to make my Year 10 Self-harming DD change schools next wee

(90 Posts)
bellejar Sun 27-Jan-13 15:48:39

I know that my DD is unhappy at school. She has no real friends and is getting more and more withdrawn and insular. About 12 months ago I spoke to her form teacher about a girl who was bullying DD (whilst pretending to be her "friend") - teacher said my DD should stand up for herself more. Last summer I spoke to her new form teacher + Head of Year. Nothing happened. In November DD was making herself sick so that she wouldn't have to to school. I told her form teacher + Head of Year who said to her "Everything alright?" She of course said yes. Last week I found out that she was self-harming and has cut her forearm to pieces at school, since November. She doesn't know that we have read her internet history and it is full of messages to Childline about self-harm, depression and killing herself.

We looked at another school (private) who instantly told me about 1-1 pastoral care + counselling for her. We have family there. She passed the exam with flying colours and she went in a few days ago to spend the day at school. They said that the teachers and girls liked her.

Now DD says she doesn't want to move schools because she says it's not that bad. She doesnkt ow that we've read posts from her saying how much she hates her school and that she has no real friends.

I think she is frightened about moving mid-term and also about the work she is going to have to do. We don't care about her A grades - we just want her to be happy and well-adjusted.

We told her (we = DH + me) to write pros + cons for each school.

AIBU to move her anyway?

Goldmandra Sat 02-Feb-13 19:15:09

an academy, not and academy!

I really should take my own advice and preview posts!

Move her. I was in a similar situation as a teenager and will now - literally - bear the scars for life.
She is clearly unhappy and this sounds like a fantastic opportunity to try and rectify that.
Good luck to you all and stay strong.

munchkinmaster Sat 02-Feb-13 22:33:01

In terms of the camhs appt if her blog or whatever is full of messages re suicide this prob mean camhs would be obligated to see her inside a week. I'm guessing you didn't tell the gp about this in front of your dd. you could call gp or better yet call the camhs team she has been rJeferred to. Just say you are calling with additional info and if they are not keen to put you through ask for the on call worker for the day. they may, however, only see you once for a risk assessment and put you back in the queue. One appt may be helpful though.

Good luck. As a mental health professional I think previous schools approach to managing self harm is scandalous. Also in my experience private schools are often 'selling' a particular type of education (whereas as state schools are necessarily mixed). Some are very academic, some very pastoral care orientated. So a school which is excellent at hot housing a certain type of student may just not be able to provide the support another student needs to flourish.

Good luck

FlipFlopFloss Sat 02-Feb-13 22:40:14

I cannot believe the awful attitude of the "old school". However, it has made your decision easier I bet.

How is DD now she knows she is leaving? Is she still dead against it or coming around to the idea do you think??

I wish you all the very best of luck and every success for your daughter at her new school.

bellejar Sun 03-Feb-13 09:03:01

Once again, thank you for your support. DD is coming round to the idea: we told her on Thursday that she was definitely going and she did look a bit shocked - I think she'd pinned her hopes on current school waving a magic wand and making everything better. I told her about the 2 sets of careplans from both schools and said that new school were more concerned with her as an individual and wanted to talk her through the issues which she could do in a privately + discreet way. What worries me about the current school is their attitude or "removing items from her which could be used as a danger to herself" - so in Art class the girl who started all this off 2 years ago wil be able to see the teachers scrutinising DD everytime she uses a pair os scissors and - boom - situation explodes. Girls aren't stupid. They can find out what's going on.

DD is sad to leave a couple of people behind and a few teachers - but I asked her if she wants to go to new school "a little bit" + she said yes. "A medium bit?" "Yes".

I will sort out skype for her and she can keep in touch with one girl in particular so DD knows that this friendship won't be severed (NB this girl is lovely but is a social butterfly: she is also friends with evil girl above who has told DD she doesn't like her + only hangs around with DD because of social butterfly girl.)

We do know that she won't change her personality overnight and, being 14, we can't organise playdates with the mums as you can with a 4 year old.

God, I hope this works out: I was wavering last week but the letter from the Headmaster effectively kicking us out of school means we now have no alternative.

Thanks Minutes x

bellejar Sun 03-Feb-13 09:05:31

Minutes???? Bloody phone. Mumsnetters!

stickyj Sun 03-Feb-13 09:27:32

Hi just to say my daughter self harmed. I found out from one of her friends, she still has a scar on her arm and she's 17 now.

I took her to see the Nurse, talking about her diet etc etc and made an excuse to go to the toilet (arranged in advance with the nurse!). Nurse told me that anything my daughter said was confidential but at least I knew she would get help. Not sure what happened but daughter has sort of outgrown it now, still very deep child but def happier on most days. Still doesn't really talk to me so I rely on her friends for info.

I hope your daughter finds the courage to stop and talk about the self harm to anyone who will listen.

SoggySummer Sun 03-Feb-13 23:35:23

I am so glad you have decided to move her. Her old school sounds atrocious.

Good luck to you and your daughter. I really do hope it works out well for you.

Primrose123 Sun 03-Feb-13 23:53:42

Good luck OP, I hope your DD is happy in her new school.

My DD was bullied in primary school, but didn't want to leave her friends and move to a new school. She was very unhappy though, and suffered from IBS which the doctors said was caused by stress. We moved her to a different secondary, where she knew no one, and she is now very happy. She has no IBS symptoms at all. I wish we had moved her years before, but at the time we didn't know what to do for the best.

Please come back and tell us how she settles at the new school.

fromparistoberlin Mon 04-Feb-13 08:01:41

thanks for posting

I soooooo hope she is happier xxxx

NutellaNutter Mon 04-Feb-13 09:37:01

OMG, please, yes move her without a second thought. Sounds like you may very well be saving her life!

saffronwblue Mon 04-Feb-13 09:46:43

Well done Op. I have learned that it is always better in this situation to do something rather than nothing. At some level your DD will experience that her parents are in control and you are looking after her. Even if she complains and protests about the school she will secretly start to feel better that the choice was made.
Good riddance to the old school!

Lancelottie Mon 04-Feb-13 09:49:36

Belljar, I know you can't organise playdates, but what you CAN perhaps try to do is be ever-so-available for giving lifts home from school events -- to people who missed the bus, anyone in your direction after late art class, sports events, school theatre trips, detentions but maybe that's just DS.

They chat and slag off teachers in the back of the car for ten minutes without any pressure, away from the rest, and it makes links.

Helped when one of mine changed schools, anyway.

zipzap Mon 04-Feb-13 10:23:49

Sounds like your dd has been let down so badly ny her first school - and the way that the staff have dealt with it and the head writing such a horrible letter is tantamount to them using bullying tactics on you as a family.

I would give it a day or two and then write a scathing reply to the head and point out all his failings, the failings of all the other staff and how they are seriously lacking in their ability to provide pastoral care and to deal with bullying. And how you now realise how quite how bad their 'care' was given what you have now seen can be provided by other schools.

I would then copy the letter to the governing body and ofsted... And see how they like that.

I would also try to point out that when you have been effectively forced out of school as a result of their failure in their duty to look after your dd, that you shouldn't have to forfeit the next term's fees, even turn it round to suggest that they should be compensating your family for not providing the services they should have (no idea of the legalities of claiming this but I assume you must have a contract of some sorts with them when you signed your dd up for the school). Might show you are serious - and they might compromise at you not paying the term's fees which I am guessing you would be happy with!

Hope your dd is very happy in her new school.

Springdiva Mon 04-Feb-13 12:52:48

I wonder if part of her reservations about moving might be because she is embarrassed about the evidence (which I assume there is) of her self-harming.

We do know that she won't change her personality overnight you might be surprised once she gets away from the unsupportive attitude and bullies.

I would definitely move her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now