To think that the council should grit the pavements as well?

(66 Posts)
IceyNicey Sat 26-Jan-13 18:38:54

DP thinks AIBU.

We live in a cul de sac and tbf the road has been gritted (first time in years!) and we have been able to get in/out in the cars fine.

But the pavements are really bad everywhere, its really hard to walk safely. I saw council workers spreading grit on the pavements by the shops the other day but what about all of the rest of them? Everywhere is really hard to get around, people are falling over or having to walk in the road.

ouryve Sat 26-Jan-13 21:26:58

Our council only manages to grit 46% of its roads. DS2 and I both have balance problems. We've managed fine over the past 2 weeks. I'm exhausted and very sore, but we're fine.

There's been days when the gritters have driven past our house every hour or two and only just kept the road clear for buses etc. The grit works best when it has the weight of vehicles grinding it in. All the same, on those days there were periods when the road was white. No way on earth would they be able to keep that up on the pavements and no way would it work when there's 4-6" of snow falling in a day. Councils are being expected by central government to make savings of tens and even hundreds of millions of pounds each over the next few years. They're hardly going to achieve that by throwing their already over strwetched resources into gritting pavements and roads that might be used b half a dozen people.

What our council does have is street wardens. They normally deal with antisocial behaviour, stray dogs, etc. They have been coming out and clearing paths from the aged miners' homes to the road. They will also do this for others who are elderly or disabled. Can't say fairer than that, really.

digerd Sat 26-Jan-13 21:37:38

Our cul-de-sac road has never been cleared by the council, but they did salt the pavements both sides of the main road. Can't remember it being so bad, nobody could walk in the road. Residents cleared the pathways < my male neighbour did mine for me, salted and gritted it>. I was very grateful.
In Germany the snow is dry and doesn't melt as remains well under freezing for months, so easy and safe to shovel and sweep. And we paid only Community rates of £75 per year which didn't rise for years.

cakebar Sat 26-Jan-13 21:44:03

Anyone who moans about the pavements who doesn't clear their own pavements has no right to moan. People are lazy. If you are not physically able, ask a neighbour and give cake/wine as a thank you. It would be so easy to make such a big difference. I find it hard to believe that many people have no one in their household able to clear fresh snow. Ice is different which is why you need to clear it when it is fresh.

Our council do provide grit bins and clear areas around shops which is helpful.

Boomerwang Sat 26-Jan-13 21:57:56

Where I live the nearest town has underground heating for the entire street. How's that for making sure nobody slips!

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 08:22:44

Boomerwang
Where do you live?

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 08:24:33

Just looked at your profile - you live in SWEDEN - good for you. Knew it wasn't in the UK. What temperatures do you normally have in winter?

EllieQ Sun 27-Jan-13 10:28:54

YABU for all the reasons people have mentioned above!

The cost of getting every pavement cleared and gritted would be very high, and wouldn't really be the best use of council resources. Our council grits/ snow ploughs main roads, some bus routes, and roads near schools, GP surgeries, and the hospital. They also clear & grit pavements in the city centre. This is obviously based on levels of use.

When we had that very cold weather in 2010, the council cleared and gritted pavements on all the main roads out to the suburbs, but this obviously cost more as they were paying for more staff time.

They have now set up a volunteer snow warden arrangement where members of the public get training and equipment (shovels etc) to clear pavements when there has been snow - you could always suggest this to your council and volunteer!

parttimer79 Sun 27-Jan-13 11:48:14

We live on a very minor road - most of the neighbours clear our paths with shovels and grit them, not sure that I see it is the council's responsibility to clear every pavement in the borough.
BUT the sodding station staff/National Rail/whoever is responsible had made no effort to clear any of the station entrance, platforms or ramp yesterday and that just made my piss boil. nb this may be the pregnancy hormones but if i'd fallen I would have killed them with my bare hands...when I figured out who was responsible for doing it...

Sallyingforth Sun 27-Jan-13 12:15:43

Completely impractical to clear/grit all pavements. It would need many extra staff taken on at short notice just when it was snowing.
In my area the council has spreaders that spin the grit out so that it would cover the paths as well, but since the roads are lined with parked cars it just bounces off them back into the road.

IfNotNowThenWhen Sun 27-Jan-13 12:49:15

Oh FGS.
This is what frustrates me about the UK. Seriously.
Some pavement isn't outside anyone's house, so therefore there is no point clearing youw own bit of pavement?
Aaaargh!

Of COURSE some pavement isn't outside anyone's house. But lots IS. On our (long) way to school, we go past some fields-very icy path. Then we go down residential streets, also sheer ice. If people cleared their own bit, it would still make the way to school MUCH easier and safer.
And btw, you are allowed to clear bits of path etc that aren't technically right outside your house.
Maybe get together with some neighbours and do it together?

lljkk Sun 27-Jan-13 13:02:00

No pavement outside our house. Only country lane, and I am not going to clear all that. Just am not, no matter how many dog walkers like to use it.

OTTMummA Sun 27-Jan-13 13:26:30

We live right on top of a hill, we cleared the snow 3 times over 5 days whilst it was still powdery, I have back and pelvic issues but I. Knew it would really be much harder trying to walk on ice than take my time clearing fresh snow. No one else has done this except on older gentleman at the bottom of the hill on one side. I think hills should definatley be cleared and gritted. I am thinking about inventing a buggy plough, a universal attachment for buggies and prams, I'm sure that would move a lot of snow from pavements :D

jellybeans Sun 27-Jan-13 13:28:30

YANBU

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 13:39:06

Our dance teacher lives at the top of a hilly country lane and said all the residents pulled together, cleared it and gritted it. Not once was a class cancelled.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 27-Jan-13 13:47:10

Invest in a pair of these. They're brilliant.

EnjoyResponsibly Sun 27-Jan-13 18:58:41

Ho I suggested the, up thread did another PP.

It took 2 posts to get shot down.

People don't want to find solutions. That would get in the way of the British approach to snow, which is open the curtains, spot snowflakes and go back to bed discouraged.

To all those who tackle snow as an inconvenience to be overcome with planning and appropriate clothing I salute you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now