to ask is anyone else dead skinny but with a fat belly?

(60 Posts)
MoodyDidIt Sun 27-Jan-13 16:55:34

i swear sometimes i look 6 months pregnant sad

today is one of those days <sigh>

am just over 8 stone and 5 foot 2 so clearly not overweight. BMI is only about 21/22 i think. and got skinny arms and skinny legs but a right pot belly. i eat a good diet - eat less than about 1600 calories every day but then have one day at the weekend when i let it go a bit. AND, and i do sit ups and push ups regularly but i feel like not fecking bothering for all the good it does sad

its not like i have a baby, youngest dc is 3 ffs blush

am ttc dc3 atm and i dread to think if am successfull what the state of it will be like after.

is anyone else like me? and is there anything i can do?? other than be 10 years younger and never have had dc help me

IvorWindybottom Sun 27-Jan-13 20:37:04

I am but I put it down to beer, cheese and pies
I like my grub me I do

PiratePetesPotty Sun 27-Jan-13 20:52:33

I have the opposite problem, my stomach is flat whatever my weight is, after each pregnancy it was flat again after 2 weeks BUT I have back fat even when slim, my bmi is 20 and I have back fat. It's just body shape I suppose, I gain weight on my boobs, back and upper arms more than my stomach or hips. At a BMI of 18-20 I'm an hourglass shape, 20 or over and I become increasingly more parsnip shaped.

VitoCorleone Sun 27-Jan-13 21:00:12

Im 5'2" and weigh 8 stone. I have a bit of a belly too, i always have but its worse after my 2nd baby.

When i got pregnant with him i was a tiny size 6 and weighed just under 7.5 stone. Then out of nowhere my bump became MASSIVE (people actually thought i was having twins) and out came this 8lb8oz baby (my 1st was only 6lb5oz) and now i have quite a bit of loose skin and my stomach muscles seperated really badly and i had to have physio.

I hate my little pot belly and loose skin.

I'm 5'6 and weigh 7 1/2 stone. You can see my ribs and hipbones but I've got a jelly belly - both of mine were c-sections, think its just a shitty side-effect.

caroljackson Sun 27-Jan-13 22:19:46

Do you have any menstrual issues OP? I am a similar height/weight and I look about 5 months pg - but I know this is because I have a fibroid which is quite large. I've had scans and it was the gynae who said my womb seemed like it was carrying a 5 month fetus! It also gives me very irregular/heavy periods, so I'm having it checked out soon.

I actually have very strong core muscles though, as I do a sport which requires a lot of core strength and I can do things which wouldn't be possible if I had weak abs!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 27-Jan-13 23:13:12

I'm just like you, OP. I'm 5' 1", just under 8 stone and size 8 but have a really bloated tummy. I look about 5 months gone and it's pretty obvious if I west something tight or clingy. DS is 6 so that's no excuse and my diet is decent (and getting better as I'm trying to improve it further). I poo regularly grin.

I'm sure it wasn't this bad when I was doing 30 day shred last summer so I'll have to get back into it.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 27-Jan-13 23:13:54

wear not west, ffs

lairyhegs Sun 27-Jan-13 23:16:05

I am size 6 - 8 and have been asked twice recently if I have second baby on way (did type 'asked if I had number two on the way, until I re-read it!).

I like to think of my belly as my food baby...

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 27-Jan-13 23:37:54

OP,might you have a food intolerance? I have a friend who is naturally slim but always has a bit of a tummy...however she is also intolerant to wheat which makes her stomach swell to the point of her looking 6 months pregnant.

MammytoM Mon 28-Jan-13 06:25:28

The vibration plates that some salons and gyms have are fab for toning up. I wouldn't say I'm skinny (size 10) but I had an emcs and along with healthy eating the machines really helped tone my belly. I've noticed a difference since I stopped using them sad. Looks fine when I'm standing up but when I sit down I seem to have a bit of a muffin top sad

foreverondiet Mon 28-Jan-13 07:11:55

I think you are eating proportionally quite a lot of carbs, try and move away from low fat higher carb model. I think if you eat more protein and fat (don't cut calories though) you should lose stomach fat.

I found hula hooping really helped my stomach muscles. I got a special exercise one (£15 from amazon), taught myself to hula (very chuffed I managed to learn) and then hulaed for half an hour each day (in front of the TV).

I also cut down on my carbs especially wheat based ones.

I've just had my fourth child and every midwife I saw always commented on how good my stomach muscle were (fourth child is 4 weeks old so not good at the moment).

MoodyDidIt Mon 28-Jan-13 10:36:18

wow i am so surprised how many of you suffer from this too

it makes me feel bad cos i am always dieting, and my friends are like, oh moody you don't NEED to, you are sooooo skinny. and i know i am, i just want to get rid of this bloody horrible belly. i dont know if i have any food intolerances, not that i know of, have never really thought about it.

but tbh i would rather be bigger, say, size 14 but have a flat tummy sad my friend is like this, big all over but with a flat tummy (she has had 3 kids) and she looks fab in everything she wears envy

and i am, erm, regular, so its not that. and my periods are OK, i doubt i have any fibroids as i have had 2 kids in last 6 years, surely they would have been spotted during scans etc?

and foreveronadiet ...thats interesting, could i ask you a massive favour, would you mind suggesting some better food options for me? as you seem to know your stuff.

topknob Mon 28-Jan-13 10:40:46

5ft 6 weigh 8st 10 have a belly confused probably due to too much wine as youngest child is almost 8 grin

mammmamia Mon 28-Jan-13 10:49:09

I have this problem - am 5'5" used to be a size 8 but now 10-12 due to my stomach. I have twins and my stomach really stretched, I was absolutely massive, went to full term and they were big babies and born by section.

They are almost 3 now though and I still look a bit pregnant... I found I put weight on once they started walking everywhere and I wasn't pushing the buggy. And I don't do any formal exercise which is part of the problem.

The rest of me is slim but I'm sad that I can't wear my old clothes due to my stomach. In fact I've given up wearing trousers completely as find them too uncomfortable and tight.

sherazade what sort of post natal exercises did you do?

atthewelles Mon 28-Jan-13 11:11:27

I have the same problem. Very thin but often get asked when I'm due sad.

I did have enormous fibroids and had to have a hysterectomy last year but I still have a tummy out of proportion to the rest of me.

CoteDAzur Mon 28-Jan-13 11:19:35

If you are already slim elsewhere, dieting is unlikely to help with your tummy situation.

I still had a huge tummy 6 months after the birth of DC2 and looked about 6 months pregnant. Physio at the hospital I gave birth in said my tummy muscles were shot and that I would probably have to have an operation.

I thought I would give exercise a chance first and started a serious training program where they started me running and also focused on core muscles. Within three months, my tummy was normal. I still don't have a flat tummy but nobody thinks I am pregnant anymore. And I still run smile

Just to give you an idea about how bad it was: When I first started running, not only was I terribly out of shape (couldn't run for 2 mins) but also had to stop because my tummy was hurting so much - like, how your breasts would hurt if you run without a bra! That was only for a short while, though, as tummy muscles strengthened in no time to stop the fat from wobbling around.

Do you know what your body fat % is? You could do 1000 sits ups and never see a six pack because of the fat that sits on top of the six pack. You need to burn the fat off.

CoteDAzur Mon 28-Jan-13 11:26:41

Actually, I was told by those physios I mentioned that the muscles to work on in a hanging tummy situation are not going to be helped much by sit ups. There are different type of exercises, but basically they are about completely exhaling out, pulling your tummy in as far as possible, and staying like that in that state of apnea for as long as possible. Do this in different positions: Lying on your back with your knees bent, down on all fours, etc.

firefly11 Mon 28-Jan-13 12:38:12

I have been underweight and petite all my life and when I had DD1, who was a big baby for my size, my tummy was totally misshapen and stretched beyond repair. I went on resistance training about 6 mths post natal and got my figure back, with muscles to boot, which was what I needed anyway because it made me look less underweight and fitter. Then 4 yrs later had DD2 and 2 yrs later, DS1, who was an unexpected pregnancy. I was run ragged by then, hardly had any time for exercise looking after these babies as I was also studying part time. My belly looked about 3 mths pregnant for all those years. I had some really off the cuff inconsiderate comments from other women about how large my tummy looked.But it spurred me onto getting back to exercise again. I have been doing resistance training again for the past year and my tummy is flat again - though its still massively wrinkly but I am not having surgery to fix that. My body is in better shape than it was before I had kids. Yes I do watch what I eat to a certain extent, I have to eat clean. But I don't mind a slice of cake a day, or chocolate! I don't calorie count though, but I do intermittent fasting along with resistance training and have had good results from it.

JeffFaFa Mon 28-Jan-13 12:43:37

In not dead skinny im a size 10, 5 foot 6 and 8 and a half stone. I put my tummy down to IBS and a love of carbs, if i clean eat for a few weeks and exercise like crazy it goes down a bit tho.

Frustratedartist Mon 28-Jan-13 13:25:34

I was going to say about food intolerance too. One of my DCs is wheat intolerant. He had a very distended abdomen as a young child
I've had irritable bowel & bloated abdomen ever since I can remember. The symptoms got so bad I decided to try wheatfree- not expecting anything much to happen
Hey Presto! Nearly flat stomach. It distends again a few days after I inadvertently eat wheat. Wheat is hidden in more foods than you can imagine.
You shouldn't exclude foods without getting advice. If you think wheat is the problem you should get tested for Coeliac by your Doctor before you properly go wheat/gluten free.

Frustratedartist Mon 28-Jan-13 13:29:48

Just to add I actually eat more food, but am thinner, when I'm wheatfree. I use wheatfree bread & pasta now. It's not a question of reducing my food intake & flattening my stomach

MardyArsedMidlander Mon 28-Jan-13 13:37:47

'Very thin but often get asked when I'm due'

^^ YY to this. I can't wear any floaty or smock type tops as I get people coming up going 'Any exciting news???'.
And I did loads of sit ups at one time and have great stomach muscles (my gynaecologist once complimented me on them blush) but there's always a litle podge of lard on top of them.

MoodyDidIt Mon 28-Jan-13 14:00:14

^^ YY to can't wear floaty tops etc - have had same comments angry

and i have rock hard stomach muscles too, due to all the pointless sit ups and push ups, but STILL a blob of fat on top aaaargh

interesting about the wheat free thing - as tbh although tummy was much flatter pre dcs it has always tended towards the rounded....perhaps will ask to be tested

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now