
I know they need to make cut-backs but its coming too quick, too much & too fast for some of us.
It's rather worrying what some people wish on others, less fortunate than themselves.

We are going back to the arc, and it's already starting. People don't ask to be on mw or unemployed.

thekidsrule Mon 28-Jan-13 17:15:42

totally agree pump

have to dash but will be on later and intrested on the catch up of this thread

When you look at the figure for single people, can you honestly say you are surprised that an unemployed person might choose to have a baby?

Not saying its right. But really, how can they live?

BeanJuice Mon 28-Jan-13 17:22:29

littlemisssarcastic I suppose the idea is that being short of money can be an incentive to get a job

aufaniae Mon 28-Jan-13 17:27:30

"Does this mean that students, who were previously exempt from paying council tax will now have to pay?"

In some areas, yes.

"What will happen to the students who live away from home and attend uni?"

They will need to pay council tax, if their local council requires it under the new rules.

"How will this affect parents whose DC are studying?"

They will need to fork out to cover council tax for their DCs as well as other living expenses, if they're unlucky enough to be in an area where students are losing their exemption.

"What will they class as a students income? Their grant?"

I haven't heard about councils taking student income into consideration in this.

Yes, because you can just click your fingers and get a job that easily. Espcially when most jobs at the moment receive on average two hundred applications.

Salbertina Mon 28-Jan-13 17:35:54

Agree, op. its cynical political move - daren't tax the relatively rich pensioners due to their much greater propensity to vote. My parents get several pensions, free travel and winter fuel allowance.. And have three housesangry they're also tight so-and-sos to their struggling families

aufaniae Mon 28-Jan-13 17:45:38

I just hope people wake up and smell the bacon before the next election.

I dread to think what state the country will be in after two terms of this kind of wholesale destruction sad

MoodyDidIt Mon 28-Jan-13 17:51:41

yanbu

but i should really stop reading these kind of threads. cos they make me angry and depressed and theres FUCK all i can do about it

littlemisssarcastic Mon 28-Jan-13 17:52:14

I hope a lot more people choose to vote at the next general election. The statistics for people under 45 voting is quite poor, and under 25's is diabolical.

LouMae Mon 28-Jan-13 18:00:46

I actually do think the super rich should pay more, but I also think that everyone should be expected to contribute, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Benefits were originally intended to provide a short term safety net but have grown into a massive behemoth, and you have people who over the course of their lifetime will take constantly from the state and contribute nothing back at all. We all of us have a duty as citizens to keep the essential services functioning.

BeanJuice Mon 28-Jan-13 18:03:18

Maggie I'm aware of that - just pointing out that that's why it's like that

Salbertina Mon 28-Jan-13 18:29:33

Lm - agree we will have a duty, benefits not a right etc etc. Absolutely!!

However,for sentimental reasons in the case of the media and blatant electioneering in the Gov.'s case, pensioners seem to be the one group exempted!! Few if any of them alive now fought in any blooming war, they benefitted more than any other generation before or since from house price rises and a generous welfare state.

We and our kids meanwhile are faced with negative equity, university fees and a ridiculous struggle to afford property and yet were the ones squeezed the most.

Mandy2003 Mon 28-Jan-13 18:52:33

From my local council's published proposals to meet the CTB shortfall and find ways of extracting money from those who can least afford it is this phrase:

"Set a minimum income level for the selfemployed." (sic)

I cannot find out in any council info what this means. I am self employed but not yet earning enough to pay income tax. I'm certain this will affect me (although my income going up by £32 per week was enough to get 99% of my CTB taken away).

Does anyone know what they mean, and why they've thought it up?

aufaniae Mon 28-Jan-13 19:05:53

"theres FUCK all i can do about it"

Not true, luckily! We elected these people in (well not me personally and I doubt you did!) and we can elect them out.

We can encourage people to vote. We can campaign to get them out.
I'm not affiliated to any political party (usually vote the same way but not actually a member) but I will do what I can to campaign against the Tories at the next election.

They've got to go!

Salbertina Mon 28-Jan-13 19:11:54

Sadly i feel similar cuts would have to
happen whoever was in power and no party has the guts to include pensioners in the mix

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now