Driving back form work in icy / snowy conditions

(19 Posts)
BumpingFuglies Sun 20-Jan-13 19:30:36

I had a job where the manager told us to leave early when it snowed - as long as our work was finished hmm

Usual time to finish was 5.30pm. We left at 5.15pm. Twunt.

Euphemia Sun 20-Jan-13 18:44:00

I'm hoping my school is closed too, so I can just walk down to DD's school and report for duty there. Don't want to drive in snow!!!!

Euphemia Sun 20-Jan-13 18:42:41

I'm cacking it. It looks like the snow is going to miss us first thing, but set in later. Which means getting to work okay but then having to drive in snow to get home. <jibber>

My lovely neighbour has offered to have DD early so I can go and meet my car-sharing colleagues, one of whom has a 4x4.

Will have to wait and see what the morning brings!

I hate this - I just want to get on with my daily routine!

juniper904 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:41:25

I'm hoping my school is closed. I keep pressing refresh on the council website, just in case it's been updated!

Not that I don't enjoy my job, but who in their right mind would turn down a day of drinking tea and being paid? Oh wait, that's a pretty normal school day for me... brew

financialwizard Sun 20-Jan-13 18:31:53

Op forgot, YANBU

financialwizard Sun 20-Jan-13 18:31:26

Splatt me too. Am dreading it!

Splatt34 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:05:39

lucky you. I drive 37 miles to work for hours 8-6. far more likey to finish late than be allowed away early.
YANBU, i am just jealous!!!

melonribena Sun 20-Jan-13 17:52:14

I'm a teacher and our head teacher would definitely cancel a staff meeting tomorrow. On occasions such as this in the past he has walked around the school 5 minutes after the children have left and ordered all staff to leave!!
It makes perfect sense and promotes good will amongst staff!
You might find the head teacher cancels it and you don't need to say a word.
YDNBU

fairylightsandtinsel Sun 20-Jan-13 17:51:40

YANBU in a sense BUT, most of us don't drive in these conditions very often, you just have to get on with it. The dark doesn't make a great deal of difference, in fact it can be helpful because cars with lights on are more visible than ones without them on a dull day.

The main reason for dd1's school closing early on Friday was staff getting home (and the bloody big slippery hill that the school is on!). Most of the kids are local and the staff aren't. Seems fair enough to me.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 20-Jan-13 17:51:02

YANBU. Getting in to teach is more essential than staying late for a meeting that could presumably be rescheduled.

Euphemia Sun 20-Jan-13 17:47:38

Our HT told us all to leave "sharp" on Thursday and Friday owing to the snow - makes sense, as you can get home in daylight.

NoonarAgain Sun 20-Jan-13 17:19:20

Chottie, thank you.

(I wonder if this is a good moment to admit that I am a teacher?! I didn't put it in my OP as there is so much criticism about re school closures and wanted an objective response blush)

Chottie Sun 20-Jan-13 17:13:41

That sounds like a really good idea, I would have no hesitation in suggesting it and if someone else suggested it I would agree immediately.

I understand exactly where you are coming from, I am not confident in snow driving either (rear wheel drive and automatic!!!).

NoonarAgain Sun 20-Jan-13 17:04:17

ok, seems IANBU smile
goodo

shellyf Sun 20-Jan-13 17:00:06

I cancelled all of our staff meetings last week to enable staff to get home before dark.Very snowy and icy conditions.

NoonarAgain Sun 20-Jan-13 16:57:41

thanks

Sounds like a sensible request for everyone's sake.

NoonarAgain Sun 20-Jan-13 16:53:15

I am feeling a bit anxious about the drive to work tomorrow due to icy/ snowy conditions in our area. we rarely get snow, so am not used to this sort of driving.

AIBU to ask if our staff meeting tomorrow could finish earlier than normal so that i can drive home in daylight? I would therefore avoid having to contend with icier conditions in the dark.

AIBU to think that getting to work = an essential journey, but staying late and therefore facing more dangerous conditions when returning home should be avoided?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now