To ask everyone to boycott ASDA online grocery shopping??

(83 Posts)
diaimchlo Fri 18-Jan-13 17:40:03

I am an old MNer so sorry if I rant on......
My daughter, who lives 230 miles away, rang me this morning very distressed. She had placed a grocery order with ASDA last night to be delivered this morning between 9 and 11 costing £140.

When she accessed her online banking this morning before 6 she noted that the funds had been taken by ASDA. At 8:30 she was contacted by them to say due to adverse weather the delivery would not be made. She accepted this as the conditions were bad where she lives.

She then asked for the funds they had taken hours before the items were due to leave the store, to be refunded immediately back to her account only to be told it would take between 3-10 working daysangry.
After her telling them this was unacceptable as she had 4 young children to feed and care for she was told to contact her bank and get an authorisation code, she did and contacted them again at 9:00 to give them this code, at which point ASDA should have immediately released the funds back to her account.
She was then told by ASDA that her bank needed to fax them before they would release the money, they promised many call backs which have not happened, my daughter has been left on hold for nearly a hour just to be given the run around.
I phoned ASDA head office and let them know that if this situation was not sorted out today I would be contacting the press and media... I was told that their accounts dept was closing in 30 mins and that the bank needed to fax them. So yet again she phoned the bank who refuse to fax them due to Data Protection and was told that the authorisation code was enough for them to refund.
Now she is on hold again to ASDAangry.

AIBU to feel furious that:

1) ASDA have taken funds that they will have known they would not be able to deliver at least 3 hours before the goods were due to leave the shop? Surely the staff would have been aware of the weather conditions outside!!!!!

2) ASDA are keeping hold of money (not a small amount) that legally is not theirs!!!!!

I for one will not shop there again.... the company I use only take the funds out 1 hour before the start of the delivery slot!!!!!!!

marriedinwhite Fri 18-Jan-13 19:17:52

Problems with Asda:

Poor customer service
Delivery services are crap
Store (here at least - Roehampton) always looks a mess and I recall slipping on their travellator once and cutting my hand (no signs) and reporting it pleasantly and given the distinct impression the person at customer services thought it was a pain to do anything about it. And, actually, the day when I was 9 months pg and asked for help packing and was told no-one was available and the cashier said it wasn't her job. The former, which I completed the accident book for I was eventually contacted by the LA because someone else took an H&S claim to court and they needed a witness statement and the former, the manager gave me £25 voucher and a bunch of flowers and an apology in the store. But neither incidents should have happened in the first place. You sort of get what you pay for.

Having said that the service in the local biggest Sainsburys can be foul and has been foul since it opened in 1987 - Yes you in Wandsworth - hopefully you might take note for when the redeveloped store is re-opened. It's so bad that it's worth going to Asda. My little Sainsburys round the corner in Putney is just so lovely as is the big Sainsbury's in Townmead Road. How can branches so close together feel like different worlds? Anyone from Sainsburys on here to explain. Anyone from Sainsburys like to explain what they will be doing differently once the new Wandy store is open because the service since 1987 has been out of step with the rest of the chain.

Good things about Asda:

The stuff is good quality
Branded items are cheaper than elsewhere
Shopped there today and know that the same trolley would have cost £160ish from Sainsburys and more from Waitrose but at Asda it was £128.00.

The savings don't stop it being a vile experience and I would not use their on-line delivery service again - is crap (frying steak instead of sirloin; Liebfraumilch instead of Muscadet, etc., hardly sensible like for like.).

And when there are problems - they really don't sort them out.

sukysue Fri 18-Jan-13 19:20:13

See I know how you feel but really it was a bit daft putting an order in for today
knowing we hqave been warned repeatedly about the red alert over the snow.
So asda will refund the money asap I am sure tell your dd not to worry it will all be fine .

PrettyKitty1986 Fri 18-Jan-13 19:21:08

The money will not have been debited from her bank account yet, it will just be an authorisation on her debit card. Tell her to phone the bank and speak to a manager. They will be able to reverse the authorisation immediately. The money may still debit at some point within 3 days if Asda claim for it but it will give her the available balance back immediately and a few days leeway to argue with Asda

Ambrosiacreamedrice Fri 18-Jan-13 19:23:56

Never had a problem with ASDA delivery - always on time, always got everything, drivers lovely. I deliberately ordered for yesterday so that I would have the shopping in before the snow came today.

diaimchlo Fri 18-Jan-13 19:25:47

StickEmUp at least you got them replaced and it didn't leave you in the situation my daughter is.....

As for Argos don't shop there for reasons of principal... completely other thread that was covered lat month!

I stopped ordering online with asda after this, ghost payments etc kept happening, the final straw was double the amount taken and then they tried again, couldn't as they'd already emptied my account so cancelled my order.

They were unhelpful, and 'customer services' did nothing to help, in the end the bank gave me a temp over draft to sort me out.

StickEmUp Fri 18-Jan-13 19:30:26

How do you know that I've not been in a really bad situation because of Argos?
Ive been in a really bad situation with another shop but I'm waiting for you to give me a list of your favourite shops so we can do a boycott swap.

I hope your daughters situation sorts itself out but we've all had issues in life and you really don't know im selfish.

Theres probably a few people who thought not on your nelly about a boycott but I'm alright about saying it publicly

newcommer Fri 18-Jan-13 22:00:55

Op, prettykitty seems to have good advice maybe your dd could try talking to the bank again! I'm afraid otherwise she may have to wait the 3 to 10 working days for the refund.

After that time, if the money hasn't been refunded, then forget phoning customer services as it is a complete waste of time, (I should know after talking to Asda CS for 6 weeks just to get a £20 refund.) send an email to the head office explaining the problem, and if they will not refund the money that your dd is entitled to then you will take the case to the small claims court. May seem a bit OTT, but I received confirmation of my refund within 4 hrs.

And yes I will happily boycott Asda online shopping, but yabu to expect everyone to.

zukiecat Fri 18-Jan-13 22:12:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

florry88 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:13:07

that is awful, also some people on here obviously have no concept of needing that money to buy food!

REally hope she got it sorted

Well I think asda are bloody great personally - good quality good value food and I've never had a problem with their customer service.

The situation your dd is in sounds shit but in all honestly you are very unreasonable for calling people selfish for not boycotting a shop they have no personal problems with. I'd challenge you to name any big chain that doesn't have many disgruntled customers a well as happy ones.

YANBU to boycott asda yourself, or even to ask for support as you have on here. However having a pop at people who politely disagree is out of order and unlikely to help your cause.

I hope your dd gets her money back soon.

AuntieMaggie Fri 18-Jan-13 22:20:33

Its not soley asdas fault its also the banks - this happens quite often and its a comms problem between the banks and retailers.

MerryCouthyMows Fri 18-Jan-13 23:18:20

I had a similar problem with Asda, not used them since. Bastards. Took 15 days altogether to get my money back. Also had 4 DC's to feed.

Had to take out a Wonga loan - you can't get a Crisis loan for this, as you will be getting the money back (eventually).

Fucking Wonga at 4300% APR. All because Asda Home Delivary are thieving bastards who tried to take the money twice, then cancelled the entire order because I didn't HAVE twice the cost of my shopping in the bank.

And the fuckers never told me my shopping wasn't bring delivered either.

Not darkened their website since!

diaimchlo Fri 18-Jan-13 23:33:52

YellowDinosaur I did not call her selfish for not boycotting on a whole it was meant as "if it doesn't affect me then I don't care " attitude that came over to me in that post.

As for phoning the bank and getting an authorisation code to reverse the payment, my daughter did that at 9:00 this morning and gave it to ASDA, but they have refused to take it saying the bank have to fax it to them..... The bank says no as it breaks data protection. Now she has been told by ASDA that their accounts dept are closed till Monday.... so that payment will have gone out of her account completely by then.

As for placing the order yesterday knowing they had been forecast snow was done in hope that the forecasters had got it wrong as they do a lot of times... but that still does not excuse ASDA for taking payment hours before the goods even leave the shop and at a time that there was already a lot of snow already fallen, so they knew there would be no deliveries.

ddubsgirl Fri 18-Jan-13 23:37:34

Asda you do have to help pack if asked! Someone was sacked for being rude! As for signs that's down to the asda aces and at times if busy they don't get to a spill straight away but if reported or spotted a colleague has to stay until a cleaner is there.

WorraLiberty Fri 18-Jan-13 23:38:02

How do you know that at 6am they 'knew' there would be no deliveries at 9am?

Think about it...

Most of the delivery staff were probably fast asleep at 6am and had no idea how deep the snow was or whether they could get into work/get home from work.

Just like the rest of the UK.

DeafLeopard Fri 18-Jan-13 23:40:08

There is another thread in chat about the same situation.

Sadly it happens regularly with Asda - and I believe Tesco too.

You won't get people boycotting because of this because for some people it is their only option.

I however have been boycotting them for years on the basis of their shoddy employment practises amongst other things.

Hope your DD gets a refund and food in her cupboards quickly.

ddubsgirl Fri 18-Jan-13 23:41:18

They would have tried to get out the money is taken from main asda site not the store so money is taken as the order has go out for del but the store have said its unsafe to go out

skullcandy Fri 18-Jan-13 23:45:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

When Asda did this to me I called the store, not the call centre and explained my situation, I was heavily pregnant, stuck with no food and no money and no transport and 3 young children and they got a delivery out to me (a member of staff in their car) and gave me a refund for the upset too. Is it the call centre or the actual shop your daughter called?

I'm sorry but I don't think you can expect people to boycott a shop because your dd had a bad experience. All shops and businesses are shitty to someone at some point, are we all supposed to boycott everywhere? I understand your frustration though and hope it gets sorted out quickly.

ddubsgirl Fri 18-Jan-13 23:49:26

Yes call the store your dd had ordered from and speak to them

expatinscotland Fri 18-Jan-13 23:55:47

I can only afford ASDA, tbh.

LineRunner Fri 18-Jan-13 23:59:26

I will look at Ocado as well.

See, OP, you are making a difference. MN does have 'word of mouth' clout, even if it starts small.

I am also sick of pissing Asda anyway.

RandallPinkFloyd Sat 19-Jan-13 00:14:47

Right, I can explain to you exactly how to get the transaction reversed and what to ask for but it's unlikely to happen over a weekend because you need asda's and the bank's back office staff to deal with it.

It's a shitty situation obviously, and it seems both your bank and Asda have given you the wrong information. It is was Asda who needed to fax the bank not the other way around.

It's rare any front line staff know how to deal with these queries as it can only be dealt with by the payments departments of both companies. No front line staff will have access to do it.

It's crappy that it happened but the rest of us boycotting Asda won't help you. If you'd posted to ask for advice earlier on I, and others I'm sure, could have helped you and it would have been all sorted by now. That's the beauty of MN, but tbh the thread title put me off and I didn't bother looking.

The funds will be released early next week automatically whatever happens. I hope your daughter has enough in her cupboards to last til then, if not hopefully she has kind neighbours.

flow4 Sat 19-Jan-13 00:42:37

I'm sorry your DD had a bad experience - that does sound awful - but Asda aren't any worse than anyone else, IMO.

I haven't done online shopping for a while, but I used Asda for years. Their customer service was generally very good IME - on the rare occasions there were problems, they sorted them quickly. They're very generous with their refund problem, so if you complain about any item, they will refund it.

One of my earliest experiences with them was years ago when I hadn't done much online shopping and didn't know how it all worked. I did my big Christmas shop with them, due for delivery on 23rd Dec, then went back to add something to my order without realising I needed to check out again.

The 23rd came and went, and no delivery arrived. I called them and discovered it had been cancelled because I hadn't checked out. It threw me into quite a panic, because I had no food for Christmas, two kids, no car, and there were no delivery slots left. I explained what had happened, and their main customer service people put me through to the local store. The manager pulled out all the stops and made a manual order for me (because the computer system wouldn't un-cancel it) and delivered my full order at 6pm on Christmas Eve. I was hugely relieved and grateful, and that great bit of service brought them my custom for several years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now