To think that mass immigration has introduced a lot of new diseases?

(61 Posts)
dolcelatte Sun 27-Jan-13 15:51:42

This is not an anti-immigration thread, not at all; I believe that the UK is richer and better for its tolerance, openness, and diversity.

However, has anyone noticed that there are far more varieties of 'bugs' around in recent years? Not necessarily serious but just different; for example, me, my husband and DDs have recently been laid low with a bug which involves not only high temperature, coughing etc, but also hands shaking severely, The combination of symptoms just seems to be more varied and sometimes more extreme.

Perhaps it's a sign of age, but I swear that there were far fewer types of bug around in my youth. Basically, you got a cold and it might take up to five days to shake off, but you knew what you were dealing with. Now, the almost random symptoms, eg a bug which resulted in severe headaches, can be a source of worry because it is not known and familiar.

In the past, the colonisation of various countries led to numerous deaths from 'white men's diseases', against which there was no natural immunity. We are now better equipped to treat diseases than in the past, but I do wonder if we are more exposed to a wider variety and/or different strains of bugs and diseases.

Perhaps ultimately we will just all be a lot more resistant to diseases as we develop new antibodies and immunities to these new threats?

RuleBritannia Mon 28-Jan-13 11:15:51

It's not just our travelling outside the UK, it's people from outside the UK bringing in their countries' endemic diseases like tuberculosis and rickets.

They should all be tested for such conditions before being allowed in. Okay, it will cause delays for them but it will do good in the end. If they have these diseases, why shjould the NHS we pay for them to be cured?

Muminwestlondon Mon 28-Jan-13 11:21:18

Rickets is caused by vitamin D deficiency, it is not an infectious disease. My uncle had it in the Netherlands in the 1930s. The reason it is seen in some immigrant populations is our lack of sunlight and refined food.

HotOffTheTropics Mon 28-Jan-13 11:25:00

Er...immigrants have to prove they're TB free incidentally - I had to go through tests and carry certificates that had to be presented at immigration upon arrival. So it's probably your lot.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Mon 28-Jan-13 13:03:08

TB is pretty hard to catch. You need prolonged close contact.

degutastic Mon 28-Jan-13 13:59:42

The BCG only increases protection against pulmonary TB to around 50%, depending on environmental background and location - it's not cost effective to blanket immunise the entire population.

The rise in incidence is due partly to the rise in HIV/AIDS and partly due to immigration - the incidence of TB is much higher in inner cities within immigrant populations from countries where TB is common. Patient non-compliance to the prolonged antibiotic courses needed to treat TB mean that there are various multi-drug resistant strains around too. It's worth keeping in mind though that while a third of the world's population are infected with TB, only 1 in 10 of those go on to develop the actual disease.

I don't really think that's what the OP is getting at though grin

cory Mon 28-Jan-13 14:14:16

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Mon 28-Jan-13 13:03:08
"TB is pretty hard to catch. You need prolonged close contact."

Dh's colleague managed to catch it during a brief visit to the (then) USSR. I know others who have caught it under similar circumstances. So yes, coughing on a bus was possibly exaggerated, but you don't have to live in the country for years either.

Harriet35 Mon 28-Jan-13 14:14:26

Plague will probably come back soon if mass immigration is not curtailed. sad The people in charge just don't care though. They hate the British people and prefer exotic foreigners that will work harder for less money.

MrsSnow Mon 28-Jan-13 14:15:00

Seriously? You want to blame all immigrants for random winter bugs that appear?

How about we ban all air travel instead? How about we ban anyone ever going on holiday? How about no more imported food? How about we all stay indoors at home and never go outside, ever!

cory Mon 28-Jan-13 14:16:30

RuleBritannia Mon 28-Jan-13 11:15:51
"It's not just our travelling outside the UK, it's people from outside the UK bringing in their countries' endemic diseases like tuberculosis and rickets.

They should all be tested for such conditions before being allowed in. Okay, it will cause delays for them but it will do good in the end. If they have these diseases, why shjould the NHS we pay for them to be cured? "

You can get immigrants in this way but our economy would collapse if we were to insist that every businessman/politican/academic going on conferences/returning tourist had to be detained and tested.

ratspeaker Mon 28-Jan-13 14:35:05

harriet35 where in the name of the wee green man do you get your information from!!!
What basis do you have for immigration causing plague?

ffs google the plague -its easy
For most people the plague is associated with the "black death" that swept through Europe so it's already here
Then you will find out it's a zoonotic disease, that means it comes from animals mostly from their fleas.
Then you will find Yersinia pestis aka Bubonic Plague is treatable by antibiotics

weegiemum Mon 28-Jan-13 14:43:47

I've had typhoid despite vax.

But nothing compares to the cheery bug I caught from the woman I sat in front of for 9 hours on the way home from Venezuela. I ended up first with upper chest infection, then double pneumonia, then right-lung dry pleurisy. I missed a MN Christmas meet cos of the pleurisy!! That woman coughed her lungs out for 9 hours. I had throat swabs and a bronchoscopy - all viral - just South American viral, whereas I'm puny Scottish!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now