to be disappointed in my neighbours (snow)

(147 Posts)

So we have some snow. Not all that much but enough to make the pavements etc tricky. First thing this morning I cleared the front of our drive and salted it so I could take dd1 to work. Then I came back, took other dds sledging and then cleared the pavement from our house up to the corner. I did this stretch because otherwise it never gets done and as that side faces North it takes an age to melt and makes getting out in the morning (I cycle) a bit scary grin Fine, that's my effort to put in, not a problem. I also gritted it with our own personal grit and it's pretty good now. However a whole fine, not too cold day has passed and NONE of my neighbours has cleared so much as an inch otherwise. A family round the corner have done their bit and somebody else has cleared their drive and that's it. AIBU to be a bit annoyed about this. I know who lives in all the houses on our street. They are all able bodied. Two of my neighbours have watched me clearing the stuff and done nothing. Not even asked if they can borrow my shovel. There are lot of kids on the street and they've been rampaging playing all over meaning that lumps of ice etc have got chucked or kicked (looked like kicked tbh) on to the cleared path - meaning it had to be brushed again. The parents have done nothing to prevent this.

AIBU to feel it's a shame everybody hasn't pitched in? It would have been so easy to do this morning before it got trampled. Now of course it's packed down. I thought maybe I should do a bit more but tbh I'm quite tired now.

greenpostit Sat 19-Jan-13 17:02:34

Nobody on my street has cleared any. I haven't either. I really don't see the point. We have just stayed home and played in the garden today and yesterday. I have 2 dcs and school was closed yesterday, as were all our local schools. Soon it will all melt. People are going out sledging, clearing wouldn't be appreciated I'm sure! Work for nothing IMO.

badtemperedaldbitch Sat 19-Jan-13 17:02:55

We don't bother here.....we have snow on every 7 years of so here.. Maybe it's not important to people l

diddl Sat 19-Jan-13 17:03:37

When paths are cycle paths, it´s really annoying to not be able to use them as some people cba to clear the snow, & I you have to keep getting off & pushing bike through snow.

I understand that some are elderly/infirm whatever.

I think you would only be prosecuted here if someone had an accident due to you not clearing.

I think this thread could really out me. Plainly I'm the only person with a decent stretch of cleared path in front of their house in Britain grin

thegreylady Sat 19-Jan-13 17:04:25

We are nearly all over 60 in the culdesac where I live. The exception is our ndn and when it is snowy he and his son go round and clear the pavement all the way round using huge snow shovels. They also do drives for the three lots of really elderly folk and won't take anything beyond a hot drink. I have been in bed with a bug and my dh is 77 with a heart complaint and when we got up today ndn had cleared and salted the whole drive and path. The man is a star.

OwlCatMouse Sat 19-Jan-13 17:05:07

We weren't able to do this because we don't have a shovel. I've bought one now though, only £7 so def worth it.

I have a new hatred for snow after yesterday, so I'll be shovelling away as much as possible!

TwoFacedCows Sat 19-Jan-13 17:09:21

I do not clear the snow! i love snow and dont mind it along the path, if it bothers you, then you clear it, but dont expect anyone else to!

MousyMouse Sat 19-Jan-13 17:10:25

yanbu
I cleared the snow on the path to the house (victorian tiles, so very slippery) and the footpath in front of our house.
the postman thanked me.
only a couple of others have done it as far as I could see, probably too busy sledging down the hill today...

Clickityclack Sat 19-Jan-13 17:10:43

I thought you weren't supposed to clear the path way at the bottom of your drive incase someone slipped on that cleared bit, they could sue you because 'if there was snow there I wouldn't of slipped'. I must be wrong though.

no, we do too, DH was out as were most of the neighbours. The couple across the road were out so long I thought they were clearing into the next village.
I took the excuse of the DC playig out in the snow to MN in peace grin and the snow DH cleared was used by DS to make a sledge ramp

TinyDancingHoofer Sat 19-Jan-13 17:12:33

YABU!

Stop killing all the snow you big spoilsport!

No clickity. You can clear any snow as long as you do it properly. The bit in front of house didn't really need grit tbh as I cleared it as soon as it feel earlier in the week. The bit further up did need grit as the first fall wasn't cleared so it was icier. It's lovely now though smile Our council has been recruiting snow wardens and giving them salt and a shovel then you just clear as much as you can. I missed the recruitment for this but will be signing up next year grin

You can't kill the snow! You just shift it round - so more snow where it matters grin

Unless like DS you come in with a snowman's worth in your boots

TinyDancingHoofer Sat 19-Jan-13 17:15:54

salt She salted, that kills the snow!

OwlCatMouse Sat 19-Jan-13 17:16:09

Ha, those of you saying not to clear the snow are mad. If its cleared its not going to be slippy and icy the next day. You just dump the snow on the side of the path anyway.

I like walking on a nice think sheet of snow, love the crunch of it beneath my feet. Hate when the paths have been cleared. Plus paths with thick snow are much less slippery that paths which have been shovelled and then iced over.

Rosyisgonnabeamummy Sat 19-Jan-13 17:16:42

The joy of living in the sticks with no neighbours grin

Mutt Sat 19-Jan-13 17:16:50

We have more snow forecast here right into next week, including a shitload more tonight. I'm buggered if I'm going to spend my Saturday putting my back into spasm clearing the stuff if it'll all be back again by the morning.

I've cleared enough to get the car off the drive (if I hadn't I may not get it off tomorrow) and I'll worry about it again on Monday morning so I can get to work.

Until then it can stay where it is and the kids can chuck it about to their hearts' content.

EuroShagmore Sat 19-Jan-13 17:17:34

We gritted our drive and the bit I have to reverse onto. We haven't cleared it (although it's mostly melted now anyway). I don't know anyone who clears the area in front of the house.

Its frustrating here because DH and one neighbour tend to be the only ones making the effort to clear and grit every year.
We live on a hill so even a very little snow can make it very tricky to get the car off.
As we are halfway up, DH sorts from here to the bottom of the road so we can get out.
What makes me seethe inside is, I know if I go out, neighbours from higher up will come and park, and never think of doing some work themselves.
I hate snow + cars.

Murder - my paths do NOT ice over (how very dare you!) grin Yes crunchy snow is fine - but eventually it will be ice.

I admit it - I have killed snow. Snow is dead. Of course there is quite a lot more snow still alive and untouched but I do agree I am a snow killer.

Ah, but your neighbours might clear the paths in such a way that they do ice over, in which case nothing has improved grin

I cleared a narrow path on our drive and on the path around the house, by shovelling/sweeping and then gritting.

DH is out right this minute gritting our cul de sac up the hill, and some of the more vulnerable neighbours' drives. The main road is well gritted.

But it is none of our business what anybody else does. We do ours for our own benefit mostly.

YABU.

I could have shown them how to do it! Maybe I should have done the clearing in my Boden mac instead of my scruffy fleece. Is that where I went wrong?

Ah that's true. I'll admit...I do it too. I love salting the road and watching the ice vanish. I love seeing cars drive past without slipping and thinking "I did that".
<must get out more>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now