Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be disappointed in my neighbours (snow)

(147 Posts)

So we have some snow. Not all that much but enough to make the pavements etc tricky. First thing this morning I cleared the front of our drive and salted it so I could take dd1 to work. Then I came back, took other dds sledging and then cleared the pavement from our house up to the corner. I did this stretch because otherwise it never gets done and as that side faces North it takes an age to melt and makes getting out in the morning (I cycle) a bit scary grin Fine, that's my effort to put in, not a problem. I also gritted it with our own personal grit and it's pretty good now. However a whole fine, not too cold day has passed and NONE of my neighbours has cleared so much as an inch otherwise. A family round the corner have done their bit and somebody else has cleared their drive and that's it. AIBU to be a bit annoyed about this. I know who lives in all the houses on our street. They are all able bodied. Two of my neighbours have watched me clearing the stuff and done nothing. Not even asked if they can borrow my shovel. There are lot of kids on the street and they've been rampaging playing all over meaning that lumps of ice etc have got chucked or kicked (looked like kicked tbh) on to the cleared path - meaning it had to be brushed again. The parents have done nothing to prevent this.

AIBU to feel it's a shame everybody hasn't pitched in? It would have been so easy to do this morning before it got trampled. Now of course it's packed down. I thought maybe I should do a bit more but tbh I'm quite tired now.

BooCanary Sat 19-Jan-13 17:25:40

YABU.
People have been clearing the snow on the hill up to our road. When I've walked past to go sledging I've thanked them even though it meant the DCs couldn't use the sledge on that stretch . If I or a close neighbour needed to get anywhere urgently I would be putting my back into sorting it out.
As it is, I am enjoying being snowed in, it's lovely to have a break from hectic normality and the snow clearers are ruining it.

digerd Sat 19-Jan-13 17:31:13

My neighbour always does his, but his driveway is shorter than mine and his front path is too. I do not own a car, so he today, shovelled a walkway in the middle of it, but forgot the paving stones infront of my front door, which I should do tomorrow and salt, before the postlady flattens it to ice. Prefer to walk on snow than ice. And you walk all the grit and salt into the house, which I don't like. The pavement infront of my house is uncleared.
The male neighbour 3 doors down, clears the small footpaths to house of my 2 elderly <80+> widows. But not the front paths. One doesn't go out, so just for milkman and postie or because she likes having things done for her.

CloudsAndTrees Sat 19-Jan-13 17:31:47

Yabu.

I don't clear snow because I don't feel the need for it to be done. We have wellies or snow boots, for walking on snow. I'd be annoyed at neighbours for being annoyed at me for not clearing snow. If they want it done they can do it themselves, why expect me to do it when I don't think it needs doing?

TheDetective Sat 19-Jan-13 17:37:18

Oh god YABU! I deliberately planned to be on maternity leave over winter (only off for 6 months, had to plan baby for the right 6 months wink ) so I would not have to get in my bloody car and drive anywhere in the snow for one god damn year!

grin

I am certainly not going out to clear it. Besides, its a main road. The road is clear. And I can't see the path as I am not going out in any way shape or form.

Next door have cleared their drive. I don't see the point personally.

oldsilver Sat 19-Jan-13 17:39:02

A couple of us on our street have cleared the pavement and salted ... my NDN went out dug a bit, then threw a kettle of boiling water over the rest. Guess who had an icerink outside her front door this morning not me .

HellesBelles396 Sat 19-Jan-13 17:40:37

My amazing neighbour (elderly man) has been clearing my snow unasked. I have made a point of thanking him when I see him do it because it saves me bribing ds to do it doing it. There'll be a couple of bottles of beer heading his way grin

'why expect me to do it when I don't think it needs doing?' - I guess I feel an obligation to do my bit and sort of hoped others on the street would feel likewise.

diddl Sat 19-Jan-13 17:43:18

The point of clearing the path is surely that it makes it easier for people to walk along??

diddl Sat 19-Jan-13 17:44:04

I hate this "I´m not going out so it doesn´t matter" attitutude.

No but if you posted - AIBU to stay in our pyjamas all day and not go out, you'd get a string of YANBUs

grin SPB - it is a bit mixed up isn't it?

'Woman clears snow - what a bitch!'

grin

McNewPants2013 Sat 19-Jan-13 17:51:21

I cleared my path leading up to my house, but not outside of my garden.

I did knock my neighbour door to ask if they did need anything before I went to do my normal shopping.

oldraver Sat 19-Jan-13 17:54:16

I've always cleared my drive and the bit of road (private) in front as our shared drive (road) slopes down... my drive slopes in two directions and is murder to get off in ice. To get onto my drive I have to reverse slightly up hill then down. I have never seen another house clear any snow, despite them all struggling uphill until last year when my next but two neighbour cleared the snow up the hill and piled it IN FRONT OF MY DRIVE

It seems this twonk now knows someone at Oxfordshire County Council as we have had a wagon come and clear the snow and lavishly grit it.

I do agree if everyone spent just 20 minutes clearing the fresh snow it would make it easier for everyone

I suppose like everything you volunteer to do what you choose. Lots of people volunteer to run things in our village hall. I don't but I benefit from them.

LessMissAbs Sat 19-Jan-13 18:28:32

Same here. Its only a tiny path to the road, and mine is cleared. Everyone here is quite young and healthy, yet there are hardly any other paths cleared. The snows quite deep and their feet must get covered in snow every time they use it. Wierd.

ProtegeMoi Sat 19-Jan-13 18:34:38

YABU I love snow, kids love snow. Why such a rush to clear it? We don't have it often. Wrap up warm and go build a snowman like the rest of the world.

ProtegeMoi Sat 19-Jan-13 18:37:36

Oh and grit contains antifreeze which is highly toxic to animals and has an appealing smell and taste. As a pet owner I don't want that stuff anywhere near my house nevermind in my garden / drive. Its bad enough when the kids walk it in.

ReallyTired Sat 19-Jan-13 18:54:30

I put salt down on our drive way.

I got a 25 Kg bag off ebay similar to this.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Salt-DE-ICING-SALT-25KG-White-/360568336729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53f38c3159

I have loads left.

As far as I can tell it contains white salt and no anti freeze. You can get brown salt which is a lot cheaper, because its un purified rock salt. The problem with brown salt/ grit is that it makes a mess of your driveway after the snow has melted. Brown grit is the stuff the council puts on the roads and I seriously doult it has anti freeze in.

There is more dangerous stuff you can get to remove ice in really cold countries. However it never gets stupidly cold in the UK. Sodium Chloride is effective enough in the UK.

gimmecakeandcandy Sat 19-Jan-13 18:58:56

You sound U. And very grouchy - so what if the kids are playing out front? Don't be such a killjoy.

LST Sat 19-Jan-13 18:59:06

YABU. I haven't got the time or energy to clear my own yard let alone a pavement!

twitchypalm Sat 19-Jan-13 19:07:50

I see where you are coming from op me and dp were out clearing our carpark and drive way yesterday. The dcs were off school i could't get in as village was snowed in and dp got sent home. We live in a block of 4 houses with a carpark and drive that slopes upwards to main road. Ndn went out to work neighbour next door but one is disabled and guy at the end got to work and was then sent home so was trying to get back. Me and dp spent 3 hours doing the carpark and drive shovelling the snow gritting it and the paths to make all of our lives easier even all the kids were out helping.

We have got a lovely clear carpark and drive now so we can all get our cars out. The NDN come home and moaned because we had put soem of the snow on here front garden which is all overgrown grass. We have all got piles of it on our gardens as its better there than on the road.

Delayingtactic Sat 19-Jan-13 19:30:50

So do you clear the pavement, like the normal street pavement? I live in a terrace and my door opens out onto the street but wouldn't think to clear it. There were men outside clearing in front of the church before service though.

But overall I can't believe you killed snow. Half the fun of ice is who can do the most cautious duck waddle to get to their car

LavenderBombshell Sat 19-Jan-13 19:33:55

OK so my reply is not a snow thing but in response to the doing something for someone else and the bottle of wine.

We currently live in a rented flat - 3 units (2 families , 1 single person ) apart from us 1 family have one toddler and one very tiny new baby. Person upstairs was complaining about the outside front garden bit where there are bins (and rubbbish chucked over from pavement (a busy road ) . I didn't like the state of the front of our flat either .

So one w/e DCs DH and I cleared all the front bit , washed out bins - bleached them etc. (it is an area where people walking by can lean over and stick their rubbish (roughly) in your bin . So we did it because we wanted it but we also did the other peoples' because the extra effort was not worth not doing it and it seemed like a nice thing to do.

The next day single person knocks on door & hands us a bottle of wine and says Thank you. They work long hours and had not had time to help . Family with young DCs some months later (after landlord had painted and not replaced door numbers resulting in post mix ups ) when her dad had put new number on her front door had asked him to put one on ours as well.

Not sure what I am saying here but I think , if people are nice and decent , then probably what goes around comes around. Sometimes people are not in a situation to do something at that particular moment . However I am a believer in doing the right thing and you will find the people who are likeminded .

If people aren't give and take then you can't make them be. It's just nice to find them .

That's quite a nice post Lavender.

Growing up in Canada there was a certain deadline by which time you had to clear the sidewalk (pavement) outside your house, otherwise you could be facing a fine.

My dear Dad used to do our path, drive and in front of our house, then next door on one side (elderly sisters), next door on the other side (single middle aged woman) then a couple of houses on the other side of the street as well.

Despite growing up with such an excellent snow-clearing role model I have failed to clear our path or pavement. Northern I now definitely feel like I'm letting down the side!! Must go and find the shovel in the garden shed tomorrow!

I agree LB. whem dh is out shovelling snow or cutting grass it takes him an extra 5 mins to do our elderly neighbours'. They are the ones who are actie in the village and church and help organise a load of stuff we enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now