Cake. And birds.

(54 Posts)
BrokenBritain Mon 21-Jan-13 18:51:12

Ok I have a question. It is a little bit a thread about a thread, but am I being unreasonable to seek some clarification re bad cakes and birds?

I am an enthusiastic but untalented baker, and occasionally I've made a cake that not only looks like shite but tastes like it too. On these occasions I have binned the cake.

It never occurred to me that I should feed them to the birds ( we are v lucky we have birds where I live), I thought perhaps all that egg, sugar, chocolate, baking powder etc weren't very good for their digestive systems. Was I wrong? Does everyone else feed them to the birds? What about dogs, are they ok to eat cake? If I'm going to delight any creature with my cake castoffs I would probably rather it were my dog.

And if birds eat eggs does that make them a tiny bit cannibal?

Apologies for sidetracking from the more serious cake issues at hand, but am genuinely confused.

I feed my hens stale cake. They love it. Especially fruit cake.

betterwhenthesunshines Mon 21-Jan-13 18:53:40

It's never ocuured to me to feed cake to birds. But then I've never made a cake so disastrous that it has to be binned grin

BrokenBritain Mon 21-Jan-13 18:56:19

I admire your skills betterwherethesunshines! I sometimes get the self raising and the plain muddled up, or forget a crucial ingredients, and then it all tends to go tits up.

Cake is fine, the fats and sugar are good for energy, you can feed them
Pastry as well if you screw that up. This is according to the RSPB.

alfrex Mon 21-Jan-13 18:58:58

Very Funny angry

WhateverTrevor Mon 21-Jan-13 18:59:03

You are so lucky to have birds where you live .wink

BrokenBritain Mon 21-Jan-13 19:00:07

Oh cool, thanks binky. I will try not to bake any more shite cakes but if I do I shall give them to the dog/birds smile

CaptainVonTrapp Mon 21-Jan-13 19:00:24

NO. Birds (and humans) will quickly become ill and die if they eat burnt food.

Naysa Mon 21-Jan-13 19:00:56

I would avoid feeding fruit or chocolate cake to your dog. Chocolate and raisins can be deadly.

Birds on the otherhand need all the help they can get in this weather BUT don't start feeding them if you're not going to keep it up. Birds become reliant on certain feeding places and if you just stop it can be disasterous for the birds.

CheerMum Mon 21-Jan-13 19:01:13

Maybe a certain someone could set up a business making shitty lemon drizzle cupcakes for birds........

Naysa Mon 21-Jan-13 19:02:07

Shit. This isn't a serious thread is it? Sneaky shock

BrokenBritain Mon 21-Jan-13 19:03:34

Oh sorry alfrex, I really wasn't trying to be horrible, it genuinely made me wonder.
Hmmm, am now thinking maybe I shouldn't give it to them, am really hoping I don't turn out a string of disastrous cakes!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 21-Jan-13 19:04:10

NO. Birds (and humans) will quickly become ill and die if they eat burnt food.

Really? DH's granddad ate burnt toast for years, he's dead now but I think it was old age related rather than burnt toast that got him.

BrokenBritain Mon 21-Jan-13 19:04:57

No I promise I was being serious! I really wondered whether it was poisonous or not but didn't want to ask on that thread in case it all goes poof before I saw any replies.

You have a point about the eggs though, bit unfair on the birds to feed them eggs, as I presume they wouldnt know, hmm little bit sneaky by humans really.

CaptainVonTrapp Mon 21-Jan-13 19:08:06

Serious you say..? <backtracks> May want to get my previous post deleted then.

Unless hellhathnofury is onto something with the burnt toast.

CotherMuckingFunt Mon 21-Jan-13 19:08:30

And to think, all this time I've been lacing exquisite food with arsenic when all along I could have been a shit cook and burnt everything.

SanityClause Mon 21-Jan-13 19:08:53

He shouldn't have eaten all that burnt toast, hellhasnofury . It always gets you in the end. wink

SnowLiviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Jan-13 19:09:07

Ahem

BrokenBritain Mon 21-Jan-13 19:10:50

Well I might have been slightly sarky about being lucky, but the no birds thing did tickle me pink smile
But my question was a genuine one

BrokenBritain Mon 21-Jan-13 19:11:29

Sorry mumsnet, really not trying to cause mischief here!

Right, next time DH pisses me off, I'm "accidentally" burning ^everything. They will never know it was me <taps nose>

Pissing myself at the business to supply wildlife with shit lemon drizzle cupcakes grin grin

In all seriousness, food has to be quite badly burned to be harmful doesn't it? I recall it being on the news one summer warning about the hazards of the barbecue, think the classic completely black outside, uncooked pink on the inside, BBQ sausage. It has to be eaten regularly too to have any effect.

We feed our birds (we're privileged) my mil's scones. They seem to like them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now