To be disappointed that Dp made my tea in my least favourite mug

(176 Posts)
usualsuspect Wed 23-Jan-13 21:05:37

I have several favourite mugs, Is it too much to ask that he uses one of them and not the horrible thick one? I like a nice thin china mug.

grin

Ok I'm bored, sorry.

eggsy11 Fri 25-Jan-13 12:29:57

Starbucks mug (white inside) for posh starbucks green tea bags, not for useless asda green tea. That does not deserve posh starbucks mug - dp doesn;t learn

I hate having odd mugs, I like them to match on my cup hooky majig, but it is very neccessary to have one mug for each beverage.

TheMaskedHorror Fri 25-Jan-13 12:22:25

Inspired by this thread, I thought I'd hunt for some nice mugs. Mine are fine but very plain.

I came across this which is so bad that it made me laugh.

Anyway, can anyone recommend some cosy but stylish mugs?

startlife Thu 24-Jan-13 21:52:19

Ohhh I love this thread.

So tea in china mug, must be white inside.My DH knows this..

And of course when we had the builders they had to have their own mugs, I could not risk them using my mugs! Yuck

fossil971 Thu 24-Jan-13 20:56:02

My tea and coffee - Emma Bridgewater mugs
DH's coffee - Denby mugs ("cooling tower mugs" as the IL's call them hmm)
any herbal tea - Dunoon type bone china mug

One of the graphic designer guys at work I noticed today has the dark grey Pantone mug...he's gone up in my estimation.

grumpyskater Thu 24-Jan-13 17:22:18

Large blue and white checked cup or large plain white cup with saucer for breakfast coffee. First a present given 20 years ago, second carefuly selected in John Lewis on basis of feel, weight and looks. One of the Clementina mugs for back up.

Tea in beautiful green spotty mug, possibly green Denby if spotty one in dishwasher.

Feel very cheerful to know this is normal - what a nice thread grin

sittinginthesun Thu 24-Jan-13 16:49:17

wink

FriskyMare Thu 24-Jan-13 16:47:47

My mugs have their own shelf. Large Cath Kidston mug for morning tea only.

My family have learnt the hard way not to contaminate my mugs with theirs.

The worst mug offender by far are those smoky glass efforts.

nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 16:34:33

chris - stop using the nasty ones and start rotating the nice ones.

do it now, do it today! make a cuppa in a nice mug!

RustyBear Thu 24-Jan-13 16:26:14

'fell' sittinginthesun? hmm

RustyBear Thu 24-Jan-13 16:24:35

chris481 - I have learned the hard way that if you decde to use the things you like least to preserve the 'nice' ones,sod's law says that the ones you don't last will last forever, and the 'best' ones will get broken - even if you don't use them, something will happen to them; they will fall out of the cupboard, or get something dropped on them if they are in storage.

neveronamonday Thu 24-Jan-13 14:19:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chris481 Thu 24-Jan-13 14:17:40

In a home that very seldom has more than two adults present, we have something like 4 sets of 6 mugs and one set of two, all acquired at about the time we moved in. All except the set of two are beautiful, so I decided to "use that up" first, and preserve the good ones. Nearly 15 years later I still use the mugs I don't like, while twenty-something nice ones sit on a shelf.

sittinginthesun Thu 24-Jan-13 13:45:09

Haaa! I have just smashed one of the bastard mugs at work. It fell out of the cupboard.

nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 12:32:11

we've got piano key glasses which are obviously for the consumption of milk - otherwise, why would the glass be see through?
you can only drink white liquids, or the keyboard will look odd.

DH isn't allowed to touch the only one left, because he broke the other one.

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Thu 24-Jan-13 12:26:29

If a glass in the cupboard has the word 'milk' embossed into it, it has clearly been designed and manufactured for the purpose of milk consumption.

Why is this difficult for some visitors to grasp?

KirstyJC Thu 24-Jan-13 12:10:56

I have a mug for coffee and another mug for tea. This is well known in our household, even the kids know which mug is which. DH made my tea in the coffee mug last night so I made him pour it into the right one. He now thinks I am mad.

BookieMonster Thu 24-Jan-13 12:07:01

I have a penchant for Denby mugs. They hold the perfect volume and have the right "in grip" density. I've chucked all our other mugs so I can avoid "right brew, wrong mug" incidents.

OneMoreChap Thu 24-Jan-13 11:07:45

No preference as to vessel, but significant as to size.

Morning tea - quart mug or 2X 1 pint mugs
Rest of the day, pint mugs, unless Earl Grey in which case teapot and smaller mug.

Teacups? For visitors.
Real coffee? Pint mug.
Instant coffee, ordinary mug.

nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 11:06:43

nora grin

i know, he's mine grin

nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 11:06:25

seeker
i need a Pantone mug now.
shock

I was given a Ladybird (books) mug for my birthday last year and i can't bring myself to use it. it's in a beautiful presentation box, which makes it Extra Special.

shrinkingnora Thu 24-Jan-13 11:03:52

Aw Nickel, that's lovely <wipes tear>

nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 11:02:31

I have to have the teaspoon in my cup when i have my tea.

this is because the sugar sinks to the bottom and makes the last quarter of the tea taste bloody horrible.

my ex used to think this was stupid and deliberately left out the spoon when he made my tea.
why i never killed the bastard, i really don't understand.

i told my DH the need for my spoon the first time he made a cup of tea, and he never teased me about it, but made sure that every time after, he gave me the spoon. every single time without fail.
that's why he's a keeper.

nickelbabe Thu 24-Jan-13 11:00:02

you can't get rid of mugs you don't like - you don't know when you might need them for guests!

shrinkingnora Thu 24-Jan-13 09:54:56

Oh my god! It's this one. I'm selling it. I don't care if DD loves it.

shrinkingnora Thu 24-Jan-13 09:52:45

Also, DH's favourites are different from my favourites and DM always comments on how much she loves a certain mug when she has a cup of tea here and we both hate it but won't get rid because she likes it. It's terribly complicated being a mug obsessive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now